Ordered Airlift 1000HD's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A friend of mine and I got our airbags in a couple of months ago. We warmed them up to get them softened a bit and slid them into the coils. Pre fitting the air lines by warming the ends to soften a bit helps putting them on the bags in close quarters. We both did the T fitting and one valve for inflation. We both chose to put the valve next to the license plate. I don't see any problem with weather where the valve is, afterall, tire valves are in the weather too. My buddy plans to use a small 12v compressor with a trailer plug on the end instead of the cigarette lighter plug. The trailer plug is more convenient, since it's right there. I haven't had a chance to tow my travel trailer yet to see how the bags work, but Memorial Day weekend will be our first

OP
OP
Damion

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How does everyone like the HD airlifts I just ordered a set

Although I haven’t used mine aired up over 5psi yet ( aside from the 24 hour 35psi leakdown test ) I like them. Last Friday I had over 600 lbs of dirt in two tubs right at the tailgate and the truck with only 5 psi in the bags sat like it does unloaded.

While driving I could notice the truck was using the airbags while hitting bumps and all was good.

I can’t really wait to try them out with a decent load

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed a set today with 2” drop rear springs, a package deal.

T.

09256C6F-7BBB-4874-816F-1130680CD598.jpeg

OP
OP
Damion

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You’ll enjoy them but the red bags aren’t the hd version. As long as you ordered the standard ones all is well.

I’ll probably never need the hd’s But for the extra 20 bucks or so it’s worth it.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your correct, they’re not HD. My bad.

T.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well got the bags installed tonight. Thanks to being plastered with undercoating I wore half of it.

The bags went in fine, the drivers spring I was able to feed it between the coils and up but the passenger side spring had a tighter wind and I couldn’t for the life of me get the bag to even start. So unhook shock and swaybar on that side and pull the spring. I’m assuming the two sides have different spring rates due to the gas tank.

Running the lines went as planned, got the lines run into the cab into the t fitting and out to a single schrader valve which I made a mount for and resides next to the passenger seat bracket.

I got finished too late to take any pictures of the setup but I’ll try to snap a few tomorrow and see if I can’t figure out how to post em up.

I’ve currently got 33lbs of air in them doing the initial leak down test. According to the book a 2-5 lb loss on initial airup is normal. I’ll re check in the morning before I leave the house and then again when I get to work ( about 10kms drive ). See how the pressure holds.

Shiva

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The instructions mention that on some truck models the passenger side spring had a rubber isolator at the top that needs to be removed. Did you check that?

OP
OP
Damion

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The instructions mention that on some truck models the passenger side spring had a rubber isolator at the top that needs to be removed. Did you check that?

Yes my truck had the rubber on top of the spring. Wasn’t hard to pull off

CantRepeat

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 2500 Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L Cummins stock
Do they make a self leveling kit for these bags? Seems a compressor with a mercury switch would do the trick.

OP
OP
Damion

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a self level kit available from airlift. It’s very expensive though. Handy $1000 up here in Canada. I can do a lot of inflate deflate by hand for that.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
I been thinking about doing this too. I was thinking about putting the valve in the under floor boxes in my cab - like a little cooler, splicing a 12v power source to a small compressor in the box and keep it hooked up permanently with a few inline check valves and running a small remote pressure gage to my dash. Then I will wire a switch to the compressor and can fill remotely from the driver seat. I thought about venting the box while also lining it with noise reducing materials so its not loud. Also I think i can get a pretty cheap normally closed air solenoid to bleed air off as well.

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Installed the red bags a few weeks ago. I like them so far. I installed the schreader valve in with the gas cap. Worked out great. 355d551b628ae174d3f7dc2de95c220a.jpgfc6b6aba42f537179e7a5a5f7070f53d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Although they’re not HD bags I did a separate line for each bag, for lateral levelling if needed. Ran the lines to the receiver hitch plate which had existing holes. Couple of poly/plastic washers on each Schrader valve and done. A simplified install for something that is there for those “just in case” moments. K.I.S.S. thinking in full effect...Keep It Simple Stupid!

T.

25CC5E89-AFE0-414E-8E58-F2B5926BA073.jpeg

Last edited:

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fellow site member did a similar duel line install, but he ran his Schrader valves to the lic. plate holder and simply replaced the lic. plate attachement bolts with the Schrader valves, which was cool I thought.

T.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
How is the ride unloaded with these kind of bags? Is it any stiffer with just 5psi?

I took my BOSS crap bags out, the ride was horrible when empty!

bryce88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
How is the ride unloaded with these kind of bags? Is it any stiffer with just 5psi?

I took my BOSS crap bags out, the ride was horrible when empty!
I keep 5psi in mine and the difference in ride quality, if there is one, isn't perceivable at all.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
I keep 5psi in mine and the difference in ride quality, if there is one, isn't perceivable at all.

Thank you!!! I will be getting coil bags it sounds like :)