Opt7 led Flux x causing radio interference

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I reached out to opt already but I wanted to post this. With the lights on the radio is unusable. I didn't see anyone else mention this problem but when I search online in general it's an issue with led drivers. I didn't notice the antenna as I was working on the head lights

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
LED's or hid's Can cause problems with the electrical system on these trucks. Maybe there is a resistor/canbus adapter or something that can solve your problem

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I reached out to opt already but I wanted to post this. With the lights on the radio is unusable. I didn't see anyone else mention this problem but when I search online in general it's an issue with led drivers. I didn't notice the antenna as I was working on the head lights

I just installed the H11 FluxBeam-X Led's on my 2012 Ram. Maybe I can help out.

Did your bulbs come with both of these?

The LED Drivers
2fce5e7eb899b29f1f4f5bd18e9ac9f6.jpg

The ECM Capacitors
698b12320a9429346de673bf11c62096.jpg0d8faf7874246d96d36685c69070d43a.jpg

What year truck did you put them into and what style headlights? Duals, Quads, 13+ Projectors or Aftermarket/eBay lights?

Sent from hell via TapATalk

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My kit came with the driver and the cap pigtail. I put the h11 low beams, the 9005 high beam and the 9006 fogs in. The radio doesnt work no matter what i do. Just the lows without the fogs, or just the highs, both cause the issue. Not able to run the fogs alone but that is sorta irrelevant i guess. I read that maybe a ferrite coil on the wires could help. Has anyone resolved the issue with that?

I have a 2014 quad headlight.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My kit came with the driver and the cap pigtail. I put the h11 low beams, the 9005 high beam and the 9006 fogs in. The radio doesnt work no matter what i do. Just the lows without the fogs, or just the highs, both cause the issue. Not able to run the fogs alone but that is sorta irrelevant i guess. I read that maybe a ferrite coil on the wires could help. Has anyone resolved the issue with that?

I have a 2014 quad headlight.
How did you fit the bulb, driver and capacitor inside the high beam of the Quad headlights? Or did you cut your plastic dust cap to make it fit.

As for the radio interference, I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you tried installing just the low beams and then switching out each sides Driver and Capacitor one by one with the extras you have from the high beam and fogs? Maybe one Driver or Capacitor is bad and causing all these issues.

Also, it could be the polarity that is the issue. Trying flipping the polarity on the capacitor on both sides.

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How did you fit the bulb, driver and capacitor inside the high beam of the Quad headlights? Or did you cut your plastic dust cap to make it fit.

As for the radio interference, I'm not sure what to tell you. Have you tried installing just the low beams and then switching out each sides Driver and Capacitor one by one with the extras you have from the high beam and fogs? Maybe one Driver or Capacitor is bad and causing all these issues.

Also, it could be the polarity that is the issue. Trying flipping the polarity on the capacitor on both sides.

i was able to fit everything in the headlight housing, the HB dust cap barely went on but it did go on.

Regarding the cap polarity, i felt everything really only went together 1 way. you had the ability to install the cap either way, but only one way really seemed to want to stay together. I can try messing around with the various parts to see if i can find one bad one, that being said its snowing outside =)

I also noticed my HB isnt really any brighter then my LB. I read that is because the HB should be clocked at the 9 and 3 oclock position. Mine are 12 and 6. The post i found suggests drilling out the metal ring and moving the bulbs 90 degrees. I wasnt going to bother doing that yet but i am curious if you did the same thing or just let it go as is.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
i was able to fit everything in the headlight housing, the HB dust cap barely went on but it did go on.

Regarding the cap polarity, i felt everything really only went together 1 way. you had the ability to install the cap either way, but only one way really seemed to want to stay together. I can try messing around with the various parts to see if i can find one bad one, that being said its snowing outside =)

I also noticed my HB isnt really any brighter then my LB. I read that is because the HB should be clocked at the 9 and 3 oclock position. Mine are 12 and 6. The post i found suggests drilling out the metal ring and moving the bulbs 90 degrees. I wasnt going to bother doing that yet but i am curious if you did the same thing or just let it go as is.
That's interesting because many members on here said that they installed the FluxBeam X bulbs and they definitely did NOT fit in the high beam housing.

With that said, my truck came with Duals from the factory. When I swapped over the Quads, I dont get the function of the low beam staying on when I turn on the high beam. Something about Signals from the trucks TIPM or something about adding a sales code. It really doesn't bother me because these low beam led bulbs are so damn bright when I turn in my Halogen high beams it doesn't even look like I have any headlights on lol.

If I put the opt7 FluxBeam-X bulbs into my high beam spot, when I turn on my high beams it will look exactly like my low beams so I saw no point to spend an extra $110 on high beam bulbs.

