potential fuel pump issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
hey guys, I recently hooked up my fuel pressure gauge to my fuel rail... I had it running perfectly for about two weeks. now Saturday I had my move in day at college, and on my 3.5 hour drive up here it started acting funny.

a little background on the parts involved, I have a glowshift fuel pressure gauge. I know they are not the most "accurate" gauge in the world but they looked good and were decently priced and this is why I bought them. also I have never had an issue with any of my fuel lines or my fuel pump. I never had a problem with my fuel rail either nor have I had any leaks in my connection to the fuel rail, and it was working perfectly fine...

well on my really long drive up here it was nonstop driving... and plus an extra 45 minutes of sitting in bumper to bumper traffic... the entire ride on the highway the fuel pressure stayed at a steady 63 psi. well during the bumper to bumper it started spiking up to a 100psi+ reading... well I thought that it was an electrical connection but it wasn't and all the wires were in tact and solid connected.

at this point I don't know what it is... it wouldn't be a leak because then the pressure would drop... and I am not having any issues with the injectors or pump or the rest of my fuel delivery system... could it be a bad sender? or can the pump really be spiking this high at random points in time?

keep in mind I do not have a diesel, I have the 4.7l magnum

anything helps
thanks guys/gals

Chris

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Bad unit or bad wiring. It is possible the wiring is close to something hot, and has shorted out by melting the covers for the wires during the longer drive. . Just do a quick check.

Scodo68

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 dodge ram 1500 quad cab
Engine
I for the longest time thought my fuel pump was going out but it was the wiring to the fuel pump all along