Power Door Locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesmen and I want to add power door locks. Using the key is fine when it’s just me but it’s quite the hassle trying to get the kids in. Any suggestions/ideas? I’m not the most mechanical guy so I’m hoping for something not to difficult. Thanks.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 Classic Tradesmen and I want to add power door locks. Using the key is fine when it’s just me but it’s quite the hassle trying to get the kids in. Any suggestions/ideas? I’m not the most mechanical guy so I’m hoping for something not to difficult. Thanks.
If your truck is equiped with manual locks and manual windows then yes it would be a pretty big job. You would need to add wiring, harnesses, power locks, switches, door modules plus enable all the correct codes in the BCM with the Alfa tool. If your truck actually has power locks but you just don't have the fob to unlock the truck remotely it would be much easier to add the remote lock/unlock feature but would still require programming keys (fobs) and codes with the Alfa tool.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Winsconsin608

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has power locks and windows, just no fob. How would I get the fob & codes?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has power locks and windows, just no fob. How would I get the fob & codes?
You will need to program new fobs with the lock/unlock button to the truck with the Alfa tool and enable the correct codes. You can get the fobs off of Ebay or Amazon. They need to be new or unlocked fobs with the correct lock/unlock button and the correct one for a Ram. I did this to a 2015 and the fobs started working to lock and unlock the doors as soon as I programmed them without enabling any other codes but the truck was purchased used so there was no way to know if it already had RKE (Remote Keyless Entry and someone had just programmed another regular key to the truck). You will most likely need to program the fob to the truck and then enable the RKE code. You will need the Alfa tool to do this. You would need these things.
The Alfa OBD app full version off of the google play store.
OBD connector; OBD Link MX from Scan Tool to connect the Alfa tool to the truck
New unused Quality fob. Don't buy cheap knockoffs. They are problematic and sometimes won't program.
Since you truck is a 2020 you will need the security bypass harness to connect to the OBD port. You can get this at KaodTech.com.
You will also need to get the 4 digit pin code from the dealer or you can purchase the code for $15 with the Chrysler pin puller app. Some dealers don't like giving you the code even though it's your truck and some even try to charge you for it. You can also see if the dealer can enable the code and program a new fob for you. If it's grayed out in you available options list they cannot enable the code and unfortunately most dealers are clueless about this stuff. The alfa can program the codes even if the dealer can't. I haven't seen anyone do this to a 2020 Classic yet. I reccomend you post your question on the Alfa thread and word it differently to explain you want to add a keyless remote to a 2020 Classic with power locks and windows. People should chime in at that point. I have enclosed a picture of the RKE code that needs to be enabled with the Alfa tool. If your truck has Tip-Start which means all you have to do is touch the key and it will crank automatically until the truck starts and then stop you can also add remote start pretty easily. You would need the correct fob with the lock/unlock and remote start buttons plus the safety hood latch and harness that you would need to install and then enable all the codes with the Alfa tool. Since your truck is a 2020 it should already have the correct RF hub for remote start. 3748e81d30d979a661e54fa59c5a3779.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk