Parking Brake Cable....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamthisGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
There are no stupid questions...here's the test.
(see pic):
What is this cable on the driver's side that runs the length of the truck...except for where it seems to have pulled apart? Parking brake?IMG_20200912_110519_1600217949188.jpg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are no stupid questions...here's the test.
(see pic):
What is this cable on the driver's side that runs the length of the truck...except for where it seems to have pulled apart? Parking brake?View attachment 221602
Yes, that's the parking brake. You should be able to re attach it. You may need to adjust it or try to figure out why someone decided to disconnect it. Possibly because it's not long enough if the truck is lifted.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RamthisGirl

RamthisGirl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Yes it is lifted. I'm having the rack & pinion replaced this weekend so I'll have 'em take a closer look at the parking brake as well.

Thank you for your time & input.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, it doesn't look like it's missing any of it's jiggly bits, but it may have been disconnected on purpose.

Not sure of your location, but it's not uncommon for the parking brake mechanisms to rust solid at each rear wheel in as little as 2-3yrs from new if you live in the rust belt. I've got some threads and posts on how I've freed them up in the past.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
On my 2016 the cable became so loose, or something broke, last year that it hung below the frame. I tightened the cable and it seemed to be mostly happy after that. I didn't inspect the mechanism at the wheel as I was trading it in soon and it worked, but for that much slack I fear something was not right as it was a lot to be a sudden cable stretch. I'm not just in the rust belt, I'm pretty sure we wear that belt with pride in New Hampshire; we like salt and pre-treating the roads like crazy.