Possible owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just where are you getting that info from,the 8HP70 is good to at least 650 rwhp with a good tune,and there's guys pushing them to well over 700rwhp and they're still living.Back up your claims there lad with some proof.
The pressure plates are still a week spot, there's already aftermarket parts for the weak spots on these 8-speeds

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The pressure plates are still a week spot, there's already aftermarket parts for the weak spots on these 8-speeds
The clutches and steels only become an issue above 700rwhp. You can build the 8HP70 to handle a 1,000 rwhp,but if you're in that catagory,most guys are swapping in the 8HP90,as you're a high dollar build by then.At stock power levels it's tough to find a better transmission then the 8HP70.It beats the **** out of the GM/Ford cross 10 speed

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The clutches and steels only become an issue above 700rwhp. You can build the 8HP70 to handle a 1,000 rwhp,but if you're in that catagory,most guys are swapping in the 8HP90,as you're a high dollar build by then.At stock power levels it's tough to find a better transmission then the 8HP70.It beats the **** out of the GM/Ford cross 10 speed
And that's the same thing that was said about the 66RFE, it can handle 600 ft-lbs of torque with the 6.4 only having 430. It has nothing to do with that, it's mostly heat and conditions the truck has been through. The tranny has a cooler that is no good to you with it's stock restrictions and no air moving over it at slow speeds. If one is to only tow with it then one might never see an issue. I do slow 4 low work with heavy loads not just towing. The clutches and steels will warp and slowly kill the tranny, the valve plate will bend under stress, and the valves will scuff the walls, over time the same thing that happens to the RFE's will kill the 8 speed too ... but I think there will be less issues in the long run over the RFE

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
And that's the same thing that was said about the 66RFE, it can handle 600 ft-lbs of torque with the 6.4 only having 430. It has nothing to do with that, it's mostly heat and conditions the truck has been through. The tranny has a cooler that is no good to you with it's stock restrictions and no air moving over it at slow speeds. If one is to only tow with it then one might never see an issue. I do slow 4 low work with heavy loads not just towing. The clutches and steels will warp and slowly kill the tranny, the valve plate will bend under stress, and the valves will scuff the walls, over time the same thing that happens to the RFE's will kill the 8 speed too ... but I think there will be less issues in the long run over the RFE
Well if you're going to use the truck as a skid steer loader,you can hardly blame the truck now can you. You're blaming the truck because it can't take abuse,point me to another truck that can take the abuse you're inflicting on it. You're bad mouthing the transmissions in them,because they won't handle abuse,come on man give your head a shake,and buy the proper tools for the job instead,like a skid steer loader,lol.The trucks aren't designed to haul logs out of the bush,or to drag a drilling rig on site,lol

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not blaming the truck at all .. just wish there was still manual transmissions. Love this truck because of it's abilities and yes I do "abuse" it if that's what "you" want to call it. All I'm trying to do is find a solution to help me work and play in the location and culture we live in and out of all the trucks out there the Ram 2500 is good at everything, maybe not the best at one thing but good at everything. Assuming makes an ass out of you and me so without getting into it deeper a skid steer is not the right tool foe the job.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Not blaming the truck at all .. just wish there was still manual transmissions. Love this truck because of it's abilities and yes I do "abuse" it if that's what "you" want to call it. All I'm trying to do is find a solution to help me work and play in the location and culture we live in and out of all the trucks out there the Ram 2500 is good at everything, maybe not the best at one thing but good at everything. Assuming makes an ass out of you and me so without getting into it deeper a skid steer is not the right tool fo

Last edited:

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
just wish there was still manual transmissions.
Let me add, I agree with this statement with a caveat: A manual box that was worthy of the power output of the engine, because the most recent Ram manual box wasn't, as evidenced by their power reduction to levels below the auto tranny through ECM programming. I never understood why they made a Cummins with a weak manual box behind it, hence making that hulk of a motor only as good as that box. Same goes for the gas motor...Great engine, but not so great if they put a manual box from a mini-van behind it.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i’ve read of numerous problems online all coming back to the idea the transmission aren’t very reliable. That’s why i was curious what actual owner’s opinions were.
I have a 2017 with 105k hard trouble free miles. Change the oil only when the idiot light tells me (around 10k miles) and haven’t touched the transmission. Still shifts as smooth as the day I bought it.