OPT7 Redline Tailgate Light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I only had it on there for about a year before i traded the truck so i cant really comment on its long term durability it was bright and all the functions worked well I simply went with the opt 7 because of its cost and so far I haven't been disappointed whatsoever it comes down to personal preference price and whether having the scanning turn signals are an important buying factor. for me it wasn't

Thanks for the info. Yeah Id love to have the scanning feature (just always loved the look of sequential blinkers) but the reviews I've read are scaring me off, between people having problems with the functions and the lack of interest from the company in making things right for said people. For the difference in price you would hope to see a more promising product.

Perhaps another idea, could I just get one of the cheaper ones like the opt7 and just wire the reverse function? Honestly thats really the only reason I want one, to have more visibility backing up at night. Like I said I like the idea of sequential blinkers but otherwise dont have an interest in the other functions of the light bar.

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info. Yeah Id love to have the scanning feature (just always loved the look of sequential blinkers) but the reviews I've read are scaring me off, between people having problems with the functions and the lack of interest from the company in making things right for said people. For the difference in price you would hope to see a more promising product.

Perhaps another idea, could I just get one of the cheaper ones like the opt7 and just wire the reverse function? Honestly thats really the only reason I want one, to have more visibility backing up at night. Like I said I like the idea of sequential blinkers but otherwise dont have an interest in the other functions of the light bar.
I too would like more light backing up i was looking at this on ebay and was thinking about giving it a try

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
having trouble posting the link to ebay but this is what i searched Universal Bolt On 840-Lumen 12 White LED Backup Reverse License Plate Light Lamp

johnbradshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1994 - 2002
Engine
99 ram 2500 with 5.9 24 valve
I would go for RECON since OPT7 is too cheap.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The recon one also needs another 50 dollar part to make it sequential turn signals. I wasn't spending that much for tailgate LED bar. Plus on my opinion the amber turn is nice on the recon but doesn't work well with red turn from RAM assembly.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
I agree on the amber turn signals not matching well the plasmaglow i had comes in two versions red and amber I had the red

Hazertmed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it difficult to remove the taillight and connect the reverse light on the Opt7?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
having trouble posting the link to ebay but this is what i searched Universal Bolt On 840-Lumen 12 White LED Backup Reverse License Plate Light Lamp

Thats an interesting idea I've never seen those before. I guess i just have the same question as to how bright it is but thats cheap enough to try and see.

Confused as to if this is on all the time or just in reverse? Seems like if it was bright enough for what we want it probably shouldnt be on all the time but the ones on ebay kind of make it seem that way.

Last edited:

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
I got the impression it wires in the same way and is only on when the truck is in reverse not 100% sure though I might send them a message and ask I would only be using it as a addition to the lights I already have .it was just a thought i was playing around with I am more leaning towards just swapping in a high quality set of cree led reverse lights and calling it a day and not messing around with more splicing and wiring on my new truck lol

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got the impression it wires in the same way and is only on when the truck is in reverse not 100% sure though I might send them a message and ask I would only be using it as a addition to the lights I already have .it was just a thought i was playing around with I am more leaning towards just swapping in a high quality set of cree led reverse lights and calling it a day and not messing around with more splicing and wiring on my new truck lol

Amazon.com: iJDMTOY® Angle Tilt'able 12-SMD Bolt-On LED Lamps For License Plate Lights or Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White: Automotive

This one on amazon clarifies that it can be either function you wire it for. I might just order one of these and give it a shot considering the price. Seems like they have similar problem to light bars in terms of being sealed off enough, might just have to add some extra protection.

On the crees are they brighter than other led reverse lights? I have some generic leds in there already but they dont really do very much for me.

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is it difficult to remove the taillight and connect the reverse light on the Opt7?

Not at all.

Drop the tailgate.

Pick a side (drivers side would be the likely choice).

Remove the two Torx screws between where the bed wall and tailgate come together.

Stand behind the tail light facing the front of the truck.

Gently but firmly pull the tail light straight back (not to the side).

It will pop loose from the two plastic clips.

Disconnect the lights and find your reverse wire.

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY® Angle Tilt'able 12-SMD Bolt-On LED Lamps For License Plate Lights or Backup Reverse Lights, Xenon White: Automotive

This one on amazon clarifies that it can be either function you wire it for. I might just order one of these and give it a shot considering the price. Seems like they have similar problem to light bars in terms of being sealed off enough, might just have to add some extra protection.

On the crees are they brighter than other led reverse lights? I have some generic leds in there already but they dont really do very much for me.

I have a set of JDM ASTAR's in mine for LED reverse lights. They do very well.. and now with the addition of the Opt7 bar with reverse function. I have no issues seeing where I'm backing thru my window tint at night.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-10-16-57-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-10-16-57-34.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 20150928_190538.jpg
    20150928_190538.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 574

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
...Then there's always this option for reverse lighting. I believe you'd have to have a set of led's to mount to it though because it's just an aluminum bracket for your hitch receiver as far as I know.

Attachments

• 34084_2000x2000.jpg
    34084_2000x2000.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 258
OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys, anyone care to school me on how to install the LED bar in a relatively straight line without having to remove the tailgate?

Advice and tips would be much appreciated. I already removed the plastic trim around hole where the spare wheel access point is.

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get a friend, or neighbor to help take it off. They are easy an it literally take less than 20 seconds to remove. It makes getting the bar straight a lot easier.

OP
OP
Limeybastard

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a friend, or neighbor to help take it off. They are easy an it literally take less than 20 seconds to remove. It makes getting the bar straight a lot easier.

I checked out some u tube videos and although not based on our trucks it did look simple. My main concern is jolt or something when lifting it off that may cause the tailgate to bump into the bed area resulting in paint damage. Kinetic energy is a ***** right.:)

Worse case scenario tape up foam around all the edges of the tailgate prior to removal LOL

PS Mines also got a wiring harness loom going into it.

Its times like this I wish the workshop manuals were available for download. I bet my bottom dollar if it were an import truck or vehicle then these pdf / service manuals would be freely available. I guess piracy and copyright is more strict for homegrown intellectual property than it is for foreign. Thats what I have noticed.

Last edited:

Space Monkey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I checked out some u tube videos and although not based on our trucks it did look simple. My main concern is jolt or something when lifting it off that may cause the tailgate to bump into the bed area resulting in paint damage. Kinetic energy is a ***** right.:)

Worse case scenario tape up foam around all the edges of the tailgate prior to removal LOL

PS Mines also got a wiring harness loom going into it.

Its times like this I wish the workshop manuals were available for download. I bet my bottom dollar if it were an import truck or vehicle then these pdf / service manuals would be freely available. I guess piracy and copyright is more strict for homegrown intellectual property than it is for foreign. Thats what I have noticed.

I don't believe you should have to tape anything up as long as you take your time and are careful. But if you feel the need to tape it for extra protection, Then you probably should.

Once you have the passenger side lifted off the hinge, pull it out till it clears the bed so you can wiggle the gate up and down as if you were opening and closing it, while pulling towards the passengerside and it should slide off the drivers side. There should be no jolt involved.

Just take your time and you won't hurt any paint.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got mine today, installing in the morning. You guys have any tips for installation?

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Limey we are just getting old...I wanna put chrome around everything on the truck, nice