Pentastar vs Hemi, which should you choose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Victory Pete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My first full size pickup is my 2021 Ram 1500 Classic. I bought it for towing my new John Deere 2032R. I love it. I ordered it in September of 2021, and it came in 2 months later. It has the Hemi, I got the Off Road package that gave me the 3.92 ratio with a Limited Slip Diff. Other goodies came with the OFF Road package. I took out the back seat and put in a plywood floor sealed with Flex Seal. Being a van guy, that really was a great modification. I only have 1800 miles on it and have only towed once. Come spring I will be using it so much more. This is all new to me now.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
The 3 way valve is what provides the heater function to my knowledge. It diverts hot coolant to the trans coolant to-oil heat exchanger on the side of the transmission. Without it, only the cooling function will work when the trans reaches operating temperature on its own.
I hear you, but the fluid heater module is still on the 8spd, with coolant lines running to and from it, regardless if you have a 3-way electronic diverter valve or not.

I've owned both, my 2017 pentastar powered Ram 1500 that had the 3-way and my current 2019 classic hemi that does not have the 3-way. I'm happy to be without it because it's one less thing to wrong. LOL

Both seem to behave the same in the cold of winter in terms of cabin temp or ATF temp. I can drive my 40 miles to work in the winter and the trans temp barely gets to 170F. Either will get to ~185F in the summer.

Keeping on topic with this thread, now that I've owned both the pentastar and hemi. I really love both. In all honesty, for my typical day to day use where it's just me in the truck driving it as I normally would, if I had earplugs in, they both drive and perform the same. The pentastar has impressive acceleration with the 8spd, as does the hemi.

HickoryC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I bought my ‘21 Classic Tradesmen for one reason only:
Price.
I am oilfield and have had company trucks for over 25 years. Last year they decided we could no longer drive the company trucks home and use them. (They have always been 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4, usually diesel). Since I work a 14/7 schedule, whatever I drive to west Texas will basically sit in the yard for my 2 week hitch while I use the company truck for work.

I wasn’t going to pay for a ridiculously expensive vehicle to sit in the wind, sun and dust for 3 weeks a month.
However, I need a pickup, because that’s what I drive, and they are handy. I do tow a car trailer with my ‘47 Merc on it about once or twice a year.

I am also a cash buyer, again, I refuse to pay out for something that sits that long. So , although I bleed Ford blue, Ford was out. They have become much too proud of their trucks. I’d rather take a beating than drive a GM product. I have many friends with Ram trucks, and they love them, so I drove one, and I liked it.

So, I found a dealer in OKC advertising ‘21 Tradesmen with the chrome bumpers and carpeting for $28,085. Brand new. I would have gotten the base model for that money without hesitation, but the carpet and chrome is a nice upgrade!

It has the 3.6, the 3.21, tilt, cruise PW and AC. Not much else. And it’s paid for. Everything I need in a truck, nothing I don’t.
That’s a darn fine price for a brand new, full size pickup!

Now I have obviously driven all the big three heavy duty trucks extensively, I don’t need anything like that for personal use, and they aren’t as smooth and comfortable as a half ton, so a half ton it is.

I have had vintage pickups with inline 6, Flathead V8’s, 60’s with big blocks, and I even had a ‘74 Ford with a dual quad, built 428 ( 7 mpg!), Ford Ecoboost, and the cruddy ford modular motors, all daily drivers at different points in my life, so I know what I wanted and needed in a pickup. I have had experience with many different drivetrains, from woefully under powered to so much power it was ridiculous.
I don’t feel the need to brag about having a V8, or defend having a V6, I was going solely on price. Everyone has different needs and expectations for a vehicle, that’s why there are such a vast variety of options.

All that being said, I really like the Ram. I find the 6 cylinder quiet, smooth, an frankly quick enough for anything I’m doing. I have no issues getting to speed on a highway on ramp, or passing for that matter. I usually drive 80-85 on the highway, and average 19-21 mpg. Fuel mileage wasn’t even a consideration, however. I would have taken a V8 if it was offered for the same money. I don’t find it lacking in power for my needs, I don’t notice the shifting of the trans, and I like quiet. It tows the car trailer just fine as well. Does the smaller engine work harder than a larger one in the same vehicle? Of course. That’s the laws of physics.

In conclusion, I got a nice pickup at a screaming good price, it does what I need it to, it’s comfortable and quiet. I Enjoy driving it and wouldn’t hesitate to get another if I had to replace it.
My F250 bought used in 2012 stopped being reliable in 2019 just when a dealer in New Orleans listed a brand new Classic for $21,900 (with a $34,145 window sticker). My son was moving to Sedona AZ so I rented a dolly and we had a great trip, diverting onto Route 66 at times. A year later we hooked up our travel trailer and towed it for two weeks, sometimes at 7,000 feet above sea level. Last year the son is ready to move back to New Orleans so we drove out towing a cargo trailer. We loaded it and the p/u bed with his stuff and again we had no issues. I did install Airlift 100 bags inside the rear coils when we got back home from that trip.
There is no easier to change oil filter. Right on top similar to the F250 diesel.
Interstate speed limits around here are 70 so average speed of traffic is 78. When I leave the acceleration lane I am at 83, so I find that I have plenty of power.
The truck has never been back to the dealer and it has been flawless. I see no need for a more powerful engine.
If I have one complaint it is the lack of adjustable lumbar support. It is the most near-perfect truck for me.

Attachments

• At Sedona 4.jpg
    At Sedona 4.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 11

steveTS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500
Engine
cummins Diesel
When I was in the market for a 4th Gen Ram 1500 Classic, I was pretty torn about whether to go with the Pentastar V6, or the Hemi.

It can be difficult to make the right decision with just a short test drive from the dealer. Now that I’ve owned both, I wanted to give a detailed account of the differences, and things to watch out for. Yes, the topic has been beat to death but I think there’s quite a bit of generalization and points not mentioned.

Bear in mind, this perspective comes from someone who could easily do without a truck, I don’t tow, don’t need to haul, but the idea of driving a pickup truck was in the back of my mind for many years. I had owned mostly sporty cars, some of my favourites being a fox body Mustang 5.0 LX trunk with a manual, a c4 Corvette, an e90 328i, e92 335i, and an f30 335i. The biggest reason I looked at RAMs was because of the ZF 8 speed. It was awesome in the f30. I’ve never felt an auto transmission work so well before.

The very first truck I ever owned ended up being a 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Crew Cab 4x4 with a 3.55 gear and 20” wheels. I put on 67,000km on it, or 41,631miles. I loved this truck! Fantastic on gas, quiet, smooth, cavernous space inside, great visibility on the road. Finally I could stop paying for premium gas, and run plain old regular.

It’s funny how once you own a truck, a million reasons come up for owning one. It just made life so much easier. Carrying house materials, dirt bikes, bicycles, Christmas trees, snow blowers, dishwashers, firewood, furniture, all sorts of stuff I could have never done with a car.

Ok, the good about the V6 RAM.

It’s fantastic on gas for how big and heavy this truck is.
The 3.55 gear ratio allows it to get out of its own way.
The Pentastar is very quiet and very smooth.
It’s easy to change the oil, and doesn’t require any special oil type.
This drivetrain is very car like. It shifts smooth, the engine is quiet, idles super smooth, very low NVH. I can’t say enough good things about this engine.
If you rev it out, it’s surprisingly powerful.
The transmission is quick to downshift giving your the revs you need to accelerate.

The bad about the V6 RAM.

It’s very low on torque for a truck this heavy, especially below 3000rpm. If you want power, you need to rev it and put your foot in it.
I test drove it with the 3.21 gear, and I honestly wouldn’t recommend it. The 3.55 should be the longest gear RAM offers, and leave the 3.21 option for the Hemi.
Even with the 3.55 gear, the motor cannot hold 8th gear on even the slightest of inclines on the highway. It downshifts a lot, simply because the motor lacks torque at lower RPM’s.
When you rev it beyond 3500rpm, it doesn’t sound great. It sounds like you’re pushing it hard, and it’s not particularly enjoyable.

I now own the exact same truck except it’s a 2021 classic, with a Hemi and 3.21gear and ZF 8speed. I’ve only put about 3,000km on it, but I’ve got a pretty good feel on most aspects of this setup.

The good about a Hemi powered RAM.

Wow, the difference in power is nothing short of shocking, even though I went down to a 3.21 gear. If you look at a HP/torque dyno chart of a stock 5.7 Hemi, you’ll see this motor makes far more torque at even 1200rpm than the Pentastar can make at any RPM!
The grunt this burly V8 provides makes it feel like a different truck, and you end up driving it different. For example, on ramps to the highway are now fun. Getting up to speed and well beyond are no issue. Is your lane ending? In a V6 you need to brake and go behind whoever is next to you. In the Hemi, you can be a hooligan, step on it and blow the doors off the guy next to you.
This motor does everything effortlessly, while the V6 works hard in this truck.
You can go about your day taking it easy, and the engine will never go over 2000rpm. And it takes a lot more than a small incline to get this motor to require a downshift. It rarely needs to downshift, and the transmission generally shifts much less often.
Even if you tow or haul nothing, you will definitely use the power this engine offers just in regular driving situations. The fact that it tows more is just a bonus.
It gets surprisingly good highway mileage.
It has very good engine braking.
This engine sounds great, is happy to rev if you want it to, and it never sounds strained. It’s a testament how good the old school pushrod V8 design is. It still competes with much more modern engines.

The bad about the Hemi powered RAM.

It’s definitely thirstier, by about 10% from what I can tell. It’s particularly worse in the city, and just idling it a red light seems to consume more fuel than the v6.
Because the engine is a lot heavier, you feel it in the truck. The truck is less nimble, especially noticeable on more spirited right hand turns.
I understand oil changes are not easy or as clean as the V6. Not looking forward to that.
MDS…. While it saves gas and that’s great, you definitely feel it when it’s active. It’s vibrates a fair amount and the V6 is much smoother when cruising for this reason. I don’t dislike it enough to disable it since I enjoy the fuel savings, but I’m surprised the price you pay in NVH.

Other differences I noticed.

The V6 exhaust has a drone when it’s below 0c outside.
The V8 dual exhaust is louder than the V6, but not annoyingly so. If you want the quietest truck overall, the V6 is your choice.
The V8 is slower to get into gear when you put it in D. It’s slower than I’d like.
The V6 doesn’t have much engine braking. You’d think the lighter truck would be easier on the brakes, but it’s definitely the opposite, the V8 is easier on the brakes.
When MDS deactivates on the Hemi, the torque converter briefly unlocks to smooth out the transition to 8 cylinders. This is noticeable, and another reason why I don’t like MDS too much. It makes for a busier drivetrain.
The V6 engine takes longer to warm up than the V8. However, the V6 has a transmission warmer as well as a cooler, and in cold Canadian climates, the trans warmer is welcome. The V8 only has a trans cooler, and takes about 4 times as long to warm up. The V6 trans can be at full operating temperature in 15mins, and the V8 can take upwards of an hour in cold climates. That can’t be good for fuel economy, and the Hemi can use all the help it can get.
The V6 cabin heater is just adequate, the V8 will melt the skin off your face. Crazy hot.
No idea if the V6 vs V8 air conditioning is any different, perhaps someone can chime in on that.
The V6 makes the truck feel more “car like”, the V8 feels more like you’re driving a truck, whatever that means to you.
The V8 front end dives more on braking, probably due to the extra weight up front.

My overall opinion

While I don’t need to tow or haul, I still prefer the Hemi. The extra fuel consumption is worth it. To put the 10% difference in fuel costs into perspective: I spent about $3k in gas last year with the V6, and with the Hemi I’ll spend $3300, all things being equal. The V6 burns 90% of the gas the Hemi does. But it only gives you 77% of the horsepower, and only 66% of the torque. This shows just how efficient the Hemi really is. Now I realize peak output is rarely used, but it’s the extra power everywhere across the RPM range that really changes the the driving experience.

In all fairness, if you own a V6 with a 3.55 gear, I do believe it’s also a fantastic choice, albeit less fun and capable in most ways than the V8.

If you have a V6 with the 3.21, well…. You’re a better man than I.
I had a 2021 1500 w Hemi and I towed a trailer 12,000 miles from Florida to NW coast and back and I had zero problems with hills or milage. the trailer was 21 ft and weighed 7500 lbs and that tranny and engine never burped once. I took it all the way up into Glacier National and it lol at those mountains! When we got home we traded for a 2500 diesel and upgraded trailer to a 32 ft 5th wheel. This truck is a beast and so far the city milage is 17ish. Will do a shake down on hwy with trailer and post a review. RAM makes a kick ass truck!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For me, I wish I could have found a V6 with the options I wanted for a price I wanted to pay. The one thing I hate about my Ram, is the MPG. I average about 15.5 hand calculated. But then I also have the old(er) 5.7 with the 5spd trans and 3.55 gears. On the highway I've managed 22.5 once at 65mph on a flat section of I-95. I can usually get around 20 on my trips from SC to FL and back which is pretty good for a big truck.

