Parking brake settings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDutyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 2021 has a loose parking brake set up: pedal to the metal and too little grab when on a hil. Who out there adjusts your own emergency brakes?

Do the brake cables come off the arm hook sometimes? Had that happen on a Ford.

Do you raise a wheel and adjust the starwheel or is there a leading cable adjuster under the driver's door?

Do you spin the wheel and see if the drag isn't too bad? I don't think my Tradesman has a Limited slip, so the wheel should turn ok for my drag test, right? Is it best to chock front wheels and jack up both back wheels?

I had the dealership check the parking brake out. Wrench loosened the brakes. Probably would have killed somebody back in the days of manual adjusters and true brake shoes...

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
img0548eq.jpg

img0547fi.jpg

img0546c.jpg

yHOyyy.jpg

Does the cable in these images SAG ?

There should be star wheel adjusters with a rubber plug in both rear backing plates, a bit of penetrant squirted on the adjusters may work something loose

Last edited:
OP
OP
RamDutyl

RamDutyl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the quick response. I'll check that out. I don't see any kind of mid-run adjuster that tightens both cables w/o going to the star wheels. I guess it's engineered to put the pedal to the floor if you use it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Thanks for the quick response. I'll check that out. I don't see any kind of mid-run adjuster that tightens both cables w/o going to the star wheels. I guess it's engineered to put the pedal to the floor if you use it.
If you look where the two cables go to one, there is a nut on a long threaded rod. That’s the adjuster for taking up cable slack. I would start there.