Overheating issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You shouldn't use just plain old tap water either. Either mix with distilled water or buy 50/50 mix. Just plain old water has too many impurities in it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

atltopdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't found the problem yet.

What I do know so far is that theirs no cracked head, new fan clutch, water pumps pumping, belts tiggt, I have heat, and it only heats up if I'm sitting longer than 15 min in non moving traffic.

If I do I will update you guys.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

What I do know so far is that theirs no cracked head, new fan clutch, water pumps pumping, belts tiggt, I have heat, and it only heats up if I'm sitting longer than 15 min in non moving traffic.

You didn't mix OAT and HOAT antifreeze did you? I don't know what youres takes but you can't mix the 2, it will gum things up.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FurryWooki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did I miss it or have you replaced the thermostat yet?

My 4.7 had a new water pump and thermostat replaced about 3 years ago. Then last summer it started overheating in traffic. My radiator and hoses had a lot of grit inside. Very fine sand-like stuff compacted in the radiator. Apparently an issue with some 4.7's from the factory. Replaced the radiator and cleaned the hoses. Temps got noticeably better but still overheated in traffic or at a stand still. I replaced the thermostat with OEM and it's been good ever since.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Could the fan be on backwards? it's fairly easy for it to happen. It will still move air just not enough, and once you're up to speed your speed will push the air through.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Could the fan be on backwards? it's fairly easy for it to happen. It will still move air just not enough, and once you're up to speed your speed will push the air through.
I’m not to sure that’s possible, I very well could be wrong but I thought the blades only install one way.

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
On my 02 5.9 v8 it could be flipped.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Did the thermostat ever get checked? You could just take it out to see.

OP
OP
A

atltopdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well guys here's my update. Truck has 4.7 that runs hit while sitting and cool while driving. The radiator was 3 yrs old. The water pump and thermostat was about a year old.

I know the symptoms to be a flow problem. So, the water pump was leaking around the gasket. It had a lifetime warranty so why just change the oring gasket? May as well change the pump it was free. Still ran hot.

Change thermostat. Still ran hot.

Radiator cap still ran hot.

Bleed air from system. Still ran hot.

Fan clutch replaced but still ran hot.

No the problems got worse bedorb it got better. Now instead of running hot in traffic or the drive through. It ran hot while driving. And left me stranded 3 times. It no longer cooled off.

As I'm about to just give the truck to the salvage man. I thought about it and said self? Self said yes. I said we've tried everything. The radiators not full of crud. It looks clean but maybe we will give a new radiator a try. It's only $130 after my discount. I bit the bullet and bought a radiator from advance and Like magic it hasn't run hot again in over 2 weeks of traffic and a/c running.

I'm happy again with my old truck and the salvage yard didn't get it either.

I broke open the radiator and it was clean but still clogged

2003MOPAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For what it's worth to anyone else with this same overheating issue here's what I did:

- Cooler thermostat (165 F) (Good results)
- AFE Cool Air Kit (Good results)
- Remove the P.O.S. fan, install an E-fan (The Best Result)