Performance vs mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seawri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 hemi
Im looking for some upgrades to my 17' ram 1500 that would improve performance and mpg. I hear a lot about pedal commanders on here but would that ruin my mpg?

boomstick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
pedal commander has no gain in any way. a tune and free flowing exhaust will get you power and mpg.

from my note 8

OP
OP
Seawri

Seawri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 v8 hemi
Any suggestions on exhaust? I was leaning toward that to begin with.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We are running an exhaust sale on Corsa, Magnaflow, MBRP, and Borla. We are also still running our great discount on Carven! Carven is a great option for a muffler replacement kit and with optional 5" tips.

You can order directly off our site here and make sure to use CARVEN10 for your discount!

If you want a full catback message me and I will set you up with a discount on any system you would like.

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Get a tuner, I run Superchips and did the 87 setting and just made the Shiftpoints a little higher if I were to punch it and response stiffer (The Jolt when you punch it), which I rarely do.

MagnaFlows are very sexy sounding and don't sound overly ******** as you cant have a conversation in your truck. If I were to get exhaust again would be the MagnaFlows for sure.

SuperChips:
Typical settings

93+
Towing

Diagnostics, (I use a Bluetooth one and just turn my phones Bluetooth on if I need to see anything)
Tire Size Change etc etc, pretty good.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The comment about the Pedal Commander is not exactly correct. You DO gain more instantaneous acceleration. The Pedal Commander removes any "lag" you might have in your acceleration. It DOES NOT increase your hp or tq. It has 30+ settings you can use and the settings can be changed on the fly. You can read the reviews about the Pedal Commander, there are a couple different threads about it in the Engine and Performance section.
Jay

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pedal commander has no gain in any way. a tune and free flowing exhaust will get you power and mpg.

from my note 8

Must be a placebo effect or something. Maybe all the people who have them get brain washed when they touch it so they just think they have better throttle response. :025:

I can say with 100% certainty it will negatively affect ur mpg, but will make the truck more pleasant to drive, adds to the fun factor lol

Last edited:

boomstick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes you get better responce with the pc but you dont get any mpg gain or power from it. a tuner will get you the same thing and more power and or mpg which is what the original question was. when i had a 5.7 headers no cats ,a 18" magnaflow and a greene 93 tune gave me 3mpg around town and 4 on the hwy and alot more power. yall turned this thread into something its not. the op asked what would get better power and mpg and thought the pc might do that and it dont.

from my note 8

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can attest to that. I've spent the last few months testing in everything from Sport to Eco mode - no difference in MPG. I can see where Eco might be useful in slick/low traction situations, but it didn't help mileage at all. In the end, not a great mod for me.

maybe a set of shortys and a good y-pipe....

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a tuner, I run Superchips and did the 87 setting and just made the Shiftpoints a little higher if I were to punch it and response stiffer (The Jolt when you punch it), which I rarely do.

MagnaFlows are very sexy sounding and don't sound overly ******** as you cant have a conversation in your truck. If I were to get exhaust again would be the MagnaFlows for sure.

SuperChips:
Typical settings

93+
Towing

Diagnostics, (I use a Bluetooth one and just turn my phones Bluetooth on if I need to see anything)
Tire Size Change etc etc, pretty good.

Which Bluetooth obdii adapter are you using? Which type of phone and which app? Do you like it?

Looking to do the same thing since it is kind of a pain to hook up my DS i2 to view the pids.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Well, in my experience with 6.4L the MPG may have dropped 1 or so in the city, but highway seemed virtually unaffected. I do drive the truck very conservatively on the highway but don’t really give 2 craps about MPG in the city. Sport +2

I think the PC is good for someone who doesn’t want to spend big bucks and really mod the truck or risk dealer issues but still pull the lag out of it. Mine even seemed to help smarten up the transmission. I swear it shifts smoother, faster and will hold gears more intelligently since I installed the PC. On the newer trucks you have to pay a good chunk of change just for an unlocked PCM. Not to mention price for tuner and custom tune. But yeah, you won’t see MPG increases with the PC, because it’s not doing a thing to fuel or air intake. Just adjusting throttle voltage. Perceptively though, it sure feels like you gained a whole lot of torque. And the truck does actually start to accelerate faster. Basically just actually utilizing the Hemi’s power that is already there.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

from my note 8
^^^ sort of. Pedal commander takes the lag out of your throttle response, but does not improve HP, Torque or MPG. That doesn't mean it wont improve your driving experience by reducing the delay inherent in the FCA fly-by-wire throttle system's response.