As for flipping the polarity I was trying to explain it to another member on these forums and I ended up drawing up a quick image with my phones paint program. Now don't make fun of me for how terrible it is, I was using my finger on a touch screen to try to draw straight lines lol...

b729fc8952b2daaf6b28cbef0ea4bcf6.jpg
^^^^ Those are the Capacitors. Notice the one end has the #1 Tag. The other end has no tag and that end goes to your truck.

3c3bba4344894416499d4575b04282a1.jpg
If you look at the above picture, the white arrow is the normal way to hook up the adapters. study the end that goes to your truck you will notice it has notches on both sides (see arrows). These little notches are what locks the plugs together. On the one side, the notch is closest to the plugs opening (white arrow). The other side of the plug, the notch is closest to the plugs wiring (Red arrow)

This is what "reversing/flipping the polarity will do:
d8059235bdb5804ac8db5e5b337084f9.jpg

So flipping the polarity will reverse the power and ground wires. Your problem sounds like a bad ground. I'm guessing that one of your Adapters is backwards or all of them are. Make sure you hook all of them up with the same notch facing up. Then try flipping all of them so you use the other notch facing up.

Let me know if you need any more help with this or if the problem still persists after this. I have the FluxBeam-X in my low beams and have no bulb out warnings, no flickering and no issues. The fans are super quiet too.

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you switch the wires in the housing itself or just reverse the housing? The reason I ask is the connection only latches firmly one way. I can plug the wires in either way but it will fall apart very easily the one way and is fairly secure the other. Without backing the wires out of the plug and reversing them in the housing it doesn't seem like I have 2 ways of connecting them
That being said I'll try what you suggested to see. If it makes a difference

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did you switch the wires in the housing itself or just reverse the housing? The reason I ask is the connection only latches firmly one way. I can plug the wires in either way but it will fall apart very easily the one way and is fairly secure the other. Without backing the wires out of the plug and reversing them in the housing it doesn't seem like I have 2 ways of connecting them
That being said I'll try what you suggested to see. If it makes a difference

Try holding it connected and have someone turn on your lights and your radio. If it works, use a little electrical tape to hold the plug in place, although mine was snug either way I plugged it in so I dunno why yours is loose.

But I'm gonna bet it has something to do with a ground being loose or bad. There are plenty of other members on here with 2nd, 3rd and 4th gen Rams that run the Opt7 FluxBeam bulbs and don't have that issue.

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So im out of ideas.I tried ferrite magnets, did nothing. Heres what i tried:

I completed disconnected the driver side headlight and foglight.

I disconnected the passenger side foglight and high beam. I tried the radio, static is still present. I tried just the high beam on the passenger side without the low beam. The static is still there, I am not talking a little bit either, the radio more or less doesnt work. If i remove the opt lights all together the radio is fine. But any single 1 light causes the problem. I tried switching the polarity on the capacitor to car connection, no difference.

I tried using a 12 gauge wire as a suplimental ground and tried connecting it to the various components of the op7 kit. There was no change.

At this point i do not feel it is a single bad component as both the high beam and the low beam lights cause the problem. I do not believe its a bad ground as i ran various components directly to ground.

These are the flux X lights vs the normal flux fyi

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So im out of ideas.I tried ferrite magnets, did nothing. Heres what i tried:

I completed disconnected the driver side headlight and foglight.

I disconnected the passenger side foglight and high beam. I tried the radio, static is still present. I tried just the high beam on the passenger side without the low beam. The static is still there, I am not talking a little bit either, the radio more or less doesnt work. If i remove the opt lights all together the radio is fine. But any single 1 light causes the problem. I tried switching the polarity on the capacitor to car connection, no difference.

I tried using a 12 gauge wire as a suplimental ground and tried connecting it to the various components of the op7 kit. There was no change.

At this point i do not feel it is a single bad component as both the high beam and the low beam lights cause the problem. I do not believe its a bad ground as i ran various components directly to ground.

These are the flux X lights vs the normal flux fyi
What do you mean by "FluxBeam X lights vs normal FluxBeam?"

I know they are 2 different versions, but the way you wrote it was confusing.... do you mean you have one set of Flux X and one set is regular Flux?

Either way I don't know what to tell you man... that blows. They work perfect in my truck with no issues. I love how insanely bright they are. I don't know what to tell you to do to help you. I know when it comes to HID'S the kits are different for the 2012's then they are for the 2014's so I think your CanBus system is way different then mine. Maybe that's why mine work and yours don't (sorta).

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What do you mean by "FluxBeam X lights vs normal FluxBeam?"

I know they are 2 different versions, but the way you wrote it was confusing.... do you mean you have one set of Flux X and one set is regular Flux?

Either way I don't know what to tell you man... that blows. They work perfect in my truck with no issues. I love how insanely bright they are. I don't know what to tell you to do to help you. I know when it comes to HID'S the kits are different for the 2012's then they are for the 2014's so I think your CanBus system is way different then mine. Maybe that's why mine work and yours don't (sorta).

