Planning to Buy- My Frst Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So stay away from a truck that has a lift and non factory wheels? That’s is the absolute dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.
I understand folks not liking it, but it's a fact that lifted newer trucks take a hit on resale value. Just a smaller market for them. For an older truck, probably not as much of a big deal, I'd guess.

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m not understanding the “leave the truck stock” mentality. Everyone does something to their vehicle to “personalize” it, make it their own, so it doesn’t look like every other make of the same vehicle. WE all do it, whether you tint the windows, change the rim/tire package, hand an air freshener off the rear view, use an aftermarket air filter or fuel filter, the list goes on. I’m not too sure about the “market” for buying lifted trucks is true, I bought mine lifted, so that theory isn’t holding water.

I get that some guys on here like everything to be factory and that cool. But if that’s the case, get back to your dealer, buy oil from them, fuel filters, buy a set tires and bag them while they sit in your closet till needed.

Don’t get me wrong, I hear what you’re saying, just the same over on Cummins Forum, if your isn’t stock, it’s not right! And that is wrong.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I’m not understanding the “leave the truck stock” mentality. Everyone does something to their vehicle to “personalize” it, make it their own, so it doesn’t look like every other make of the same vehicle. WE all do it, whether you tint the windows, change the rim/tire package, hand an air freshener off the rear view, use an aftermarket air filter or fuel filter, the list goes on. I’m not too sure about the “market” for buying lifted trucks is true, I bought mine lifted, so that theory isn’t holding water.

I get that some guys on here like everything to be factory and that cool. But if that’s the case, get back to your dealer, buy oil from them, fuel filters, buy a set tires and bag them while they sit in your closet till needed.

Don’t get me wrong, I hear what you’re saying, just the same over on Cummins Forum, if your isn’t stock, it’s not right! And that is wrong.
I think it's the impression that folks doing major mods are street racers, and therefore harder on their trucks. And that's probably not far off, given the amount of threads I read on Ram forums about stop light racing. Lifts can be harder on drive components as well. Bug shields and air fresheners don't carry that kind of baggage. The only place you see lifted trucks for sale around here is on those independent lots, not OEM dealers lots.

I get folks wanting to do that stuff. And a select few actually look pretty good. But there is just a smaller market for them used, especially late model ones.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The white truck above has a three inch lift which is about what I would do. I'm not so sure I want big tires tho since I won't be in the mud or sand much and I prefer better gas mileage but They could be sold and replaced. Dodge trucks seem to need leveling.
I'm learning there are a LOT of used trucks on the market and Dodge trucks appear to be priced below Ford, Chev and GMC.

Here's a good looking deal(?)

2020 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4WD - $58,995 7300 mi.
Looks nice! Get a chance to take it for a test drive yet?

phottomatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
It's not about "keeping it stock", I have a jeep, big tires, lift, lights, custom bumpers, custom exhaust but idon't tow with it. If I'm buying a truck for towing I'm not gonna change things that could effect the safety while towing. Go ahead lift it put low profile tires on it with no load rating but tow anything heavy with it and you might regret it and God forbid you hurt some while doing so.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I agree. And those people that use the wrong rim/package that tow, as you said, hopefully the man upstairs is watching out for all of us!

OP
OP
F

FrankM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks nice! Get a chance to take it for a test drive yet?

I have not. I'm doing most of my shopping online and this truck and several around it is a 10 hour drive. I'm learning a lot and will start negotiating in the next week. I plan to buy before end of the month. Saw some deals on other brands too.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
To the OP... I hate buying used from far away. I insist on having a used car inspected by my mechanic during the "test drive". Even a new certified car, still under warranty needs to be inspected for unreported accident and flood damage. I backed out of a beautiful looking used Mustang after my mechanic put it on the lift and found signs of flood damage that was nowhere to be seen on the "Carfaux" report. It was a certified used car with less than 30,000 miles on the odo. There was allot of undercarriage rust on a southern car. His guess was that the car had spent some time sitting in 18 inches of salty water, and been very well "reconditioned".

OP
OP
F

FrankM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To the OP... I hate buying used from far away. I insist on having a used car inspected by my mechanic during the "test drive". Even a new certified car, still under warranty needs to be inspected for unreported accident and flood damage. I backed out of a beautiful looking used Mustang after my mechanic put it on the lift and found signs of flood damage that was nowhere to be seen on the "Carfaux" report. It was a certified used car with less than 30,000 miles on the odo. There was allot of undercarriage rust on a southern car. His guess was that the car had spent some time sitting in 18 inches of salty water, and been very well "reconditioned".

Yup, good advice. I'll be sure to inspect and test drive any vehicle I plan to buy before signing a contract. I'm not in a hurry. One thing carfax does do is tells where a vehicle has been registered so if it's been registered in any southern states or other states where flooding has taken place in the last one to four years I'll bring some extra caution with me.

johnspd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm California (for now) so the delete is probably a risky option for getting thru smog inspections. I may end up in Utah or AZ in the next few years so I can look at it again then. Curious, if it takes 8 - 10 hours to delete how much effort is it to put it back to stock?

should be about the same time frame to put it back. The delete kit I purchased for the 2015 only required that the CAT and DPF parts of the exhaust be removed but it allowed for the full removal of the EGR system if you desired to do so.

OP
OP
F

FrankM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Two trucks I'm looking at are a charcoal 2020 RAM 2500 and a white 2019 RAM 2500 ($4k less) both with low mileage at the same dealer. They provided 40 pictures of each I can't see any difference. Did anything significant change between 2019 and 2020?

upload_2020-12-3_22-50-38.png

upload_2020-12-3_22-51-9.png

phottomatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Two trucks I'm looking at are a charcoal 2020 RAM 2500 and a white 2019 RAM 2500 ($4k less) both with low mileage at the same dealer. They provided 40 pictures of each I can't see any difference. Did anything significant change between 2019 and 2020?

View attachment 229403

View attachment 229404
Are they both the same trim level (i.e. Laramie 1 vs Laramie 2)? Bed liner (or not) in both? Do those kinds of things matter to you (some folks don't care).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963