Potential first time Ram owner, should I get a RCSB 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RCSB88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. I'll come out and say I've been a Ford guy owning two F-150's for the last 16 years. But I am now truckless.

I'm looking at getting into a regular cab sport truck as a supercharger host. Kind of an odd time as I'm somewhat recently married with a kid and potentially another on the way soon. But I just love the RCSB's. The wife has a Navigator and I'm more looking for something fun to commute in and not have to borrow a truck when I need to haul stuff the requires a truck bed as that's getting old fast.

Anyway, I was planning on getting a newer F-150 5.0 RCSB 4x4. HOWEVER, I've always thought I'd consider a Ram if I didn't go Ford. I recently found what seems to me to be an incredible deal on 2017 Ram 4x4 RCSB Night Edition. 10,000 mile lease return, appears to be absolutely mint condition. 3.92 gears (huge +).

I was amazed at how many features this thing has. If anyone is familiar with Ford's, this Ram is basically like a well-equipped Lariat F-150. RCSB F-150's are only available in the two lowest trims and are pretty bare bones. So this Ram has everything going for it and only $32k, which I think, is a great price.

I know mod for mod the F-150 being aluminum will probably always be faster, but I'm not gonna be at the track much and I think I've kinda fell for this Ram.

So as I'm very raw to the Mopar world, is there anything I should be aware of in regards to this truck in particular or just Rams in general?

I've been browsing a bit and saw some concern about driveshafts and cracked tranny housings with RCSB's but if I followed right that seems to be pertaining to 2wd.

So general thoughts or particulars?

Thanks guys.

ToxicFire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I've been a Chevy guy last 20 years Nd just recently went into a 14 sport crew and so far love it. All the features I want and was a bit less then chevy.
Ride seems way smoother..

Going a ram I see as a good choice.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I been Ford guy all my life, but this 4 generation is a nicer truck to drive by far and much cheaper, I had 3 F bodies prior, and now have a rcsb. Once you drive a rear coil back suspension, you will never go back to those dump trucks. And yes cam and lifters are a challenge, spend a lot of time test driving it and make sure at warm idle it isn't ticking. If you get it come back there are some things you can do to protect those lifters.

The other issue is while the 8 speed is a great transmision, it is hard to service or even check the fluid level. They are worth it though, the rfe's stock are famous for bogging low rpms.

I think the price sounds a little high for a used 17, but with only 10k miles the guy probably babied it. Doesn't hurt to tell the guy you are nervous about lifter issues, 30k take it or leave it, I bet they take it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Now that I think about it, that price is too high by a lot, do some research. There is no resale on rc's anymore, and they were hard to find because people just didnt buy them. Super store ram dealers would have 50-70 trucks at any given time, at most 3 of them would be rc.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello everyone. I'll come out and say I've been a Ford guy owning two F-150's for the last 16 years. But I am now truckless.

I'm looking at getting into a regular cab sport truck as a supercharger host. Kind of an odd time as I'm somewhat recently married with a kid and potentially another on the way soon. But I just love the RCSB's. The wife has a Navigator and I'm more looking for something fun to commute in and not have to borrow a truck when I need to haul stuff the requires a truck bed as that's getting old fast.

Anyway, I was planning on getting a newer F-150 5.0 RCSB 4x4. HOWEVER, I've always thought I'd consider a Ram if I didn't go Ford. I recently found what seems to me to be an incredible deal on 2017 Ram 4x4 RCSB Night Edition. 10,000 mile lease return, appears to be absolutely mint condition. 3.92 gears (huge +).

I was amazed at how many features this thing has. If anyone is familiar with Ford's, this Ram is basically like a well-equipped Lariat F-150. RCSB F-150's are only available in the two lowest trims and are pretty bare bones. So this Ram has everything going for it and only $32k, which I think, is a great price.

I know mod for mod the F-150 being aluminum will probably always be faster, but I'm not gonna be at the track much and I think I've kinda fell for this Ram.

So as I'm very raw to the Mopar world, is there anything I should be aware of in regards to this truck in particular or just Rams in general?

I've been browsing a bit and saw some concern about driveshafts and cracked tranny housings with RCSB's but if I followed right that seems to be pertaining to 2wd.

So general thoughts or particulars?

Thanks guys.

If you're going to boost it and want it reliable,budget in pistons and rods,they're the weak link in the Hemi with boost.Top ring gag closes up from the heat boost adds and breaks the piston .Driveshafts are good in the 4X4 regular cab shortboxes with the 8 speed,as they still use a old style steel driveshaft with a slip yoke into the transfer case.Mines seen a 153 mph and several runs over 140 mph with no issues as far as the driveshaft goes. Trucks overpriced at 32K,i wouldn't go any higher then 26 for it,as theres a good chance they won't be able to give it away.Offer them 26 for it,if they don't take it walk away and tell them you'll leave the offer on the table for a week,good chance they'll phone you to come back,lol

OP
OP
RCSB88

RCSB88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Haha guess I was pretty optimistic on that price, I'll do some more research.

Appreciate the responses. I'll be on the lookout for the tick (Hemi-tick?)

Definitely interested to see the difference in ride quality with the rear coils. Do you guys ever have payload issues or is that even a thing? I don't foresee maxing it out but you never know. Haven't even looked into ramifications of lowering and what all that would mean.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8

Definitely interested to see the difference in ride quality with the rear coils. Do you guys ever have payload issues or is that even a thing? I don't foresee maxing it out but you never know. Haven't even looked into ramifications of lowering and what all that would mean.

Hemi tick could be 2 things, either a seized roller on a lifter causing the camshaft to beat itself to death on said lifter, or its exhaust bolts broken off in the head causing a ticking exhaust leak. I have never had a payload issue, my truck is a 2013 equipped with the 4.7L instead of the 5.7L and i haven’t had any issues in the near 500K miles of usage i’ve gotten out of my truck, everything is original on it besides for a water pump that went out @ 250K. The ride quality is better than my Chrysler 300.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

I carry 2k pounds in payload once a year, exact weight my my pellets for my stove. The ride is a little goushy, I wouldn't want to drive a lot this loaded. Upgraded shocks would make that much better, but I'd keep it at 1500-1600 for everyday load as fine. now, you are going to slam it and boost it, your payload will be like 800-1000 pounds.

yes when you test drive it after ten minutes of driving, pull over and pop hood while running and listen for tick. many hemi's have no tick and are beasts will last a decade or better.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I came from a F-150 life for 10 + years I hade a XLT and a buck board ride couldn't afford a Lariat around $5- $10 grand more, I'm in a Laramie loaded with all and more of what Ford has the ride W/ Coils is the best ride I've ever had one test ride and I was sold, yes there are cam and lifter problems but there are allot of things you can do to prevent it early on you have 10,000 with the right Oil and filter it will help.