They are the fluxbeam X, all 3 kits. I am going to talk to opt tomorrow and try and get my money back i guess as there doesnt seem to be any way i can fix this. I even tried wrapping all of the parts in tinfoil =). I connected 1 led completely outside of the light housing and tried grounding the various pieces, there was no change, the closest thing i received to an improvement was when i strung the kit out from the headlight port to the center of the truck. If i held the led light in my hand at the center of the truck there was a minimal improvement.

here is a video of the symptom. https://youtu.be/b3SV_3tTVHw

The only other thing i am wondering is could there be something wrong with the radio antenna grounding? I looked near the firewall and did not see the antenna wire. I am assuming it goes right into the cab, which should eliminate that as the culprit since there really isnt anything new in that area of the car.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They are the fluxbeam X, all 3 kits. I am going to talk to opt tomorrow and try and get my money back i guess as there doesnt seem to be any way i can fix this. I even tried wrapping all of the parts in tinfoil =). I connected 1 led completely outside of the light housing and tried grounding the various pieces, there was no change, the closest thing i received to an improvement was when i strung the kit out from the headlight port to the center of the truck. If i held the led light in my hand at the center of the truck there was a minimal improvement.

here is a video of the symptom. https://youtu.be/b3SV_3tTVHw

The only other thing i am wondering is could there be something wrong with the radio antenna grounding? I looked near the firewall and did not see the antenna wire. I am assuming it goes right into the cab, which should eliminate that as the culprit since there really isnt anything new in that area of the car.
Yea I dunno man. That video is crazy. I've heard of HID kits doing this before aswell as led bulbs but I've never seen or heard it happen.

Hopefully someone else has had this issue with hid's or leds and can chime in. Otherwise I hope opt7 gives you your money back.

Good luck man. Hope everything works out for you one way or another.

OP
OP
C

cryptz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No response from OPT-7 today.. No Phone number for support, I really thought i was buying one of the better kits out there? Assuming i get a refund for these what do you guys recommend. After all of this headache i may just source a decent halogen bulb and call it a day..

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No response from OPT-7 today.. No Phone number for support, I really thought i was buying one of the better kits out there? Assuming i get a refund for these what do you guys recommend. After all of this headache i may just source a decent halogen bulb and call it a day..

Opt7 somehow became popular. I'm not really sure why.

I will never recommend using plug-and-play LED bulbs in a halogen housing. But, in general, there are only two brands of automotive LEDs I will ever recommend - VLEDs and Diode Dynamics. Both are American companies with high quality products and great customer service. I've bought a LOT of different stuff over the years and have decided it's worth it to spend a little more upfront and not have to worry about anything.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had issues with my hid kit for my 06 Ram and it took them 3 days to initially respond but once they did, their responses were rather quick after that.
Opt7 somehow became popular. I'm not really sure why.

I will never recommend using plug-and-play LED bulbs in a halogen housing. But, in general, there are only two brands of automotive LEDs I will ever recommend - VLEDs and Diode Dynamics. Both are American companies with high quality products and great customer service. I've bought a LOT of different stuff over the years and have decided it's worth it to spend a little more upfront and not have to worry about anything.
I've now ordered 3 things from Opt7 and never had any issues. I first ordered a 60" LED Tailgate light and it worked great on my 06 and now it's on my 12 and works just as good as it did day 1. Nice and bright, no led's have burned out yet. Second I bought the Boltzen Bi-Xenon 6000k CanBus HID KIT with Relay and Harness. I initially had alot of trouble hooking it up but once I figured it out, the kit worked as described. I did end up removing the hid's a few days later and sell them but it was due to the hid bulbs heating up my smoked headlight lenses and I was worried about melting/fire. Third are the FluxBeam-X LED Bulbs currently in my 12 quads low beams. ******** these things are bright. Nothing but positive things to say about the FluxBeams. Easy to hook up, worked right away, light output is rediculous!

Overall I'm happy with my Opt-7 purchases and would recommend them to anyone else.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the non-x fluxbeam version that have been in for about 18 months.

The leds I had in before the OPT7 bulbs caused EMI on the radio. My Morimoto LED fogs still do, but it only cuts out HD radio reception or very weak signals.

Did you replace the factory antenna by chance?

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the non-x fluxbeam version that have been in for about 18 months.

The leds I had in before the OPT7 bulbs caused EMI on the radio. My Morimoto LED fogs still do, but it only cuts out HD radio reception or very weak signals.

Did you replace the factory antenna by chance?

Do you have the Morimoto LED Fogs that RetroShop sells for $200??? I was considering buying them but if they cause radio issues I might not.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Do you have the Morimoto LED Fogs that RetroShop sells for $200??? I was considering buying them but if they cause radio issues I might not.

I bought mine on Amazon warehouse for $40 (9006 XB LED)