Pop Up / Jeep Hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Last edited:
OP
OP
heefageLA

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
https://neworleans.craigslist.org/rvs/d/violet-31-prowler-man-cave-travel/6944836854.html

Don't know if this would help you, you could scrap just about everything here for the frame.....

Then find something like this for the front half:

img_1FmjId9YRN.jpg

HiLo TowLite 15T.....throwing out ideas

Great ideas!
We're on the same page. I wouldn't mind spending a few thousand on the sleeper end if I can get a usuable frame for cheap.

Now that I look on craigslist there are several good buys for $1k and under. It looks like that's the best place so far.

Last edited:

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Long and wide trailers are fine on the interstate highways for not something I would take into the back country, much less on forest service roads in the woods. Great though if you like spending time in RV parks and KOA campgrounds. To each his own.

OP
OP
heefageLA

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Long and wide trailers are fine on the interstate highways for not something I would take into the back country, much less on forest service roads in the woods. Great though if you like spending time in RV parks and KOA campgrounds. To each his own.

The jeep is still road legal. It can easily drive to where the fun parts are... Im not looking to build an offroad trailer. I just want to be able to pull my jeep and camper all in one unit.

Also, the tow truck is lowered with 22'' wheels on it. Even though it is a 4x4, ill be damned if it ever finds itself on a service road! ;)

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
OP
OP
heefageLA

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Is it just going to be you or more than 2? You could, if you had to, front half an older TT, bed, kitchen area and bathroom area...if it has an outdoor shower part, utilize that if need be as well to save weight and room. A bit of construction on your part....

It will be four people max. That's why I'm leaning more toward a sideways pop up. Alot of them are around 8ft x 8ft square, and the beds fold out on each end. Something with a water tank and outdoor shower. We would cook outside on a camp stove to.

Something like a Jayco 8sd

https://images.app.goo.gl/69cPBA1J7PKsAHqJA

Last edited:

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the picture posted they are using the the smallest popup box and depending on the brand / model. I owned a Jayco model 806 which stood for its closed box length of 8ft 6 inches. There is an old Coleman columbia model that was even shorter. I would estimate it was either just under over just over 7 feet in box length. As for sideways mounting, the roof clamp system on those is fairly stout and would take the aero load as it would be mostly turbulent air that is between tow vehicle and trailer. If you wanted to custom build something or get modification ideas you may want to check out http://www.tnttt.com/ these guys build camper trailers ultra light weight using harbor freight trailers, as well as they have sections on cargo trailer conversions (i.e. making camper out of one), etc. I have seen a lot of great ideas, and had planned at one point to build out my own. They have great ideas, and use interesting lightweight construction techniques.

OP keep us posted on your eventual build ideas as well as your end results. I think it would be cool to see your "trailer" project when you finish.