Poor FM Reception

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jameskuzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had my 2020 Ram 1500 for about a month now, and while I'm loving the truck, the FM radio reception is disappointingly poor. AM is actually very good for a modern radio.

The stronger local stations come in just fine but those with lower power or in an adjacent city are a struggle. I've never had any issue with reception on any of these same stations with any other vehicle in the past 30+ years.

Is this a common complaint with this vehicle?

Jim

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I get good reception in the metro area that I live and mostly listen to serrius on the road..there are probably some good after market antennas to get. the test for me is if I can pick up my favorite station 92.5 all the way to waco from ft. worth..90ish miles..my '19 ram starts to fizzle a few miles short so it does seem to be a little weaker than the '17 gmc sierra I had before.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Since your RAM is new I would have the dealer look at it ! May just be a poor antenna connection ! Please update what you find out !

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I've had my 2020 Ram 1500 for about a month now, and while I'm loving the truck, the FM radio reception is disappointingly poor. AM is actually very good for a modern radio.

The stronger local stations come in just fine but those with lower power or in an adjacent city are a struggle. I've never had any issue with reception on any of these same stations with any other vehicle in the past 30+ years.

Jim

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

OP
OP
J

jameskuzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares
Thanks, Alison! I sure will, and I appreciate the reply.

Jim

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm running around in the rural areas of SE Alabama and the Florida panhandle. FM reception is exceptional for my UConnect 9" radio. Pulling in stations from up to 80 miles away (high-wattage stations, not the lower ones).

On a side note: These UConnect radios have HD radio capability, right?

Tony Ansley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorque

Jim

I have the same problem on my 2019 with the 8 inch uconnect. I live 30 miles north of Austin and none of my other vehicles have this problem. Stations tend to oscillate getting better and worse repetitively...even when sitting still.

Xav8r

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I too have this issue with poor FM reception in rural areas with my 2019 Ram Classic Big Horn where all my other vehicles have no problem at all under the same conditions/distance. Has anyone found a solution to this?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Do the Rams with bad FM reception have an antenna in the fender ?

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Do you have led bulbs on your truck .... leds bulbs cause interference not only with the radio but also the garage door opener ... sucks ...

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Ensure you have HD radio turned on, it makes a difference even on non-hd channels.

Use a multimeter and make sure your amplified antenna has power.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
so now the roof antenna has everything combined in it

AM/FM/Sirius XM/ GPS & Telephone & on some Rams Navigation ?

It's a wonder that anything works

I forgot one other thing, if it has the mirror with 911 & Assist buttons, then the Ram has its own telematics circuit board, this circuit board does not use your cell phone it is assigned to the VIN of your Ram
It can be used to make calls for help, even if there is no cell phone within 100 miles
I don't believe that Rams sold for use in Canada, have this function

Last edited:

Hanzie411

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi etorque
i am having the same problem on my truck. multiple radio stations coming in with alot of static, which used to not. Is this a known issue?

Theskater101388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m having the same issue on my 2022 I just got a couple days ago. Radio stations that would come in crystal clear on my 2002 Nissan Altima (that has no visible antenna on the vehicle) are coming in with a bit of static on my 20 year newer and taller truck. Wtffff