Possibly getting older Dodge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bassmedic46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at a 01 Dodge Ram quad cab. Owner says truck doesn’t like hills. Needs a muffler and right front wheel bearing. Owner wants 1500 for it. It has the 5.9 and looks like there is minimal rust on it. Truck has 170,000 miles on it.

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
I'm assuming a 5.9 magnum and not a 5.9 Cummins, so if it is a diesel, then disregard this post. :)

Check to see if the plenum gasket has been replaced (google how to check it, lots of info out there). They crack and will cause low power, smoking, bad mpg's. Also, it's possible that at 170k, the catalytic converter could be partially plugged causing a power loss. I pulled the muffler and welded a glasspack on my 2000 5.9 magnum and it sounded much better and was cheap.

OP
OP
Bassmedic46

Bassmedic46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you, I’ll check that out. Do you think it’s worth getting a vehicle this cheap? Seems like it could cost a lot to fix.

JohnnyMac

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Thank you, I’ll check that out. Do you think it’s worth getting a vehicle this cheap? Seems like it could cost a lot to fix.

That's one of those questions.....If you intend to make this your only car and daily driver, then might not be the best choice. At best, I was getting 10ish mpgs. Mine was lifted with bigger tires and tuned, but even so, that 5.9 magnum is well known for bad mpgs. Is it a 4x4? How are the tires. KBB shows an 01, 4x4, short bed, with standard options in fair condition at between $2200 and $3800. That being said, looking at Craigslist in my local area, these trucks still seem to hold their real world value pretty good. If you like a project to tinker with, it might end up being a good investment. All depends on how much the repairs are going to be and you are the only one that can figure that out.

OP
OP
Bassmedic46

Bassmedic46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have another vehicle, This truck would be something I would be using mostly around town. Things on the truck seem to be adding up. Unfortunately i’m Not able to do a lot of the work as i’ve Had 2 back surgeries. It is a 4x4 so I know it won’t get good mileage. Does need new tires as well.

Reactions: Mop

JohnnyMac

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
We have another vehicle, This truck would be something I would be using mostly around town. Things on the truck seem to be adding up. Unfortunately i’m Not able to do a lot of the work as i’ve Had 2 back surgeries. It is a 4x4 so I know it won’t get good mileage. Does need new tires as well.

They are around my area in good running shape for mid to high $3k. If you need a truck, I'd go that direction rather than take a chance on what might end up costing much more. But that's just me. I've been burned a couple times on fixers. I've attached a couple from around here locally you can compare to.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-1999-dodge-ram-pickup-1500-st/6953747981.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/d/sherwood-2000-dodge-ram-x4-laramie-slt/6953508707.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ctd/d/west-linn-03-dodge-ram-4wd-dr-speed/6968985502.html

OP
OP
Bassmedic46

Bassmedic46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you, Going to be passing on the truck. Person never got back to me when I wanted to come see the truck in person. Didn’t seem happy about my questions.

Reactions: Mop

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I have a rule that any vehicle under 5 grand will cost between the purchase amount and 5 grand.

This means that your 1500.00 truck will cost you about 3500.00 to get in decent shape.

Still, I would rather have a rust free truck that needed mechanical work than a rust bucket with a perfect drivetrain.