Power outlet on top of dash to ignition rather than battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeavyG603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Probably a lost cause but does anyone know if there is a way to switch the cigar 12v outlet on the top of the dash on the 2020 3500 to ignition rather than battery? I have my radar detector and dash cam plugged in there and I constantly forget they are on. So many configurable things in here I figured this must be too but I haven’t found it yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I found a workaround without rewiring:

https://www.amazon.com/Ninth-City-C...+volt+plug+with+switch&qid=1591274233&sr=8-15

This isn't the exact one I have....but I plugged one like this into the cigarette lighter attachment/port on the back of the center console. I ran it along the center console up to under the dash.

I have a large Garmin GPS and a Dash Cam plugged into it under the dash. I have a double attachment plugged into the extension to run 2 electronic items.

When I get in my vehicle I reach back and turn the switch on. When I leave or park it...reach back and turn it off.

Just my workaround....I didn't want to do any major rewiring.

Good luck!

OP
OP
H

HeavyG603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I found a workaround without rewiring:

https://www.amazon.com/Ninth-City-C...+volt+plug+with+switch&qid=1591274233&sr=8-15

This isn't the exact one I have....but I plugged one like this into the cigarette lighter attachment/port on the back of the center console. I ran it along the center console up to under the dash.

I have a large Garmin GPS and a Dash Cam plugged into it under the dash. I have a double attachment plugged into the extension to run 2 electronic items.

When I get in my vehicle I reach back and turn the switch on. When I leave or park it...reach back and turn it off.

Just my workaround....I didn't want to do any major rewiring.

Good luck!

Thanks bud. I’m holding out hope Ram Engineering planned for this.....

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find the fuse that controls it. 54 on a MY 19 1500 DT. The fuse has (2) positions: Battery/Ignition. U have to move the fuse to the ignition slot. May be in box under hood or inside truck.

OP
OP
H

HeavyG603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Find the fuse that controls it. 54 on a MY 19 1500 DT. The fuse has (2) positions: Battery/Ignition. U have to move the fuse to the ignition slot. May be in box under hood or inside truck.

Thanks for the tip ! I’ll do that and report back.

OP
OP
H

HeavyG603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

So under the hood on mine it is marked F90/91 it’s a 3 prong micro fuse (plow installers tapped it). Not clear to me how I move it between as there is no other slot that it would fit.b3e1dd8b9bcb670e80dfbf7b02ef7f58.jpg

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
90 & 91 share the middle slot
However, on my 2020 90/91 change the USB port #5 serving the rear seats. Has nothing to do with the cigar lighter.

OP
OP
H

HeavyG603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
90 & 91 share the middle slot
However, on my 2020 90/91 change the USB port #5 serving the rear seats. Has nothing to do with the cigar lighter.

It definitely does on mine. It’s dead if I pull it. I’m wondering if I stick a micro in either side if that’s the select ?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
It definitely does on mine. It’s dead if I pull it. I’m wondering if I stick a micro in either side if that’s the select ?

I would assume so. What would you do with the wire using the 3 prong?

I've never seen a 3 prong fuse before. I can't advise you as I have no idea why plow installers would use 90/91 and that type of fuse.

That's a new one to me :mad:

OP
OP
H

HeavyG603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I would assume so. What would you do with the wire using the 3 prong?

I've never seen a 3 prong fuse before. I can't advise you as I have no idea why plow installers would use 90/91 and that type of fuse.

That's a new one to me :mad:

Well that was it, took out the three blade and put the two blade micro 2 one in and that was the trick. I’ll be calling them Monday but I’m assuming it was for the controller. Why a 3 blade 15amp when the factory specifically asked for a 20 is what baffles me still. Thanks for everyone’s help!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Well that was it, took out the three blade and put the two blade micro 2 one in and that was the trick. I’ll be calling them Monday but I’m assuming it was for the controller. Why a 3 blade 15amp when the factory specifically asked for a 20 is what baffles me still. Thanks for everyone’s help!

That's all good news. Yep, my 2016 also shows it as a 20amp. I'm sure so it can handle anything you would plug into it.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YES, 2 bladed, in 1 way ignition, forward (other way) battery...

That is 1st time I have seen a 3 bladed fuse like that also

ADDED: U prob gonna have to get power to the controller on yer plow I guess. With that 3 prong in there, it was like jumping circuit on both sides. But I cannot say which side to plug in, U gonna have to use a tester and determine all that and figure out which position the 2 blade for Battery/or Ignition, but from how I am reading yer post, I think U have. Now U gotta get power to yer controller.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Probably a lost cause but does anyone know if there is a way to switch the cigar 12v outlet on the top of the dash on the 2020 3500 to ignition rather than battery? I have my radar detector and dash cam plugged in there and I constantly forget they are on. So many configurable things in here I figured this must be too but I haven’t found it yet...

On my 2019 the lighter plug goes off when you turn the ignition off. Because I've had my tom-tom plugged into it and it'll go off when I turn the ignition off

OP
OP
H

HeavyG603

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
On my 2019 the lighter plug goes off when you turn the ignition off. Because I've had my tom-tom plugged into it and it'll go off when I turn the ignition off

Should be the default right ? Well not on mine. Through some assistance here and experimenting I got it switched though.

KoboldTaco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
This thread was dead for a while but did the trick for me yesterday. In my 2022 2500, there is not a 3 position fuse, but a three position 20A socket with a fuse that I moved to the opposite side and it now works on ignition.

DubC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can confirm that it's the 20amp fuse in 54a/b for the 1500 models. Default it's in left/middle. use the fuse puller from the engine box (or whatever you'd like) and swap it to middle/right. I cannot verify the lower plug in the cubby, but the top-of-dash plug is now ignition based and not always on. this is how it should have been from factory in my opinion. at least there's an option i guess.

it's different for the 2500/3500.