Pin or magnet switch location suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fischgeek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know there are a lot of "bed light" search results on this forum (I've read quite a few of them). But one thing I couldn't decipher was those that wired up their lights to a pin switch or a magnet switch on the tailgate, where did you find clearance for the magnets or where does the pin switch make contact at?

For my truck, when the tailgate is closed there is all sorts of room in the corner void. The tailgate lines up the with the bed perfectly, but it looks like there is too much room for a pin switch (like the switch wouldn't be long enough to hit) and it doesn't look like a magnet switch can have one side be rotated 90deg.

Curious as to what others have done and/or what others might suggest I do.

Thanks!

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know there are a lot of "bed light" search results on this forum (I've read quite a few of them). But one thing I couldn't decipher was those that wired up their lights to a pin switch or a magnet switch on the tailgate, where did you find clearance for the magnets or where does the pin switch make contact at?

For my truck, when the tailgate is closed there is all sorts of room in the corner void. The tailgate lines up the with the bed perfectly, but it looks like there is too much room for a pin switch (like the switch wouldn't be long enough to hit) and it doesn't look like a magnet switch can have one side be rotated 90deg.

Curious as to what others have done and/or what others might suggest I do.

Thanks!
Pin switch can go on the side of the bed and as the tailgate is closed it will it it. Same for magnets there is a ton of clearance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fischgeek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pin switch can go on the side of the bed and as the tailgate is closed it will it it.
I don't know, I don't know. There's a lot of room there and it doesn't seem like there's enough overhang on the tailgate to catch any sort of pin. I ordered it, so I guess we'll see. Thanks!

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use a magnetic reed switch with the custom bed lights I installed four years ago.
Make sure you use good trim tape or servo tape. Clean the area you want to mount the reed switch and the magnet at with rubbing alcohol.
It also helps to use a heat gun on low setting to warm the metal up to help the trim tape or servo tape stick better.
The big bonus is no holes to drill in your truck

OP
OP
F

fischgeek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I went with the magnet switch because I couldn't find a good place for the pin switch. I did have to drill a small pin-hole for one of the grounds to go through and connect to the light's wiring and grounded off the other side to the torx screw for the taillight. I'm pretty satisfied with this. Now, the only thing I need to figure out is what I broke; my backup camera no longer works :s

IMG_3084.JPG IMG_3086.JPG IMG_3087.JPG

2012Lamarie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, I went with the magnet switch because I couldn't find a good place for the pin switch. I did have to drill a small pin-hole for one of the grounds to go through and connect to the light's wiring and grounded off the other side to the torx screw for the taillight. I'm pretty satisfied with this. Now, the only thing I need to figure out is what I broke; my backup camera no longer works :s

View attachment 193260 View attachment 193262 View attachment 193263
Hmmm. Did you unplug anything? Where did you tie into the 12v hot? I used my 7pin hot wire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
F

fischgeek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where did you tie into the 12v hot?
I used the hot from the trailer harness. I can't imagine I disrupted the camera by doing that. I don't know where that camera wire actually is. I've inspected the fuses and they look good. The lights are working as expected and the camera fuse is intact. I'll crawl back under there tomorrow and take a look-see. Any ideas where the camera wire(s) are at under there?

Addendum: After reading this post (https://www.ramforumz.com/threads/backup-camera-unavailable.255817/), I couldn't wait. I ran out and got under there and sure enough there was a different harness that was loose (not sure how it got loose but whatever). I snapped it into place and all is well. I'm a happy camper with a working backup camera and a nifty bed light system. :)

Thanks!

Last edited: