Popping/Clunking Noise when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just lifted my truck with a 6" zone kit about 3 months ago. I previously had my Bils @ 2.8" with a 1" rear spacer. I lift those as is and installed the 6" kit on top of it.

When I was leveled I never noticed, nor had this issue.

Couple of days after lifting when backing into my driveway and the wheels turned to the left, when I hit the incline with my front tires it popped/clinged? almost like something binding up and popping back into place? Went away for awhile, then when pulling into my neighbors drive way to turn around, the same thing. When I turned the wheels to the left and hit the incline the same noise.

At times it happens when just turning the wheel to the left with no incline, but its usually when coming in or out of an incline and turning left, never notice it much when turning the wheel to the right.

It doesn't happen all the time, hit and miss. It's seeming to happen more now though, possibly the colder weather, or am I imagining it?

I checked the bolt on the steering shaft and its tight. I also checked the bolts on the lower dash on the inside from the TB posted and they're tight as well. Springs seem to be seated correctly. All new components were installed: tierod ends, swaybar end links, etc.

Would the lift components cause this? Is something not torqued correctly? Sway bar binding? Is something installed incorrectly? The spring and strut assembly was already installed from when I was leveled. We didn't install the pre-load spacer, we just placed the spacer on top and then bolted the entire assembly back in. I didn't have this issue when leveled so would that count out the spring not being seated properly?

I'm not sure what else to look at or where to start. Truck is a 2014 and has no warranty remaining on it. I could purchase a Lifetime warranty on it but thats upwards of a couple grand.

Any tips or ideas?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll put my money on UCA bolts loose... “ don’t ask me how I know”

Have someone jump in it while the truck is parked and running and have them turn the front wheels from side to side, as they do this watch the upper control arm assembly, it will most likely move ever so slightly, “Or just throw a wrench on the bolts and make sure they are tight”. My truck did exactly what urs is doing because they missed one bolt after alignment. I would watch both sides for any anomalies as someone turns the wheel.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll put my money on UCA bolts loose... “ don’t ask me how I know”

Have someone jump in it while the truck is parked and running and have them turn the front wheels from side to side, as they do this watch the upper control arm assembly, it will most likely move ever so slightly, “Or just throw a wrench on the bolts and make sure they are tight”. My truck did exactly what urs is doing because they missed one bolt after alignment. I would watch both sides for any anomalies as someone turns the wheel.

Would you happen to know the torque specs on those bolts?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No sorry, i could literally watch the rear driver side mount move as the wheels got turned.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I checked the bolts and their all tight to the required torque.

After checking the bolts, I went to pull of out of my driveway yesterday and the noise happened again.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you check the front sway bar end links?....see if there’s any play where it attaches to the lower control arm

Watch this from @Quick_Shifter

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
If it’s only doing it at full lock the steering knuckle could be hitting the lower control arm. Inspect the knuckle and lower control arm

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you check the front sway bar end links?....see if there’s any play where it attaches to the lower control arm

Watch this from @Quick_Shifter

JB, swaybar endlinks are good, nice and tight and no movement.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I double checked the upper control arm bolts and the strut tower bolts on the very top. They are all tight.

Still getting the noise. My wife pulled my truck into the driveway today and I could hear the noise while sitting inside the house. Seems to happen only when turning left, I never seem to hear it when turning to the right.

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still having this same issue. Could it be possible that I'm having this issue from running a zone 6" lift along with bilstein 5100's @ 2.8?

I DIDN'T install the preload spacers.

Not sure where else to look or what it could be.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Still having this same issue. Could it be possible that I'm having this issue from running a zone 6" lift along with bilstein 5100's @ 2.8?

I DIDN'T install the preload spacers.

Not sure where else to look or what it could be.

Doubt it, Im running a zone lift with the Eibach kit set at 3.5"
Can you re create the issue on demand and tie wrap your phone to the frame to video and see if anything is moving. Or take it to a shop and re create it for them when you drop it off.

Also when you say you double checked the bolts, did you loosen them and then re torque of just verified they were tight?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Post some pictures too. The top hat spacers are proprietary maybe they were installed backwards. or just more eyes on it maybe someone will see something out of place

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doubt it, Im running a zone lift with the Eibach kit set at 3.5"
Can you re create the issue on demand and tie wrap your phone to the frame to video and see if anything is moving. Or take it to a shop and re create it for them when you drop it off.

Also when you say you double checked the bolts, did you loosen them and then re torque of just verified they were tight?

I just verified they were tight. I didn't loosen anything. I just set my torque wrench to the required lbs. and then checked the bolts

OP
OP
DonnyP

DonnyP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Post some pictures too. The top hat spacers are proprietary maybe they were installed backwards. or just more eyes on it maybe someone will see something out of place

Sure, what pictures would you all like? I can get whatever might help. This problem is annoying and driving me nuts haha. I just want it fixed. Friend of mine that's a mechanic has is own setup at his house. He thought the sounds might be coming from my rack and pinion.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I just verified they were tight. I didn't loosen anything. I just set my torque wrench to the required lbs. and then checked the bolts

The upper control arms don’t effect your alignment so I would loosen the bolts, drive back and forth 5 feet and then torque them to 130lb while the truck is on the ground not jacked up. That will ensure the bushings are not bound up and it’s quick and easy to do.
Post pictures of the strut at a few angles and the 3 bolts on the top of the strut tower.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Also did you install the lift or have someone install it for you. With the new Zone tie rod ends they require the inner tie rod to be cut down