P0305 on V6 3.7 can't find the problem.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

voyteck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertech 3.7
Gentleman here we are again posting on a failure.
Have a Ram 2012 V6 3.7lt about a month ago i start the replacement of electrical parts because of a little vibration and a code P0303 on dash. So i replace the 3 coils, then the spark plugs and the truck was back again working great. The code went off. In this event the vibration was only at low rpms but the engine was able to stay on.
Well, last week my father took the truck as a normal for a close trip to downtown and while he was on a red light the truck started to vibrate a lot, the CEL was blinking on the dash and the engine could barely stay on. He return home with this condition and after he parked and shut off the truck, the nightmare began. I go to check and the truck did not want to turn on, and when it get it, the engine was shaking a lot, CEL flashing and dies if you dont accelerate. But even if you accelerate the truck sometimes would not stay on. The engine is hard to start, and when you get it going the engine wont stay on, it shakes a lot, the rpm act random. If you press the pedal to help the engine to stay on, the rpm will stay high for a moment and suddenly it appears to correct or i guess "protect" the engine at drop the rpms.
Well, at this moment i have replaced spark plugs, sparkplug wires, all coils new, new MAP sensor, check the gas pump pressure. Clean the air temp sensor on the air box, clean plugs of all the components listed. The error code still the same P0305. I have changed the position of the coils, put back and old one, took out all the spark plugs and they were black, like the engine is not making a good combustion. Also you can tell this because it smells like raw gasoline.

Any one has a clue where to check next. It has been scanned but the 2 mechanics only get the P0305 code, everything else seems fine. I also take the valve cover off to check if the cyl 5 is not with a problem on the valves or the common drop of the rocker arms but NO, everything was OK.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Sounds like the fuel injectors might be the next part replacement, sounds like everything else in the fuel/air system that could probably causing this has been replaced. It might be worth doing a compression check in the cylinders.

OP
OP
V

voyteck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertech 3.7
Thanks for the prompt response. I have made a lot of research but still can not find the problem. Other elements that are possibly related as far as i have seen on videos is the Throttle body position sensor, the camshaft sensor, the crankshaft sensor. But i guess will include the injectors as you pointed.

OP
OP
V

voyteck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertech 3.7
Also forgot to mention that the truck has only 160,000 km so for me is a little confusing how a relative low mileage truck could be having this type of issues.
Other sympthom is that when you press the gas pedal the engine runs clear, no weird noises or metalic. But when you take out your foot the engine struggles to keep running and ends stopping.
As i mentioned the problem appears from no where, the truck was running great. Didn't have any loss of power, or hesitation while driving or pressing the gas pedal. Thats why i do not think the problem could be from the fuel supply but at this point i think getting a priest could be considered too :(

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
V

voyteck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Powertech 3.7

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well, was all I found, sorry.