For performance you need headers and tune for biggest bang for your modification buck.

Truth be told, you're not going to see a whole lot of MPG improvement since you drive a vehicle with the aerodynamic properties of a cinder block. A tune can adjust shift points and that might help a little, but you're still pushing a brick through the air.

Last edited:

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Which Bluetooth obdii adapter are you using? Which type of phone and which app? Do you like it?

Looking to do the same thing since it is kind of a pain to hook up my DS i2 to view the pids.

S8 Samsung

Adapter:

Wsiiroon Bluetooth 3.0
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-3-0-Dedicated-Diagnostic-Professional/dp/B076H43CQW

App:

Torque

Thoughts:

Love it, gives the code and what the possible problem is and lets you search on the app for a possible solution.

You dont need the 99 dollar one, I did about 5-10 hours of research and settled on the Wsiiroon

If you are Iphone the apps you can use are I guess
https://scanneranswers.com/best-obd2-app-software-android-iphone-windows/

OBD Fusion
OBD Car Doctor

AS for Adapter

Does both Droid and IOS
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XKQQQ...17&pd_rd_r=80SCJSA9MQESD0R0Q5NX&pd_rd_w=j51qG

Last edited:

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Ive had exhaust, and with the MDS in 4 valve on highway hated sound. So put stock back on. Best fun was Peddle Commander. One thing I may try is the new Edge tuner...about to be released yet not hamper with warranty. Too early to tell.

boomstick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
all the pedal commander does is trick the computer into thinking your giving the truck more throttle than you actually are that is all it does period. you can do the same exact thing with your foot for free plain and simple. back to the original question AGAIN power and mpg gain will only com from a tune and letting the truck breath better . all vehicles are more efficient when timing is high running higher octane fuel and are able to get air in and out. tricking the throttle body will never do this ever. the pc does what they say it does i dont deny that but your foot does what you tell it to do oh and again a tuner can turn the response time up too

from my note 8

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Either way I love the pedal commander. Regardless of it does not add power, it makes the truck more fun to drive. Plain and simple. Which is the purpose of many performance mods

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Must be a placebo effect or something. Maybe all the people who have them get brain washed when they touch it so they just think they have better throttle response. :025:

I can say with 100% certainty it will negatively affect ur mpg, but will make the truck more pleasant to drive, adds to the fun factor lol
I can categorically say the Pedal Commander RUINED my MPG. I cannot keep my foot off da gas!! :driver:

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
you can do the same exact thing with your foot for free plain and simple.

from my note 8

This isn't true. Do you own a PC? No way in hell you are getting the same effect by moving your foot around like a maniac. Even if it were possible, it would be ********.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
This isn't true. Do you own a PC? No way in hell you are getting the same effect by moving your foot around like a maniac. Even if it were possible, it would be ********.

No matter what RPM/speed/driving situation you are in when you have a PC the throttle and forward acceleration is going to respond faster than if you just mashed the gas pedal as fast as you can. Last time I took the truck to the dealer I turned off the PC, the truck felt like it had a 1500 pound cinder block in the bed. No matter how hard you hit the pedal you have to wait for it. There’s no waiting with the PC. So now when coming up on a hill I can just ease lightly onto the throttle and the truck instantly starts working. I don’t have to mash it down, and then wait. Huge benefit in a 7500 pound HD.

Say I wanted to get moving at a moderate speed, I can now just give it a little gas instead of having to mash it hard and fast to ½ or ¾ pedal, and then still wait for the computer to tell the engine to respond and then have the truck jerk forward, when to achieve the same result the PC will just allow me to do it with ease and no drama. Who would want to drive around constantly mashing the gas to try and trick themselves and the computer into getting the truck to be faster? Makes no sense.