OPT7 Redline Tailgate Light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was being funny about the chrome but you are right. I went to tidy up my wires on the Spyders and finish my custom dust covers; I started and it took me 4 hours to do 6 wires and finish the cover. It was worth it but that was only the drivers side, damn!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was being funny about the chrome but you are right. I went to tidy up my wires on the Spyders and finish my custom dust covers; I started and it took me 4 hours to do 6 wires and finish the cover. It was worth it but that was only the drivers side, damn!!!!

My life story at the moment. I know a bit of everything but good at none.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOL took my dad and i all of 10 seconds to remove it. Having a hard time figuring which wire is which

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are tapping into the power for the led's it is the black and middle wire on the side marker

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah the owner of the truck is about 15 years my senior... so I guess that classifies as old man too. :roflsquared:

maybe its my age but I have always thought they are ugly! :puke:

My wife noticed the LED tailbar only today, it was dark and as we were walking to the truck I pressed the unlock key, all the back end LED goodness lit up like a roman candle. She looked at me and laughed about me having fitted an LED tailgate light bar. :roflsquared::crazy: It must be difficult for the women, I mean only a year or so ago, I'd be ******** about truck drivers and also made jibes a couple of times about LED tailgate light bars. Now, Ive become one of them HAHAHA. You guys dont know, I swear I hated the lot of you before !

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We tapped into the wiring heading to the trailer plug. We messed up bc the light bar uses five wires (4 pin connector and reverse wire) but the extender between the light bar and pin that comes attached has 6 wires in it. We had the wrong one for the ground wire. Once we got that it was a piece of cake. Took about an hour and a half (including breakfast break) to do something that should have taken 15 minutes at most.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO if you spent that time working with your Dad on a project it was time well spent!!!! I'd be a better man and more knowledgeable if I would have spent more time working on projects with my Dad.
Jay

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO if you spent that time working with your Dad on a project it was time well spent!!!! I'd be a better man and more knowledgeable if I would have spent more time working on projects with my Dad.
Jay

I agree. Sometimes i ask him to help me with things like that just to spend time with him. Plus i learn a thing or two along the way.

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to put this damn light bar in today. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere on here to tap into the tail light. Buying a 7-pin adapter will not help me today. Can anyone please link me to a wiring diagram? All the diagrams I found on google don't list an actual model or year so I don't want to go based off of those. And from what I understand, it is easiest to install one of these with the tailgate off correct?

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed the opt 7 last night. Didn't like the look of plugging it into the 4-pin trailer plug so I hard wired it to behind the 7-pin plug. All wires are hidden and tucked away with stock wiring. I think it came out great and I like the look of the lights. I used DVD cases to get a straight line across. Using the DVD cases makes it so the tailgate is not hitting, and I still have full access to 5th wheel. (and I like the height more because its not blinding when you're just looking at the truck normally.) I dropped the 5th wheel for install and used it as a back cushion while I was doing all the wiring. See pics for details.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 60

guarj17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you run your cursor over the picture, they are in number order.

All exterior LED's are going to get done now to match this LED. Reverse picture makes it appear a bit purple but it doesn't look like that in person. Looks way better in person.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 68

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am late to this but for future reference ( may have already been talked about on earlier posts) Curt makes a T-connector that goes behind the bumper where the trailer harness is located. You unplug the trucks wire harness from the back of the bumper, insert one end of the Curt T-connector to the back of the connector in the bumper and the other end of the T-connector to the factory wire harness plug. On this T-connector has a second 4 flat pin plug that you could use to hook the tailgate light bar into. Find the correct wire in the Curt T-connector for the reverse and tap into that.
This way you don't cut any factory wiring and everything is tucked away behind the bumper.

Found the link for it:

CURT 55384 T-Connector https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009FJ38Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hKt7yb1M887Q6

Last edited:

Chetperk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I just got the Opt7 flexible LED tailgate light and hooked it up to the 4 pin connector. The problem I have is when I press the brake pedal, only the right side works. If I use the left turn signal the light works fine. I contacted Opt7 asking if the bar was defective as the seal on the box had been opened. The rep told me that there is an issue on 2016 Rams the way they are wired and would require professional installation. I see on the forum that nobody has mentioned this and their bars work fine. Has anybody else heard of an issue with the way the 2016 Ram 1500 is wired.

angryneutron

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just got the Opt7 flexible LED tailgate light and hooked it up to the 4 pin connector. The problem I have is when I press the brake pedal, only the right side works. If I use the left turn signal the light works fine. I contacted Opt7 asking if the bar was defective as the seal on the box had been opened. The rep told me that there is an issue on 2016 Rams the way they are wired and would require professional installation. I see on the forum that nobody has mentioned this and their bars work fine. Has anybody else heard of an issue with the way the 2016 Ram 1500 is wired.

I don't have any issues with how my 2016 is wired. I run the Redline light bar instead of the flexible. I think the rep might be feeding you a line...

firebuff17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would double check your connections. I would check to make sure that you have your plug from Opt7 wired correctly.
Tell plugs from the factory/OEM should all be the same. it should be a standardized wiring across all manufacturers.