Permatex Threadlocker Red Gel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goldenzrule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to be replacing shocks for the first time and wanted to hear people's thoughts on this product. Want to ensure the bolts to back out due to vibration and attempt to fight off future rust on the bokts, which are currently pretty rusted on. I read this can make it incredibly difficult to remove the bolts in the future so unsure if it's the right product to use or not.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Gary2 has some good ideas to prevent corrosion, hopefully he will reply

Each time I install or change the setting on the front with Bilstein I always take Synthetic Disc Brake Lubricant and coat the lock nut ( after tightening) and all of the threads on the top of the shaft before I reinstall it . Around here the brine they use on the roads will rust the shaft an threads it seems like in minutes. My 07 we could not get the nut off at 6 months old. at well over a year I can remove the nut on my 14 like I put it on yesterday . Anti-seize will eventually dry out and wont do the job that the brake lube does. I use it any place you would use anti seize. Learned that from the Jeeps where we are always changing things .

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have never had shock bolts loosen off on me. If you are trying to prevent rust and want to make them easier to remove the next time you would be better off with anti-seize. If you are stuck on using thread lock I would use the blue instead. You will be able to remove it without having to heat it up.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you tighten the bolts correctly they should never work loose. Coat them with some anti seize if anything.

OP
OP
G

Goldenzrule

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys . I changed the rear shocks today and torqued them down to factory spec without any thread lock or anti seize. Doing the fronts tomorrow or Friday. I decided to forgo anything because if I prevent rust on the bolts, they won't match the rest of the truck

Reactions: JB1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat