Please help!!! Issues with Rotary shifter knob. Replacement can't be used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thartley23

Reaction score
Ram Year
My boyfriend's dodge ram 1500 was running fine and then after getting back in it at the store he put it in reverse and it wouldn't go said shift to P then desired gear but no matter how many times he did this it still wouldn't work. So he took it to dodge and they said he needed a new rotary shift knob. He got a used one and put it in still wouldn't work and they told him that you can't use a used one it has to be new. A friend told me you can use a used one but it has to be flashed. I'm not sure what that means though. Can someone explain this to me.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My boyfriend's dodge ram 1500 was running fine and then after getting back in it at the store he put it in reverse and it wouldn't go said shift to P then desired gear but no matter how many times he did this it still wouldn't work. So he took it to dodge and they said he needed a new rotary shift knob. He got a used one and put it in still wouldn't work and they told him that you can't use a used one it has to be new. A friend told me you can use a used one but it has to be flashed. I'm not sure what that means though. Can someone explain this to me.
It probly has to be reflashed so the electronics in the vehicle can communicate with it. I had to have that done even when i swapped to tow mirrors. The dealer can do it, or anyone with the proper software/system.

OP
OP
T

thartley23

Reaction score
Ram Year
So you can change it out with a used one. Do you know approx how much the dealership charges for this?

Last edited:

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
This sounds like some Dealer BS. I replaced my rotary shift knob with an aftermarket one years ago and never had an error message and never had to flash the computer. Maybe his replacement knob was a little loose and wasn't turning the shaft appropriately?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Complete BS. The shift knob is nothing more than an electronic switch. Many of us, including myself have swapped the rubber covered lower end model for the nicer one out of a Laramie model. Simply plug and play.

The inner workings and the interface with the truck are the same no programming needed.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So, a little confused. The truck wouldn't shift but it was at dealer and then back at the house. Did it shift sporadically or was this a tow and tow?

I ask because did the dealer actually get it in for service and diagnose it, or was this a "... It might be your dial..." but it never was properly connected up to be scanned. It could be that the dial isn't the problem. While dealer service can be expensive it can also be worth the cost.

Is the dial the exact part number? It could be a bad part, or maybe for some reason it does need to have flash done. Hard to say without more information.

Options are to take it to the dealer but be prepared for them to put a new dial in, possibly the used one is bad. Or you can buy a new one (pm Benny at All Mopar Parts in vendor section to inquire for part number and cost) and install but again, it may not have been the problem.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I found a video, they explain just about everything

how to just change the knob face

a short video that mentions what all should know

I was reminded, that you can't shift without the BRAKE Pedal
which means, there has to be a wire & some kind of triggering device

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
yep, looks like it is peeking over the bushes

when i first saw it, i thought it was a piece that went over the rotary shifter, then i looked again

The one that i think looks good for a push button Ignition
Ram TRX

1700497141830.png

1700497334165.png
1700497474951.png

Last edited:

dsherman26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many floor shifters have ever gone out? I dislike these knobs.
Electronically controlled automatic transmissions have been around for at least 30 years. Whether the switch to determine the gear is attached to a lever on the column, a lever on the floor, or a knob on the dash makes zero difference.

Edit: Older ones still had a mechanical connection to the parking pawl, that has disappeared in more recent incarnations such as this one.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How many floor shifters have ever gone out? I dislike these knobs.

I like the old-school floor 4x4 shift too. Harkens back to a simpler machine. My nephew who just got his license was totally blown away by the coolness of a floor shift into 4x4. He'd never seen one before. I'm guessing as 4x4's became popular, too many unfamiliar users just didn't know how to use the lever very well.

And in truth, infrequently-used 4x4 shift mechanisms would get sticky or not able to be shifted. There was a certain 'finesse' ya had to employ (along with some lube sprayed from underneath) to gently work the shift mechanism free again. That was the joy of owning an older 4x4 that would have filled numerous forum posts if forums existed back then. And plus there's are numerous tie-in to electronic 'aids' nowadays.

It wasn't that long ago some Ford F250/F350 work truck's had manual floor-shift 4x4 levers. 2010 for sure, maybe even later.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The shifter on the floor console just feels a lot more comfortable & i had never grabbed the shift knob when i was looking for the radio knob.

I have had the rotary knob now for 6 years and 10 1/2 months & i am still grabbing the darn rotary knob instead of the radio knob.
So all of the people that said, that i will get used to the Rotary Knob.
I am used to it irritating me

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am use to the knob, don't bother me, but I do miss the center shift handle for a hand rest on drives. I have never mixed up the radio knob for the shift knob, yet.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have had the rotary knob now for 6 years and 10 1/2 months & i am still grabbing the darn rotary knob instead of the radio knob.
So all of the people that said, that i will get used to the Rotary Knob.
I am used to it irritating me
Likewise the radio knob won't shift your transmission , ask me how I know. :eek: :D