P77 Recall Pinion nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
About a week ago as I was pulling into work my pinion backed completely off. Luckily I was only going about 10 mph when my driveshaft dropped. The pinion had backed into the housing and the differential was completely locked up. I was able to put it back together and pull the pinion back out and get it to move, and when I tightened the pinion nut I put some red loctite on it. On the way home, I noticed some pretty good whining from the rear. Since I put it back together myself with loctite, did I screw myself out of having the rear end rebuilt under the recall? I was right in the middle of a busy shipping entrance to the plant and had to move the truck asap.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your pinion bearings are probably bad and hope you didn't damage the worm and ring gear, your probably better off getting a rear end out of a scrap yard.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
About a week ago as I was pulling into work my pinion backed completely off. Luckily I was only going about 10 mph when my driveshaft dropped. The pinion had backed into the housing and the differential was completely locked up. I was able to put it back together and pull the pinion back out and get it to move, and when I tightened the pinion nut I put some red loctite on it. On the way home, I noticed some pretty good whining from the rear. Since I put it back together myself with loctite, did I screw myself out of having the rear end rebuilt under the recall? I was right in the middle of a busy shipping entrance to the plant and had to move the truck asap.

How often did you change your gear oil?

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I change the gear oil once every summer, so prolly every 10 to 12k. On the 05 the is a recall if this happens they will rebuild it, but since I put the nut back on it myself instead of having it towed to the dealership, I'm wondering if they will still fix it

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update. They are rebuilding the rear differential under the recall. Happy with Ram again.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Update. They are rebuilding the rear differential under the recall. Happy with Ram again.

Happy to hear this, dtomlin. If you need any assistance at any time, please send us a private message.

Kate
RamCares

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update to the update. Apparently the frame is rusted right at the lift contact point, so it cant be fixed until I find someone to take care of the frame. Frustrated beyond belief right now. Need at least another year out of this truck before I can buy a newer one.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Update to the update. Apparently the frame is rusted right at the lift contact point, so it cant be fixed until I find someone to take care of the frame. Frustrated beyond belief right now. Need at least another year out of this truck before I can buy a newer one.

I regret to hear that, dtomlin. Will you be having the frame repaired at this time? Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Kate
RamCares

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I regret to hear that, dtomlin. Will you be having the frame repaired at this time? Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Kate
RamCares
I am as soon as I can. I sent a picture to a friend who does commercial truck work and he said that since it's such a small area that it can be plated and welded without any negative effects to the rest of the frame. Just have to wait until next Friday, and he's about 150 miles from me.

El Huapo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4X4 Warlock 1500 Classic DS w/3.55 LSD
Engine
V6 flex
I am as soon as I can. I sent a picture to a friend who does commercial truck work and he said that since it's such a small area that it can be plated and welded without any negative effects to the rest of the frame. Just have to wait until next Friday, and he's about 150 miles from me.

might be smart to trailer it?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a

Understood, dtomlin. Please keep us updated.

Kate
RamCares

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went ahead and plated the frame myself with some 1/4 inch. Definitely not the prettiest welds, but it passed the BFH test. Also ran some heavy angle under the whole section of the frame to spread the weight. Now I get the differential done this Thursday and can start driving the truck again. About all that I have left to replace is the evaporator core for the AC to work

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a quick update. Still not fixed but cant be helped. My dealer is completely closed due to COVID 19, but once they open again. I'll reschedule to get it done.

pajeepman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Bummer. In PA dealers and independent shops are open for repairs but no sales of vehicles in the state. Dealers are advertising on TV that their repair bays are open.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I change the gear oil once every summer, so prolly every 10 to 12k. On the 05 the is a recall if this happens they will rebuild it, but since I put the nut back on it myself instead of having it towed to the dealership, I'm wondering if they will still fix it

take it there dont say anything I change gears so no warrity on it testing it the broke or damage nut I went to ring and pinon place there put new nut on fixed it all so lucky toad truck got it there they sad ! they have bad nuts and got a better one on line bigger wider 2 times more and had a flange on it too

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They've already checked it out and I've got the paperwork that they're doing the gears and everything. They closed while the parts were ordered. Most of the dealer service is open here, but the closest dodge/ram dealer to me closed everything.

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Understood, dtomlin. Please keep us updated.

Kate
RamCares
They've now had the truck since Monday. Should I have at least been offered a courtesy vehicle? I contacted the dealership on Tuesday and was told they had to order parts that would be in on Thursday. Contacted them today and was told it would probably be next Monday before its finished. Is this normal?

G8rDuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What year is your truck? Thought the recall was only on 09-10?

Just had this happen to my 07 and I’ve spent about $600 in parts while me and my friend are rebuilding it this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dtomlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
P77 was for 2005. Got it back and it's all good

G8rDuc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting they would skip a couple of years inbetween for the recall. :( glad yours is good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk