Ordering a 3500 but which transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Phil3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
The actual list pin weight of the unit is 3100 lbs, unloaded based on average. That is directly from the manufacturer specs.

So, sorry to be such a hassle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Phil3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
First I don't think you can get a 4.10 axle in a SRW 3500.
Second Your original post you claimed a 3800 lb. pin weight, if that is correct your short box SRW you are pricing will be over it's rated cargo capacity by the time you are all done.
A decent slider hitch will be around 200lbs, A Demco or Pull Right auto slide is in the 400-500lb range then you have passengers and other cargo to consider. If you don't put some kind of slider in you will surly crush the rear of the cab on a tight turn because of the 6'4" bed. If you are going with an Anderson at 3800lb pin you are an accident looking for a place to happen, while they do save a bunch of weight you are extremely close to it's max pin weight plus you will still be over your cargo capacity.
If you are serious about this an 8' bed dually is the only body configuration to consider. I am talking from 20 years of experience hauling a 5th wheel trailer around the United States.
Ultimately it is still your decision and wallet.
I appreciate your input especially given your years of experience. I was wrong on a couple of things. The dry pin weight of the 5th wheel (2020 Van Leigh Beacon 39FBB) is 3100 lbs. That's a lot better than what I originally posted. And I can't get the 4.10 axle unless I go drw.

Walter Conrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020, 2013, 2003, 1997
Engine
6.7CTD, 5.7Hemi x 2, 5.2 Magnum
The actual list pin weight of the unit is 3500 lbs. I added 300 lbs to it to figure in some added weight due to the 5th wheel hitch.

If you are relying on the pin weight that the trailer manufacturer is listing, that weight is with the trailer empty and even at that once you add just one passenger and fuel you will still be over your cargo capacity for a SRW.

Once you load the trailer with all your gear your pin weight will be close to 4000lbs.
I have a dry pin weight on mine of 2800lbs. my loaded trailer pin is 3600lbs.

I have been down this road with truck selection before, trust me.

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
@Phil3500

I agree with @Walter Conrad .

I think you are missing how much pin weight you have.

I think you will even be close to going over GAWR.

That 3100 pounds is the empty camper. You need to base your numbers off of the trailer GVWR.

I am not a weight police. I believe payload and GVWR of the truck can be exceeded to to an extent. But once you get to a 3500...the excess extra capacity is already figures into the truck.

If I can get the link to work here. We tried explaining this to a member at HD Rams. He told us he hauled it for years with his 2016. He finally met that bump and blew out the airbags and damaged some suspension components.

Walter is giving you sound advice.

A SRW 3500 with 3800lbs of payload and a dry weight pin weight of 3100...unless you weigh 150 lbs and are going to be the only thing in the truck...you are maxing that rig out.

Either go with a smaller camper or a bigger truck.

Or hope fate is on your side...and do what everyone says...hook it and go the truck can manhandle it

Phillip Franklin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
I have driven both transmission and really see no problem with the Aisin....shifting or otherwise. The Aisin can handle more torque/hp and is bulletproof.

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don’t know if you already answered this but I think the biggest issue is how often are you pulling the fifth wheel? Full time? Pulling every week? Every other week? Go aisin. Once a month or less go 68rfe. I have a 3500 SWR 16k fifth wheel with 3500 lb pin weight and chose the 68rfe because we only go once a month at most and I HATED the unloaded shifting of the aisin. Food for thought.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca