UConnect radio reception issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn and the reception on all channels are horrible (am and fm). There is a lot of static on all stations, all the time - even the local stations I know should be crystal clear. My Mercedes, my girlfriend's Jeep Wrangler and my neighbor's 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn reception are perfectly clear. I have nothing installed in my Ram that would interfere with reception. I even tried 3 different expensive antennas and still get the static. I've screwed back in the OEM antenna (tight seated) and returned the aftermarket ones. I use the SiriusXM and my phone and it's crystal clear. Anyone have any suggestions on what's going on?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn and the reception on all channels are horrible (am and fm). There is a lot of static on all stations, all the time - even the local stations I know should be crystal clear. My Mercedes, my girlfriend's Jeep Wrangler and my neighbor's 2022 Ram 1500 Big Horn reception are perfectly clear. I have nothing installed in my Ram that would interfere with reception. I even tried 3 different expensive antennas and still get the static. I've screwed back in the OEM antenna (tight seated) and returned the aftermarket ones. I use the SiriusXM and my phone and it's crystal clear. Anyone have any suggestions on what's going on?
Have you checked the connection on the back of the radio? Any antenna shorter than factory will lower signal quality. LED or HID headlights/fog lights can cause EMI when on that will cause static on AM/FM signals as well.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting...

Have you tested the radio performance without the truck running?
Does this make any difference in the sound quality?

Many years ago it was commonplace for ignition noise to completely trash vehicle stereo performance.

The next step in my mind is to confirm the antenna connection at the radio.

OP
OP
BigFrog

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting...

Have you tested the radio performance without the truck running?
Does this make any difference in the sound quality?

Many years ago it was commonplace for ignition noise to completely trash vehicle stereo performance.

The next step in my mind is to confirm the antenna connection at the radio.
Just checked and gets static when running. Doesn't do it with engine off and on accessories.

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

Truth. Usually a choke coil put inline fixed that. Not sure where you'd stick one on the back of the PCM, though.

One thing to check if you don't have a factory antenna - did water get in between the antenna and the connection or is it loose?

OP
OP
BigFrog

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Truth. Usually a choke coil put inline fixed that. Not sure where you'd stick one on the back of the PCM, though.

One thing to check if you don't have a factory antenna - did water get in between the antenna and the connection or is it loose?
Factory antenna. In fact, I have 2 of them and both do the same. Tight as a duck's ****. I even tried it loose. Is there a black plastic washer type where the antenna screws in? It screws in tight, but not sitting metal on metal.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Just checked and gets static when running. Doesn't do it with engine off and on accessories.
You have a bad ground and or a device creating EMI. You can improve the factory grounds in the engine bay by cleaning them and maybe removing some paint to improve them (you'll want to seal it up somehow after refastening the ground, I used liquid electrical tape).

Do you have aftermarket LED/HID bulbs in the foglight and/or headlights?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Definitely sounds like a bad ground as stated already. But possibly not the radio ground but some other ground that is creating the interference. Start with major ground wires and work backwards, checking the integrity of the wires, cleanliness of connection points, and tightness.