Power inverter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2015 has the 115 VAC 150W inverter what does anyone use it for? I tried vacuum to no avail and plug in freshener. Meter check shows 115.4 so there's power.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When i am traveling, i plug my laptop or cell phone into it
I have used a mini air compressor too.

It would run many tools, EXCEPT for the surge of power needed right at the start.
Such as when you first pull the trigger mechanism on a Skil Saw or some heavy duty Electric drills.
You know, how when starting, it twists your wrist, just for a couple of seconds.

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
I’ve plugged in a dremel with no issues. My wife used her curling iron no issues and her hair dryer with no issues.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve plugged in a dremel with no issues. My wife used her curling iron no issues and her hair dryer with no issues.

You may want to read the spec on those devices because it's miraculous if she successfully used a hair drier.

Most any hairdryers will be 1200-1500 Watts which is 10 times the rating on the inverter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Irongoats

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hair dryer? No **** ha. I tried a fragrance plug in but it doesn't power that weird haha

reddawg67

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok going out there if I wanted to add a 3000watt inverter would I need to convert to a 24 or 48 volt system ? Or just relay in the other batteries ? No I didn’t google it !

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Inverters are funny and things often don't work. I know in RVs they advertise "pure sine wave" type so I'm guessing the reason things don't work on these non-pure sine wave type has to do with the power being output not clean enough (for lack of a better term).

A couple years ago we had a bad ice storm and the power was out for 10 days. I tried to use my Honda 2000i camping generator to fire up my gas furnace (less than 300W and the generator could have easily handled the load) but it would work. I did a bit of research and it was basically the same thing.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok going out there if I wanted to add a 3000watt inverter would I need to convert to a 24 or 48 volt system ? Or just relay in the other batteries ? No I didn’t google it !

I'm confident that you can locate a 12 Volt inverter capable of 3000 Watts.

Don't forget though, because the OEM is rated for 150 Watts, don't expect any existing wiring, associated connectors, or 110 VAC outlet to be rated any higher than 150 Watts. Chances are the 110 Volt outlet is but that will require verification.

This upgrade of the inverter will also most likely involve a wiring harness upgrade, associated connectors, etc.

If you're not very familiar with the electronic details, I'd suggest finding a plan online and posting it here for review.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The OEM inverter is likely rated for a 150 Watt resistive load.

A resistive load could be an incandescent bulb, a heating element or a simple power supply.

Any device with a motor will be an inductive load which has very different properties and among these differences is a feature known as inrush current.

Depending on the motor properties, this inrush current can be much higher than the average current or the current required to maintain the movement of the motor.

You may successfully use a device that is beyond the capability of an OEM inverter. This doesn't necessarily suggest that this use is prudent or that your inverter will last a long time while pushing it to the extremity of the operational limits.

FLA comment removed. Thanks, crash68

Last edited:
OP
OP
Irongoats

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Put plug in tester it says open ground. How it thee hell is there an open ground? haha

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
You may want to read the spec on those devices because it's miraculous if she successfully used a hair drier.

Most any hairdryers will be 1200-1500 Watts which is 10 times the rating on the inverter.

I can’t believe it myself but she did and it worked. No issues.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
For example, a furnace blower motor will have a rated inrush current value, often identified as FLA. I believe that is AKA full load amperage. Also, a compressor used in a fridge, freezer, or heatpump will have an FLA rating.
Um..no
The FLA is the full load amp rating of the motor, which is not the inrush current. If a motor is running and the amp draw is above the FLA, that motor is technically overloaded(SFA is another discussion). Inrush current of a motor load can be upwards of 5 times the FLA
Refrigerant compressors will usually have a LRA noted. Locked Rotor Amps is the maximum current expected to be seen, if a compressor exceeds this current it's either on it's way out or locked up(usually the latter).

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Put plug in tester it says open ground. How it thee hell is there an open ground?
With a typical electrical outlet the ground is bonded to the neutral bus back in the electrical panel. Your plug in tester is looking for that "connection".
The neutral is designed to carry electrical current back to the panel where a ground wire is not.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can’t believe it myself but she did and it worked. No issues.

LOL, you apparently missed my point.

You say 'no issues' yet simple math says there are big issues.

Just because it worked, doesn't suggest it is a smart move.

It is your business how you treat your truck. Best of luck.

Last edited:

PaulTGarrett

Grumpy old man
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 Cummins Turbo Diesel
I installed a 3000-watt Harbor Freight inverter under my back seat. Works great. I'm going to move it to the cab back wall once I do the seat fold down mod. I used 4AWG wire from the battery back to the inverter.

DesertRoads

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco-Diesel
Where is the power inverter located? Would be nice to keep the plug, but upgrade the inverter to a higher wattage.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where is the power inverter located? Would be nice to keep the plug, but upgrade the inverter to a higher wattage.

Don't forget to confirm the capability of the outlet, current-wise.

You can bet it won't be miles above the 150-watt rating of the OEM inverter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500