Planning to Buy- My Frst Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all, new to rhe forum and hoping to gain as much knowledge as possible to help me choose the best truck for my needs. First off, I could probably get by with a hemi but I just want the diesel torque. Last year my son bought a turbodeisel and we pulled a 33' travel trailer from CA to FL and back and I was sold. Not sure what brand I'll end up with but I'm really impressed with the Cummins I6 and hope to find something I can afford. What does it have, like 1/3rd as many parts as an 8 cyl? Can't buy new, I'm hoping around 50k(?) could get me into something like a low mileage 2015 Laramie. I'll be pulling a toy hauler with toys in the back probably not much more than 10k lbs. Will be retired soon and plan to tour the country. Should I stay away from any particular years? What should I be aware of when it comes to emissions for that year? Can I get away with delete and tune in CA? (I may end up moving to Utah or Arizona). What about the transmission for different years? Sorry for the long post, I don't expect to get all the answers in any one reply. Just a little here and there. Thanks for any experience advice.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

The 6.7L engine was introduced during the 3rd generation truck production in 2007. When the DEF systems were introduced in 2009 there were quite a few complaints regarding regen issues on trucks that idled a lot. That seemed to have been cleared up pretty quickly and by mid-2010 production things seemed to be right again. I'd say stay away from the 2009 - 2010 model years due to the diesel particulate filter system issues. And don't think that buying one that has been deleted solves the issues. There are a lot of hack jobs out there so keep an eye out for those too and walk away. I recommend you get a truck with all the stock emissions systems in place then decide if you want to delete it or not.

3RD gen 6.7L diesel trucks came equipped with either the 68RFE in-house transmission or the Aisin Seiki transmission. Both are 6-speeds and generally the 2500 & 3500 trucks could be equipped with either the 68RFE or a G56 6-speed manual. There was an option to purchase the Aisin Seiki in the 3500 trucks.

The 4th generation trucks pretty much carried on with those same specs as the 6.7L, the 68RFE, Aisin Seiki and G56 manual transmissions were still available. There were the usual tweaks and improvements made to various systems but, for the most part, the powertrains didn't really change that much. The diesel particulate issues seemed to have been solved but you still read about things coming up from time to time.

You can not get away with a delete and tune in California and parts of Arizona have strict DEQ compliance requlations as well.

I had problems with my 2017 emissions systems, the dealers could not find or fix the issue, it left me by the side of the road a long ways from anywhere three times and I needed a reliable truck. So mine's fully deleted and tuned. In my particular case the work was done by a highly qualified shop, it runs better, it gets better mileage and I am very happy with the results. However, it is not legal in some areas.

Good luck with your search.

OP
OP
F

FrankM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good summary, thanks MD. I'm looking at the gen's and different years for highlights or things to watch for and hope to find something with only minor mods or mods done right.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I paid a little under $50K in March of this year for a fully loaded 2018 Certified Pre-owned Laramie 2500 CTD with 14K miles on it, just to give you an example. Air suspension, Ramboxes, Mega, 4x4, sunroof, heated/cooled leather seats, etc, etc. Glad I bought one with plenty of factory warranty left. It's been in the shop several times now. Not big issues, just trying to shake all the little bugs out.

Love the drive train. This is not my first diesel 3/4ton, but it is my first one in the age of DEF. Pulls my trailer VERY well through the Ozark Mts where I live and play. Have made a couple of longer trips with it, and it is a pleasure to travel in. I may delete it someday, but it would not be until the factory warranty expires at 100K.

Good luck on your search.

BubbaJo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
it will be really hard to impossible to find shops now that will tune and delete diesel trucks. The EPA is doing their best to shut that down. Handing out $250k fines to shops that get caught. Especially in your area. I'm in michigan where don't have emission testing OR yearly inspections and we still don't have shops who do tuning or deleting.

unmolested/non-tuned low mileage diesels are out there, you just have to look hard. I found my 2012 with 97k miles on it in july of 2020. Never towed heavy weights, fully stock mechanically, with just cosmetic changes.

I'm planning on doing some things to it once money is available (currently buying a house so all 'fun' funds are on hold at the moment). I did have to travel 2-3 hours away to get it though lol.

My budget was under yours so it made it a little harder. With your budget it should be pretty easy to find one that isn't tuned since it will still be under factory warranty.

Towing with diesels is awesome! zero worries if you will have enough power to go up that mountain, or pass that slow moving car in front of you.

OP
OP
F

FrankM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies all and good info, a 2018 Laramie with low mileage like that would be a dream find. Gives me hope that something is out there. I was in Utah last weekend and saw a few trucks at used car dealers. One was a 2017 Laramie Limited for $55k but I know those prices are really negotiable. I also have a 2004 1500 Hemi for a possible trade in. It had 60k miles and a lift kit of some sort or maybe it was just that high. Another thing to look at is the undercarriage I understand to verify welds and signs of salt damage. There was no liner in the bed and I could see that it was scratched and dented. Lots of farms out that way.

I don't really care where I have to travel to if I find the right buy.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
The transmissions are usually if not always the 6 speed 68RFE in the 2500HD trucks unless you find a G56 6 speed manual trans truck. The 68 is a good transmission if the truck is driven sensibly and serviced at reasonable intervals. When I had my 2011 deleted and tuned I also bought transmission tuning and I highly recommend this upgrade when power is added to the engine. I know some of the 11-12 CTD owners think their stock emission trucks are great but I couldn't stand mine until all that crap fell off (less than 3,000 miles on the clock). I think the DEF trucks are somewhat better as far as emissions are concerned (13- present) but some owners are having troubles with those years also. I think the guys that pull trailers most of the time have little trouble but the ones that drive the city and don't get the systems up and running are the ones with trouble. The DEF trucks make much better fuel economy in stock form.

Kaliphornia will not allow you to delete your diesel truck, period. There are some tune manufacturers that are doing emissions intact tuning for them, but I don't know hardly anything about them. You could probably do some research on the web and get some good info.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think the guys that pull trailers most of the time have little trouble but the ones that drive the city and don't get the systems up and running are the ones with trouble.
Agreed. They are made to pull, not to commute.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Prices may not be a negotiable as one may think. With a shortage of new vehicles, the price of used ones has gone up and the dealers are not budging much on price. The used car place I used to buy from routinely had 1 or 2 year old 2500 SLT 6.7's for around $40K with less than 25k miles with 4 or 5 to choose from. Now they have 0 diesels and 1 gas truck.

phottomatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Prices are ridiculous right now, I've been looking for 3 months and trucks are selling really fast. I've noticed a slow down this week lets hope it continues.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I don’t know if our current situation with the Covid has affected vehicle sales, but I went to the Ram sight last year and they were offering some outstanding deals on previous year new trucks. Like I say I don’t know about this year but it would be worth a look. I bought an 18’ 2500 Tradesman CC 4x4 short bed with the chrome pkg and a good many other extras, new for 41k. Had 11 miles on it and full warranty. Just sayin.....

phottomatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Is a 2013 mega cab Laramie with 150k miles worth 30k?

Duck62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I walked out the door last weekend with a brand new 2020 2500 4X4 Tradesman with the towing package with cameras, Upholstery upgrades and a few other perks. I traded in my ram 1500 Bighorn and went out the door for 50,000 tax, etc....

phottomatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Last summer I paid $39K for my 2017 CTD 4x4 SLT with only 33k miles on it. That 2013 is way overpriced.
LOL they are actually asking $36,499. I offered $25,800 haven't heard back yet. Prices are ridiculous right now.

phottomatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I apologize for hijacking the thread but just to be clear, because I forgot to mention, I'm looking at 2500s.

roguepra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was told to stay away from 2007.5 (6.7) because the first year had issues. Any validity to that? I found one in good shape but im scared to pull the trigger on it..