possible wheel speed sensor issues...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See posts above.
I now have scanning and programming abilities, and I’m only out $40. Decided to go with the JScan software. It has all the functionality I will ever need (very similar functionality to the alfaobd), and works with iOS devices.

And like I also said above, even if I had scanned it first, and gotten the codes listed above, my next step would have been to replace both rear speed sensors. I’d be in exactly the same position as I am now, with new sensors and an issue with the harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have been monitoring the wheel speeds for a little while now, and every time I have an issue, the sensor gives an impossibly high wheel speed.
Earlier this week, I was driving @ 40mph, Right Rear sensor jumped to 407mph, tripped the dash lights, and the sensor stayed frozen at 407mph until I shut the truck off.
I am finding information that is leading me to believe that a short or break in the wire will not cause a high reading. It seams the only way for these sensors to show a high reading like that, is if there is damage to, or contamination in the teeth of the reluctor wheel. Can anyone confirm this?
If this is in fact the case, then I'm at a loss. I just pulled the wheel and rotor off again last night and inspected the reluctor, and other than being a little dusty (I live on a gravel road), it looks perfectly fine.

I'm starting to think my only three options at this point are,
1: Inspect the wire harness from tip to tail. (may be easier to access if I pull the bed. :(
2: Just assume that it's the ABS module, and replace it.
3: Throw up the :emotions133: and take it to the dealership. (last ditch effort, as I have never had a good experience with dealership services)

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I have been monitoring the wheel speeds for a little while now, and every time I have an issue, the sensor gives an impossibly high wheel speed.
Earlier this week, I was driving @ 40mph, Right Rear sensor jumped to 407mph, tripped the dash lights, and the sensor stayed frozen at 407mph until I shut the truck off.
I am finding information that is leading me to believe that a short or break in the wire will not cause a high reading. It seams the only way for these sensors to show a high reading like that, is if there is damage to, or contamination in the teeth of the reluctor wheel. Can anyone confirm this?
If this is in fact the case, then I'm at a loss. I just pulled the wheel and rotor off again last night and inspected the reluctor, and other than being a little dusty (I live on a gravel road), it looks perfectly fine.

I'm starting to think my only three options at this point are,
1: Inspect the wire harness from tip to tail. (may be easier to access if I pull the bed. :(
2: Just assume that it's the ABS module, and replace it.
3: Throw up the :emotions133: and take it to the dealership. (last ditch effort, as I have never had a good experience with dealership services)

Was the vehicle moving with the screen shot of the left vs right wheel? I suspect it runs on a 5v system but I'm not for certain. 1

If not your culprit would obviously be the passenger rear wheel. You can check the sensor with a multimeter even though it's brand new. Completely possible it failed and was a coincidence with the other wheel speed sensor failures.

https://itstillruns.com/test-wheel-speed-sensor-7617532.html

This gives you a how-to using a multimeter to test your sensors. I don't remember if the sensors were side specific. If they are you could swap sides and see if your problem is repeatable to the other side.

OP
OP
muddy12

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That screen shot was taken with the rear axle on jack stands, and spinning the tires by hand. guess I should have gotten video instead, but the left side showed accurate rpm while turning, and the right side was frozen at that higher rpm, regardless of how fast or slow I would turn the tire.
Once reset, the right side will display correctly for a random amount of time, sometimes it's 20 miles, sometimes it's 20 feet, then the reading will spike and freeze.

sensors did not appear to be side specific when I changed them. I'm supposed to cut fire wood after work tonight, but if I get a chance, I'll dig out the meter, and test the sensor.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
That screen shot was taken with the rear axle on jack stands, and spinning the tires by hand. guess I should have gotten video instead, but the left side showed accurate rpm while turning, and the right side was frozen at that higher rpm, regardless of how fast or slow I would turn the tire.
Once reset, the right side will display correctly for a random amount of time, sometimes it's 20 miles, sometimes it's 20 feet, then the reading will spike and freeze.

sensors did not appear to be side specific when I changed them. I'm supposed to cut fire wood after work tonight, but if I get a chance, I'll dig out the meter, and test the sensor.

By what you're describing I think it would be on the wire side of the truck. A small incision somewhere could ground the sensor out depending on the "bounce" so to speak. Also I imagine the wires are bundled and loomed. Look for a damaged or disturbed area for possible locations.

Harleyhog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

hi did u figure out what was causing your trouble I'm having same problem

bobhamel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 1500
I have a problem with a 2012 ram where the abs service 4 wheel drive and anti-sway lights come on, and I lose the cruise control functionality. Turning the truck off and then restarting it would clear the problem, and the truck would work normally for a day or two. I noticed that the problem often would reappear when I went over a bump. I brought it to a dealer who replaced the passenger side rear wheel speed sensor. the truck worked normally for about a month but then the problem started again. I lived with it for a few months and I noticed that sometimes turning a sharp corner seemed to activate the problem, and that sometimes the condition would not reset when I restarted the truck, and occasionally the truck would now reeset while I was driving. I took it to a second mechanic for a different problem, but asked hinm to look at this as well. He called and told me that he had a code on the same sensor that I had replaced, so I told him to replace the sensor again. While testing the truck the problem came back and he noticed that it came at 38 kph while accelerating. He turned the truck off and on. It rest but the problem came back as he accelerated to 38 kph. This time the truck would not reset, so he changed the sensor under 'warrenty" and told me that if that didn't solve the problem that the next step would be to start checking the wiring, a potentially expensive pursuit. The problem returned on the drive home (not at 38 kph) and deteriorated over the next few weeks to the the point that if would reset only occasioally while driving. Another mechanic tried to trace the wire externally from the sensor to the computer but could not. He found a connector behind the front driver wheel well that he could not get apart, so he sprayed it with WD40 and squeezed it together. He said that because it was very exposed it could possibly have corrosion. I tried the truck and it worked ok for about 20 km and I hit every bump that I could find. However when accelerating up a hill the prblem came back at 38KPH. I stopped the truck and tried again, and twice more the problem came back at 38 KPH, and the third time I could not reset it. I am about to take it back to the dealer, but I don't really want them to start taking the ruck apart without considering other possibilities.a Could it be a computer problem or a problem that causes a false code. Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance.