Pearl Coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kong79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I love the way the Delmonico Red Pearlcoat looks out in the sun but in the garage it just doesn't have the shine and reflection I'd like. I've noticed this on Rams black pearlcoat paint also. Up close it's great but back away and it loses the shine and looks like it's dusty. You can really see the orange peel in the clear/pearl coat but is this how it's supposed to look and can it be wet sanded and buffed out?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
@Pull Ya can probably help with that question

Black 20 Ram

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a lot of orange peel, the answer is yes it can be color sanded to take the orange peel out, then buff polished and waxed. Because the paint depth on these trucks is pretty inconsistent I'd have a couple of suggestions. One if you want to go that route have someone do it that has experience in wet sanding. They should have a depth gauge so they won't sand through the clear coat into the color. Can you post a picture of the "dusty" look of your paint? I guess I can't picture that in my mind--sorry
Jay

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What pull ya said about a depth gage and someone who knows what he's doing to vhexk the whoke body before hand, write those numbers down then can work one section at a time. Both of those paints can look absolutely stunning in any light, ive done both of them brilliant black pearl many times and delmonico once, they look awesome afterwards

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you put wax on top of a scratched up **** you're going to end up with a waxed scratched up ****. Correction is #1 in importance.
Jay

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Meguiar's 105 and 205 or 210. I would start with the least aggressive in a small area and see if you achieve the results you are after. I would also suggest claying your surface 1st. Thousands of You Tube videos available to walk you through the entire process. I have a Porter Cable 7424XP HD that I have been satisfied with without spending a small fortune on a machine. It won't take much to improve your orange peel so don't get too aggressive. Warrren Truck and SHAP have different paint layering systems which will require some experimentation on the pad and compound. If you have a tu-tone you might see the difference you mentioned in your original post on the vertical side surfaces.