Power locks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

guanobucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I tried to unlock my doors today and only driver side opens, however if the other doors are open, the door switch closes them all. I’ve been reading up on issues and I’m seeing suggestions of the TIPM replacement. I’m doing a hard reset tonight but I’m wondering what I can check to verify. No codes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
We’re you using the fob or door switch to unlock?

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
It sounds like you are using your key fob to unlock the door. Do you have the 8.4 radio? If so, under settings in the radio there is a soft switch that you can change where the remote will either unlock only the driver door or all doors. Page 648 of my 2018 owners manual explains it and how to set it...check yours.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Exactly, you need to program the 8.4 radio.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gieco ain’t got nothing on us in terms of saving you money....

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Be nice to know if that worked for him, and you're welcome lol!! :happy160:

OP
OP
G

guanobucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will take a look at the 8.4 option. The lock switches in the truck are doing the same thing. They will lock all doors but only open the drivers door.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have mine set to “ Two clicks unlocks all” I believe

OP
OP
G

guanobucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
8.4 program option did not work, setting is to open all on double click which doesn’t happen. The interior door switches also do not open doors and do not click when I press, however if the doors are open the switch will lock them and if locked I hear a click. As 3 doors are doing same thing and it happened all at once I can’t believe it’s the door actuators as youtube suggests. Therefore I’m thinking TIPM but I don’t know how to test it or if there is a fuse or something to check. With one door working I assume fuse is also not the issue. Any ideas?

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
When I first got my truck, I was having the same problem. Sometimes they would unlock, sometimes they wouldn’t, sometimes some unlocked. I brought it to the dealer, the did an RF hub reset and it has worked perfect since. Maybe try doing that, RF reset.

OP
OP
G

guanobucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So update, the locks are still not working. As they will lock all doors but only unlock the driver door, it has people stumped. Had wires checked, but I’m thinking TIPM. Also had drivers door sensor checked.

How do I determine if it’s the TIPM? My mechanic says there is a scanner that will troubleshoot?? His scanner won’t do it.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't know if it would be the TIPM, I would take a guess the BCM is causing the problem. The BCM controls just about everything in the cab.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So update, the locks are still not working. As they will lock all doors but only unlock the driver door, it has people stumped. Had wires checked, but I’m thinking TIPM. Also had drivers door sensor checked.

How do I determine if it’s the TIPM? My mechanic says there is a scanner that will troubleshoot?? His scanner won’t do it.

To diagnose the TIPM properly you’ll need a scan tool that can activate circuits, wiring diagrams and a multi-metre.

What year is your truck? 2013+ don’t have the TIPM issues like previous ones due to the fact they don’t have a TIPM. Use the BCM instead.

OP
OP
G

guanobucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck is 2011 ram 1500 sport, is this scan tool something I can buy or is it only at dealer?

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Truck is 2011 ram 1500 sport, is this scan tool something I can buy or is it only at dealer?

Ya, you could buy one that has can do actuators but it won’t be cheap. I honestly don’t know which aftermarket scan tools can, since I use dealer stuff.

OP
OP
G

guanobucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Amazon has one for $250, I can get a TIPM for $500, I may just get one

OP
OP
G

guanobucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update on the malfunctioning locks. I had my truck scanned. What seems to be happening is that when there passenger lock / unlock button is pressed there is voltage loss 11v to 0.5v on the door lock system. On the drivers door it works fine. I’m thinking that this will lead to the TIPM.

OP
OP
G

guanobucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Locks still not working other than on drivers door, now back windows not working, I’m guessing it’s fuse box so I think I have no choice but to go to the dealer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963