I've said it before - for all I've used my Ram as a truck, I could have done the same thing with a Ridgeline. I haven't towed much, and the hauling I've done could have been with something smaller. So for my uses, the V6 would probably work better.

The couple of times I've looked at newer trucks, the salesmen try to argue me out of a V6 saying that if I'm used to the Hemi, I won't be happy with the V6. At that point I usually walk off. They're entitled to their opinion, but I know what I'm looking for for my usage. In the end, I still haven't found anything with the options I want at a price I feel like paying.

Besides, they're hard to find in yellow.
I know a few folks with redlines. The get worse mpg than your hemi.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I 've had 4 RAM 1500. A 2013 5.7 321 gear ratio a 13 3.6 with 355gear ratio,14 with 3.6 and 321 gear ratio, and now a 2017 RAM 5.7 with 392 gear ratio. The 3.6 engine lacks torque in a major way. Going on I--44 to Springfield from Lake of the Ozarks I had to more the gear selector to 5th gear to get up the hills in order to keep up with Bug Diesel trucks. The 3.6 is great as long as you stay on pretty much level ground. The MPG was about 17 to 22 MPG. MY 17 RAM, 5.7 with the 392 gears in the cold at 10 degreed F is about 16mpg, but normally using 87 octane its 18 to 20 mpg. I never notice when the 5.7 drops to 4cyc mode, it's always smooth. The power and torque is very good in the 5.7, its a genuine solid powerful engine. The RAM1500 with the 3.6 even with the 355 gear ratio is nothing but a light duty truck. IMO the 5.7 will last much longer than the 3.6, because its not being beat to produce all it's got all the time.

What's odd to me is the 3.6 is what's being used as the base engine in the new Grand Cherokee, and Wagoneer. The 5.7 is a more heavy duty engine where the 3.6 is barely adiquate.

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The only reason I would buy the v6 is for the easy oil changes. Other than that I pick the hemi all day. Just hate changing its oil because it’s a messy business to that oil filter off and out.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only reason I would buy the v6 is for the easy oil changes. Other than that I pick the hemi all day. Just hate changing its oil because it’s a messy business to that oil filter off and out.
Nothing like a lil 5W20 to assist your shampoo in working, LOL... :Big Laugh:

flinkpoyd01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've owned a 2014 v6 AWD Limited Durango for the last 4 years. When I was test driving and deciding between the v8 and v6, I liked the power of the hemi but I really forced myself to think through my primary uses of the vehicle, which were mostly commute, camping, driving into the mountains a few times per week, kid duties as I have two young kids, etc. and I felt the most responsible decision was to go with the v6. Previous experiences told me that there would be days I wished I would have gone with the v8 but 99% of the time, the v6 would be more than adequate.

60k miles later, I was right- MOST of the time, the v6 has been adequate, but in retrospect, I wish I would have gotten the v8. After buying the Durango, I ended up buying a pop up trailer, a utility trailer for yard chores, we ended up dragging the camper all over the west, and although the v6 is adequate, knowing the v8 was an option means I made the wrong choice. Not a terrible choice as I've saved money by having the v6, but there have been enough times of saying "I wish I would have gotten the v8" out loud that I would have done it differently if I had another shot at it.

And in 2021 I took another shot at it and added a 2014 Ram 1500 to the garage and the v8 was the only option for me. Plus, the v8 exhaust note is sweet and with 3.92 gears, it moves liked a ***** ape. :)

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
An oil change takes 20 minutes. If it bugged me I would do a filter relocate long before I put up with a weezing Pentstar for the 12,000 minutes I drive it between oil changes.

