Operating Temperature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Burla, it was about 85ish out and wasn't towing, just coming home from work, probably about 20 minutes or so. Lately the coolant has been around 215 or so, it spikes at times and then drops, so I was thinking it might be the thermostat.
Coolent temp is based on your thermostat. It is what it is.

Oil temp Will always follow coolant temp to a certain degree (no pun intended)

My 6.4 on amsoil 0w40 will run 220’s coolant and oil in the summer but with the trans bypass delete the trans oil stays under 140

hawsk99gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Express 2016
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, who or where would I get that done at? And if I don't get that done will it be terrible if I didn't get my ecu unlocked and then tuned after replacing the TSTAT?
for some reason when I got the 190* TSTAT someone said from one of the other discussions on this site that I could get away with this TSTAT w/o getting tuned. Am I wrong?

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have a 2014 1500 with the 5.7 V8 and 8 Speed Tranny. I recently did an oil change roughly 2000 miles ago. The Temps lately have been going up. Just today on the way home the coolant was 224, transmission was 201, and oil was at 226, PSI was at 52. Those were all while driving. Also, upon parked, the oil PSI dropped to 31.
First picture is driving.
Second picture is parked.
My truck (2014 1500, 5.7L, 164k miles) just started doing this EXACT same thing... down to almost the same temp numbers. Same highway drive too, but in PHX. temps outside are about 85-95. I know its within normal operating range, but its not normal for my truck. I normally live at 206 absolute MAX coolant temps (usually 203-204) and oil at 210 MAX... again usually right in line with coolant temps.

I want to do a 190 tstat and shutter delete etc.... but want to figure out why it suddenly started running hotter before I do any mods.

Did you end up having any issues with the fan clutch? Any thoughts on this?

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just to update on this post in case it will help someone else:

I replaced my mechanical fan clutch (was bad/going bad), did the ags delete, and did an oil change (switched to Redline...but thats another topic!). So far it seems better. On the drive to work this morning, coolant touched 208 for about 5 seconds, then went right back down to 199, and stayed at or below 204 the rest of the drive. Oil temp touched 212 for a few min, but the highest it consistently was at was 210.

The drive home will be the real test, as that is when I've seen the higher temps... and the ambient temp today will be about 105. Fingers crossed.