Wheelchair bound and have problem with wheelchair lift in trailer 7 pin wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Army DV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello all,
I have recently become wheelchair bound. Rt leg useless, left leg 50% usable.

My truck is a 2019 Longhorn. I believe it is the same as the Big Horn but with different trim, I could be wrong.

I managed to get a powered wheelchair similar to a hover round.

There is a lift (basically a linear actuator) that mounts into the receiver. You plug into the 7 pin outlet and it lifts the chair off the ground so you can drive.

MI park the wheelchair in the lift position and push a button and a triangle piece comes up and attaches to the wheelchair and lifts it up. Pretty cool setup.

My problem is that I lifted the chair and it locked in place, however when I got to the VA for an appointment I had, no power and cannot get the chair off the lift.

I cannot figure out where the fuse is located that provides full time power to the 7 pin outlet. I looked in the owners manual and it is not clear to me (I'm on a lot of pain meds so I blame them on my stupidity). I have watched videos and don't have the same looking fuse block.

The fuses are different than others and I can't see how to check them without pulling them to put a meter on them.

Getting up and down to look into engine bay, under dash at fuse block and rear hitch to see if I have power is kicking my backside.

Can anyone shed light on where the proper fuse is so I can see if it is a fuse or larger problem?

Thanks in advance for anything that helps me figure this out.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Can anyone shed light on where the proper fuse is so I can see if it is a fuse or larger problem?
Just to verify, is your truck a Classic version which is DS body truck or is it a DT body? Easy way to tell the difference is a DS body has 5 lug wheels and a DT body has 6 lug wheels.

If your truck is a DS body, this fuse list is for the 7 pin plug:
F53 ATR 20 amp Left Trailer lights
F81 ATR 20 amp Right Trailer lights
F29 FMM 20 amp Trailer Park lights
F28 FMM 20 amp Trailer Back up lights
F30 FMM 30 amp Direct from battery
F11 J Case 30 amp Brake Lever

OP
OP
Army DV

Army DV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It has the 6 lug wheels so a DT body.

So your list only applies to the DS body?

Are these some kind of breaker or something new? I can't test for blown fuse as there are no points on top for meter leads. If they are a breaker of some type can they be reset?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
From what I can tell on Classics it should be fuse #30 and is a 30 amp fuse. You can test them with a meter. Or temporarily swap it with another 30 amp to see if it works.

Screenshot_20230817_200051_Chrome.jpg

On the 5th gen new body, the interior fuse panel Fuse#1 is a 30amp should be the Trailer plug 12v. See circled fuse below.

Screenshot_20230817_201030_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Army DV

Army DV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great, so fuse 30 on the interior fuse block (under dash). Ill have to check it tomorrow. My wife just got home and told me to quit for the day, I think she is right.

I'll swap that fuse with one I have in a box. Last year I went to a junk yard and pulled all the fuses and relays out of about 10 cars and trucks. Divided them by size, type and amp. I'll see if I can get it going. Currently every pin in the plug on the truck is dead. I'll try to find a pin-out photo so I can test it after replacing the fuse.

I'm sure you have provided the correct answer and I thank you for it. It will save me a lot of thinking with my head in a barrel. Can't wait until I can get off these pain meds, they suck. I am surprised people take them on purpose when they don't need them. They sure don't make me feel good.

I'll provide feedback tomorrow

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
If you got the new body style it is the interior fuse #1 on the second pic I posted above.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
So your list only applies to the DS body?
Unfortunately the wiring was changed with the newer DT body style. When you have questions about your truck, you'll want to post in the Gen5 section
(I'll move this post there).

OP
OP
Army DV

Army DV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great on the move to the right location, thanks.

I should be able to swap that easily. Is that a regular fuse just a new design?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Does the Ram DT models have TWO fuse panels ?

behind the Knee panel ... Internal Power Distribution Center

By the Battery ... External Power Distribution Center

confusing

The Power Distribution Center is located under the driver’s side instrument panel. This center contains cartridge fuses, micro fuses, relays, and circuit breakers.

Fuse Box Location​

The Power Distribution Center is located in the engine compartment near the battery. This center contains cartridge fuses, micro fuses, relays, and circuit breakers. A description of each fuse and component may be stamped on the inside cover, otherwise the cavity number of each fuse is stamped on the inside cover that corresponds to the following chart.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Army DV

Army DV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the info so far.

I could not get to the fuse to pull it due to inability to get to it physically. I went to the dealer and asked them for a replacement fuse. They dd not have one and one of their people offered to pull and test the fuse. Said the fuse is good so I would have to turn it over to service center for them to figure it out and fix it. They did not have a replacement fuse and would need to keep the truck until the fuse came in, etc....

They could not tell me what that would cost so I declined as I am not under warranty any more.

I managed to take the top off the lift and hand crank the chair down to get it off the truck. I removed the linear actuator also so I can get the truck into the garage. I went to two auto parts stores and they did not have the replacement fuse and neither did the three closest Ram dealers.

So, I need to find a place to order the replacement fuse ($14 each at closest dealer to me) I don't believe the current fuse is not blown. Any suggestions on where I can get them?

I'll have to pull the fuse and trade it for another fuse in the block and see if that works. I'm just afraid that I blow a fuse needed for the truck to run. I'm not past dropping and loosing it either. Unfortunately my son lives 125 miles away and is always swamped at work. Getting him to work on this will be difficult.

My son asked me once why I moved so far away. I told him I want to be far enough that he doesn't visit too often but not so far they have to spend the night. He laughed at me today saying I did not take busted leg and truck problems into consideration when I made that plan.

Anyway, I guess I am stuck using a walker until I can get this figured out. It is very frustrating, can't just put some foil in there until you get the fuse, IF YOU GET THE FUSE.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does the Ram DT models have TWO fuse panels ?

behind the Knee panel ... Internal Power Distribution Center

By the Battery ... External Power Distribution Center

confusing

The Power Distribution Center is located under the driver’s side instrument panel. This center contains cartridge fuses, micro fuses, relays, and circuit breakers.

Fuse Box Location​

The Power Distribution Center is located in the engine compartment near the battery. This center contains cartridge fuses, micro fuses, relays, and circuit breakers. A description of each fuse and component may be stamped on the inside cover, otherwise the cavity number of each fuse is stamped on the inside cover that corresponds to the following chart.
Yes, under dash by steering wheel, U have to pull that panel in the middle, and engine bay.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the info so far.

I could not get to the fuse to pull it due to inability to get to it physically. I went to the dealer and asked them for a replacement fuse. They dd not have one and one of their people offered to pull and test the fuse. Said the fuse is good so I would have to turn it over to service center for them to figure it out and fix it. They did not have a replacement fuse and would need to keep the truck until the fuse came in, etc....

They could not tell me what that would cost so I declined as I am not under warranty any more.

I managed to take the top off the lift and hand crank the chair down to get it off the truck. I removed the linear actuator also so I can get the truck into the garage. I went to two auto parts stores and they did not have the replacement fuse and neither did the three closest Ram dealers.

So, I need to find a place to order the replacement fuse ($14 each at closest dealer to me) I don't believe the current fuse is not blown. Any suggestions on where I can get them?

I'll have to pull the fuse and trade it for another fuse in the block and see if that works. I'm just afraid that I blow a fuse needed for the truck to run. I'm not past dropping and loosing it either. Unfortunately my son lives 125 miles away and is always swamped at work. Getting him to work on this will be difficult.

My son asked me once why I moved so far away. I told him I want to be far enough that he doesn't visit too often but not so far they have to spend the night. He laughed at me today saying I did not take busted leg and truck problems into consideration when I made that plan.

Anyway, I guess I am stuck using a walker until I can get this figured out. It is very frustrating, can't just put some foil in there until you get the fuse, IF YOU GET THE FUSE.
THAT is a 30 amp cartridge fuse. U R in Dallas, there has to be a dealer in the area that has fuses in stock. The part that gets me though U said the whole 7 pin connection is dead. I do not know where/or how the connections are: But there are separate fuses for different items on the 7 pin, like Crash posted ref the classic. The 5th Gen are the same, just may be different fuses: but separate ones power different lights, etc. If all 7 pins are dead/out, I wonder if the connector under the truck from the Wiring Harness to the 7 Pin connector on the rear of the truck has come undone. Because when a lot of people put in like Curt wiring extenders, they un plug from the 7 pin to another adapter and plug in another adapter to the 7 pin receptacle. So I wonder there. Thinking out loud.

OP
OP
Army DV

Army DV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That is a really good possibility that the cable came unplugged. I will check that first thing in he morning. I never thought of that. Thanks for thinking out loud. it makes sense as a possibility.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Someone should do what ever they can to make this a

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wiring on the 5th Gen 2500.
He has a 1500, but should be the same. He said the whole receptacle was dead, so not thinking fuse, major connection. What I do not know if all the power from fuse inlets goes off a major block connection, though I doubt it. Just not versed enough on the electronics, especially on these trucks.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
He has a 1500, but should be the same. He said the whole receptacle was dead, so not thinking fuse, major connection. What I do not know if all the power from fuse inlets goes off a major block connection, though I doubt it. Just not versed enough on the electronics, especially on these trucks.
To be honest, I need to find the fuses for mine in case I lose power to the plug. All I did when I got it home was test all the pins in them to make sure they work.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be honest, I need to find the fuses for mine in case I lose power to the plug. All I did when I got it home was test all the pins in them to make sure they work.
Fuse box under hood. There are separate cartridge fuses (there may be bladed also, I had lost my running lights on my 1500 ref trailer and it was a 20 amp cartridge (blue) fuse that supplied power), that control specific lighting. Like all running lights on 1 fuse. Brake/turn signals on 2 separate fuses: R/L side, etc.,. Reverse lights never checked, as my trailer is a stock, no reverse.

OP
OP
Army DV

Army DV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everyone that has helped so far, I appreciate it. Unfortunately, I still have no power on any pin in the truck side plug.Also none in the 4 pin but not sure if I should on the 4 Pin.

I just called the best guy I know (other than my son) to try to figure this out for me. He is young and smart as well as physically fit unlike myself. He will come in a couple hours.

I crawled under the truck bumper and checked the plug on the back of the receptacle. It feels solid and no loose wiring that I can see.

Can anyone give me any ideas on how he should trace this out? I would like to trace the hot pin at the 1 o'clock position all the way back to the fuse panel but I am sure that can't be done without tearing the wiring harness apart.

I'll get him to pull the top left fuse as it is supposed to be the one I want. I will have him check that at least one leg of that fuse it hot. Haven't done that yet. The problem could be on the feed pin of the fuse plug not being hot. The Anyone have any other ideas of what I can check?n recheck the fuse AGAIN and then start tracing based on those results.