Please help!!! Issues with Rotary shifter knob. Replacement can't be used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For me, I could never do a complete detailing, plan a drive into the country , get in my truck, start that Hemi, and then turn a little knob.

Que the sound of a deflating balloon....

But I also would buy roll down windows if I could have.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like the old-school floor 4x4 shift too. Harkens back to a simpler machine. My nephew who just got his license was totally blown away by the coolness of a floor shift into 4x4. He'd never seen one before. I'm guessing as 4x4's became popular, too many unfamiliar users just didn't know how to use the lever very well.

And in truth, infrequently-used 4x4 shift mechanisms would get sticky or not able to be shifted. There was a certain 'finesse' ya had to employ (along with some lube sprayed from underneath) to gently work the shift mechanism free again. That was the joy of owning an older 4x4 that would have filled numerous forum posts if forums existed back then. And plus there's are numerous tie-in to electronic 'aids' nowadays.

It wasn't that long ago some Ford F250/F350 work truck's had manual floor-shift 4x4 levers. 2010 for sure, maybe even later.
My ‘16 power wagon has a floor lever for the 4wd. I think thats still an option on the 23’s too.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I think some Jeeps still use a Handle instead of a round knob

A Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive floor console conversion would work, but you would still need to use the steering wheel buttons to shift between gears 1 through 8.
The steering wheel gears are also pretty useless.
Has anyone tried Down & UP Shifting, when your Tires are in any position other than pointed straight ahead ?

The Current set up is Elderly folks.

With the pre 2013 Rams, you could have Fun on a winding road, down shifting & upshifting, braking & accelerating :) :) :)

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I think some Jeeps still use a Handle instead of a round knob

A Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive floor console conversion would work, but you would still need to use the steering wheel buttons to shift between gears 1 through 8.
The steering wheel gears are also pretty useless.
Has anyone tried Down & UP Shifting, when your Tires are in any position other than pointed straight ahead ?

The Current set up is Elderly folks.

With the pre 2013 Rams, you could have Fun on a winding road, down shifting & upshifting, braking & accelerating :) :) :)

I have no issues up or down shifting using either the buttons,or better yet the paddles in my truck.
Paddles are fairly easy to add to a 4th Gen with the 8 speed
If you're that hung up on a console shifter,the Challenger/Charger or Jeep 8 speed console shifter can be adapted into the trucks with a bit of fabbing.

Attachments

• DSCN3838.JPG
    DSCN3838.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN3839.JPG
    DSCN3839.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 9

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
But can you use the paddles when you are in the middle of a turn ?
Or do you have to wait to shift, when the wheels are pointed straight ahead.

I would not be doing the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, but damn, let me have some fun.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

You remind me of a fun driving experience from my past.

After spending a week of solo canoe tripping in Temagami's old growth forest, I found myself driving out on a logging road that had granular A as it got closer to the highway.

My '93 Nissan Kingcab 4x4 had a console shifter with a full manual mode.

Big wide open road or at least on most of the sharp corners with steep grades, and zero traffic besides myself.

This was my first experience pushing a truck and my own personal limits with controlled sliding around combination corners/steep grade changes.

This experience would have been near impossible without the manual shift feature that allowed maintaining a high engine rpm, to utilize the engine drag.

The thing is, that was about 28 years ago and the thought of using a full sized truck for that kind of fun gives me an uneasy feeling.

It was incredibly stimulating and a fun memory but, I can't see doing that again in my lifetime.

YMMV :cool:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Trying to get back on the original topic of the rotary dial not working.

Was looking through my AlfaOBD program this AM (I use it on windows 10), there is an item in there to "Reset VIN Values" in the Electronic Shifter function

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Not sure why you think you can't shift the trucks while they're turning. I've been known to do the odd donut,and i'll start the tire spinning in 1st,release the brakes and 1/2 way through the donut make the shift into 2nd to get more wheel speed.Once you figure out where to place your thumb on the ERS buttons you can do the same thing with the buttons,as i do with the paddles

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have not looked at a vehicle with the paddles.

I picture in my mind, that the paddles move with the steering wheel.
So when the steering wheels Top Center point is turned to where that point is rotated to say the 10 o'clock position, the paddles would also be at the same position.

IF the paddles move with the steering wheel, up & down shifting would be difficult in a turn ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have not looked at a vehicle with the paddles.

I picture in my mind, that the paddles move with the steering wheel.
So when the steering wheels Top Center point is turned to where that point is rotated to say the 10 o'clock position, the paddles would also be at the same position.

IF the paddles move with the steering wheel, up & down shifting would be difficult in a turn ?
If you're that far crossed up,you've lost control,and where the paddles or buttons are has become a mute point,lol
Same as having a console shifter,if you're that far gone,you've got both hands on the wheel ,and you're not banging gears with the console shifter either,lol