Opinion On A Set Of Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While I am doing my lifters for the second time my tires are also shot currently have 5 year old cooper a/t3 tires the prices on those inflated to a crazy $280-300 a tire think i paid like $190 each when i bought them lol.

I have a few options at work for a discount price looking for opinions if anyone has had these on their truck I am leaning twards the westlake brand i think?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You're in the mid-to-lower tier of tires with those brands I think. I'm sure they'll work ok. IDK how long the rubber would last. How deep is the tread? Usually with less expensive no-name tires there's a trade-off. Compare their weight to that of other tires, and that there isn't a little less tread depth others. I personally don't have experience with those, but that's what I've noticed when shopping cheaper tires.

For a little more $$ you could get these (HERE) from walmart. Name brand, proven set. Basically what you had before. That's 1/16" more tread...or maybe half a year or 9mo more life?? Your balance costs are fixed...so is it worth an extra $120?? for the extra lifespan? Several guys on the forum are running them. I bought a couple sets 2 yrs ago from Walmart, and they're working out great. Super smooth running. I had them Road Force Balanced. Two thumbs up :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: (guess that was three....)

Last edited:
OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're in the mid-to-lower tier of tires with those brands I think. I'm sure they'll work ok. IDK how long the rubber would last. How deep is the tread? Usually with less expensive no-name tires there's a trade-off. Compare their weight to that of other tires, and that there isn't a little less tread depth others. I personally don't have experience with those, but that's what I've noticed when shopping cheaper tires.

For a little more $$ you could get these (HERE) from walmart. Name brand, proven set. Basically what you had before. Several guys on the forum are running them. I bought a couple sets 2 yrs ago from Walmart, and they're working out great. Super smooth running. I had them Road Force Balanced. Two thumbs up :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: (guess that was three....)
Thanks I will keep those in mind didnt see them when i was looking as far as tread depth they all look to be about the same as when i bought my coopers. They are giving me such a deal on the sets at work its hard to resist ahaha will still consider the coopers tho.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The treadblocks on the Atlas tires are large...they'd probably be less good in the snow. The Westlakes have a lot more sipes and 1/32" more tread than the Atlas. The tread blocks go all the way too the carcass and are tapered to kick out snow/mud. I'd get those between the two of them.

Tread depth:
Atlas 11/32"
Westlake 12/32"
Coopers 13/32"

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OTOH... larger tread blocks on the Atlas probably wear longer... even though there is slightly less tread depth, larger tread blocks means fewer air gaps between tread blocks... so maybe it doesn't matter. But smaller tread blocks and more sips generally makes a better snow/winter tire. Just look at what dedicated winter tires look like. If you were in FL IDT it would matter...but NJ..??

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How are they giving you such a deal? Are they cost-sharing or something?

It's probably a 'wash' between the two tires you listed. If your work is cutting you a deal, guess it can't hurt to try. Just curious if they're also giving you a chance to buy a name brand set with a little more reputation? Do you work for an insurance company doing a cheap tire evaluation? Ha ha. (just kidding)

Lot of tires (even Coopers) are made in China, USA, Taiwan, Viet Nam...etc. You don't really always know where said tires are going to be manufactured.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How are they giving you such a deal? Are they cost-sharing or something?

It's probably a 'wash' between the two tires you listed. If your work is cutting you a deal, guess it can't hurt to try. Just curious if they're also giving you a chance to buy a name brand set with a little more reputation? Do you work for an insurance company doing a cheap tire evaluation?
Its because im getting tmem at wholesale/at cost price the only other tire they had was a goodyear and i have always had terrible tires from that brand.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The tires which were on my pickup when I bought it (used) were a no-name brand from China. The company was a large company...I looked them up. They were low-ish on tread when I bought the tk, the selling dealership wanted a grand to put on some cheapies, I declined ...lol. I ran the no-namers for 2 years before putting on the coopers and they actually ran out pretty well.

But the Coopers run out better. Could be b/c they were road-force balanced too.

Let us know what you end up with and how they work out.

Why are you doing the cam/lifter job again?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Something else I've noticed... and this is just what I've observed... is some of the tires by Chinese companies don't seem to dry rot very much. Meaning they tend to last a long time. At least the ones I've seen/had. The worst seems to be Michelin & Goodyear's. The Coopers tout "Silica compound...helps wet road traction", and that silica part makes me wonder if they've been Goodyear-ized. Older Coopers I've had went many yrs w/o dry-rotting ...which is something to consider if ya don't put many miles on a tk per yr. Or they're on a classic car/tk.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The tires which were on my pickup when I bought it (used) were a no-name brand from China. The company was a large company...I looked them up. They were low-ish on tread when I bought the tk, the selling dealership wanted a grand to put on some cheapies, I declined ...lol. I ran the no-namers for 2 years before putting on the coopers and they actually ran out pretty well.

But the Coopers run out better. Could be b/c they were road-force balanced too.

Let us know what you end up with and how they work out.

Why are you doing the cam/lifter job again?

Have a seprate thread for lifters the ****** Engine tech lifters where tappy from day one 20k miles later it just let go the other day I ordered sealedpower lifters as mopar lifters are $1000 at the moment.

clay282

Black Betty had a child... named Betty White
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you liked the Cooper AT/3’s… Cooper discontinued the “AT/3” and replaced it with the AT/3 XLT which is a lot more. The AT/3 is now a Walmart store exclusive and it’s sold as the Cooper Discoverer All Terrain. I’m running them on my truck and picked them up on Black Friday for $150 each. Now they’re $179.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think tires have gone up lately like everything else.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Going for the westlakes the reviews are mixed just like the coopers posted above so its a draw Lol The atlas remind me more of my jeep tires the way the pattern is and they are LOUD I il report back when the trucks on the road with how they are.

Tom Davis

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Check your local dealership. A lot of time they will run a sale where you buy 3 and get the 4th tire for free.

Also, if you purchase through Walmart the install is free. They also have a road hazard warranty for $10, and it comes with free lifetime rotations.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check your local dealership. A lot of time they will run a sale where you buy 3 and get the 4th tire for free.

Also, if you purchase through Walmart the install is free. They also have a road hazard warranty for $10, and it comes with free lifetime rotations.
Not a issue I work for a dealership I am the installer ahaha I do see wallmart has some ok ish deals tho will see how these westlakes look when they come in.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, definitely let us know. So...the dealer is selling Westlake tires? Do they get them from Amazon, or from a tire distributor? Kind of a no-name tire for a dealer to be selling.

I bought a set of tires from the Chevy dealer a couple yrs ago. Mainly b/c they've been good to me in terms of parts and tech support. But even with their so-called 'great fall sale' ...I could have gotten the same cheaper elsewhere. But I was glad to shovel some business their way. Ya gotta do that sometimes. And they're good guys down there.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, definitely let us know. So...the dealer is selling Westlake tires? Do they get them from Amazon, or from a tire distributor? Kind of a no-name tire for a dealer to be selling.

I bought a set of tires from the Chevy dealer a couple yrs ago. Mainly b/c they've been good to me in terms of parts and tech support. But even with their so-called 'great fall sale' ...I could have gotten the same cheaper elsewhere. But I was glad to shovel some business their way. Ya gotta do that sometimes. And they're good guys down there.
Its a local distributor they have some name brands just not in my size we sell mostly car/suv tires not 20 inch truck tires ahaha.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I get what you're saying. When I looked up tires for you a while back, the selection was definitely less than like 17/18".