Nick14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought my 3.6 for my own protection. I have owned over 20 vehicles so far. I have modified 50% of the 4 bangers, 100% of the 8's and none of the 6's. I don't have the ability to leave an 8 alone. I still have my license, good driver discount, & burn 87. Nick

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Nice write-up. I have the standard cab V6. It's a work and personal truck with the 3:21, and I absolutely love it. Of course I'm much older than you are, and long since gotten past caring about having a V8 or Hemi badge on the side of my truck. I don't tow with it, but it gets up and goes, and gets great mileage. Plus that it would shift down to the 7 or 6 gear on an incline is not a surprise. It's an 8 speed transmission. In fact it's the perfect marriage to the Pentastar.

But have fun changing those 16 spark plugs, and doing oil changes on your Hemi. You can walk out each morning to see that Hemi badge on the side, and really feel like a man.

Roadwarrior1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
HEMI all day long.....
I have a '17 crew hemi Big Horn, 3.21 (some basic mods: Magnafllow exhaust, K&N CAI, Pedal commander, Redline 5W20) with 195k miles. Knock on wood, have never had any major problems, very well maintained and changed all the fluids to Amsoil except the engine oil - (Like the Redline better....).
I get 20 - 22 highway mpg's on my work trips. My buddies truck has the 3.6 and he drives typically 75 - 85 mph on the highway and only gets 18 -19. Your RPM's are typically 2500+ with the 3.6 vs. the Hemi at around 1500'sh.
Unless you baby it you will find yourself consistently holding the 3.6 pedal down to get some response.
My $0.02...

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's yet another part of the equation - I tend to drive my truck fairly conservatively just to keep the gas consumption down. It drops pretty quickly when driving it hard.

Yes, the 3.6 has to rev to get it going, but so did my previous '09 with the 4.7 and I get better mpg out of the Hemi than that one.

Yes, that's one of the things I noticed early on - the Ridgeline got worse mileage. Maybe the AWD was too much for it along with the extra weight? I see that the latest generation does better.

As far as the bed goes - that down to usage. For all I've put in the bed of the truck, something half the size would have worked, and the locking "trunk" in a couple of them would be useful. Yes, a tool box in the bed would work too, but it takes up space in the bed. The new Santa Cruz and Maverick look nice and with the turbo 4 seem to do pretty well mpg wise. If they sell well enough, there'll be more coming along.

One thing I don't like about the new "trucksters" is ride height. I've gotten to where I prefer riding higher while in traffic. When driving the wife's car, it's fun and handles well, but I can't see anything in traffic.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
" just idling it a red light seems to consume more fuel " That's why I got the eTorque. But love that it also shifts smoother.

My V8 Hemi warms up quicker than any V8 I've driven before. But, then again I don't live in Canada :)

MikeinSonoma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 etorque
Bought the 5.7 in a Grande Cherokee Summit after test driving both. My buddy bought the exact same model but with the 6 because he wanted better mileage.The Hemi has WAY better highway power, is smooth and quieter. Final bonus, in 14,000 miles my overall average is 2 MPG better than his and on Highway or city use I get better gas mileage than him. (All hand calculated) I know it is a sample of 1 but even if the Hemi average 2 mpg less, I would consider it a more than fair trade off. When I bought the new pickup, 6.4 Hemi all the way.
I’m not surprised about the mileage I have a 2021 Rebel eTorch V6, 3.92 i’m averaging 15.8 miles per gallon, of course the estimated is 19/21/24, that sales pushed, the service department says it’s nonsense and I should ignore it. Funny how that works. I am perfectly happy with the engine otherwise, but when I hear people getting better gas mileage in the hemi… I don’t think well of Rams quality control, i’m guessing that’s the problem, considering I’ve heard others with the V6 getting a range of mileage.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
" just idling it a red light seems to consume more fuel " That's why I got the eTorque. But love that it also shifts smoother.

My V8 Hemi warms up quicker than any V8 I've driven before. But, then again I don't live in Canada :)
I have to say my new 2500 with the 6.4 and active shutters is really great at getting warm fast and staying warm even at 65 mph on the highway in -40 weather. No more need to put carpet between the grill and the rad, and grill inserts to block off the cold air. A lot of guys on here complain about the shutters and the transmission heater but I love them both.

ChaosMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just picked up mine today and took off with a bit of throttle, my wife goes, "Ohhh I like the sound of THAT, I'll be doing that a LOT!" So guess in my case it will be, fuel economy be damned and on that merit a vote for the Hemi it would seem. :rofl:

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
OH BOY, eye sight getting bad. Thought the title was "Pornstar vs Hemi"... for a minute I was at the wrong site...