Poor gas mileage and bad brake install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just posting this in case it helps someone down the road. You can believe me, or not.

When I picked up my 2011 1500 5.7 in 2015 I was getting around 17L/100km (just according to truck computer). I was pretty happy about that since my previous Ford Edge was getting around 15L/100km. I'm not sure exactly when but at some point I noticed my truck started getting around 20L/100km. It was winter time and I'd be letting my truck warm up so I thought, meh.. Then in the past year I had hit 22L/100km, even during the summer. My brakes had been pulsing for some time also, I just assumed due to warped rotors and lived with that until a time I could replace them.

I've been doing a bunch of work to it lately including all new brakes. I quickly found out that whoever had done the brakes before me had mangled the rattle clips on the back brakes. The pads were worn at a wicked angle because they couldn't move inside the clips properly. Now through the week after doing the brakes, my mileage has suddenly jumped back to 17.2L/100km! No signs of any extreme heat, but obviously enough dragging to cause some mileage issues.

So just wanted to share that, in case someone is looking for a shot in the dark.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for posting , definitely something to consider for a sudden mileage decrease especially if brakes have been changed recently.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure I understand this "L" you speak of, or "km"... :cheers:

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Raist11

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for that info. This is why I've done my own work all my life.

Yup, and I refuse to pay someone to do brakes with how easy it is to do. Hard to say if the previous owner or a garage had done it but definitely buggered it, whoever it was.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Yup, and I refuse to pay someone to do brakes with how easy it is to do. Hard to say if the previous owner or a garage had done it but definitely buggered it, whoever it was.
That's my reasoning. It happened to you. Who's next? That guy's/gal's still doing brake jobs. (Like how I was fair there for all the lady mechanics). It's BRAKES! Stupid kills sometimes. Gotta say, it is gettin' harder to get up off the driveway lately. I'll do it until I can't.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The ****** at work say 3.8L=1 gallon so that's what I use as a reference point for all that metric stuff.

LOL. I actually grew up using the metric system (I grew up in Asia) and Celsius. I just love messing with metric system people now that I haven't used it regularly in 20 years.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ive never actually done it (stupid me!) but Ive always wanted to take a brand new vehicle, jack it up and "feel" how much drag there is while spinning the wheels. Assuming everything was correct from the factory, its essentially a baseline for what spinning them should feel like later on in life. That way you can kinda hopefully tell if something is out of spec (bad brake change, wheel bearing/axle going out, etc).

Could even take it one step further and use a scale to pull on a given spot of the wheel or tire, note the scale reading and keep on record.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Old role of thumb on drum brakes when using a brake spoon to spin the adjuster wheel was set it where if you pull the tire down to spin it (on a lift), it should go around once and stop.
Disk brakes are not adjustable for that.
Ive never actually done it (stupid me!) but Ive always wanted to take a brand new vehicle, jack it up and "feel" how much drag there is while spinning the wheels. Assuming everything was correct from the factory, its essentially a baseline for what spinning them should feel like later on in life. That way you can kinda hopefully tell if something is out of spec (bad brake change, wheel bearing/axle going out, etc).

Could even take it one step further and use a scale to pull on a given spot of the wheel or tire, note the scale reading and keep on record.