Power wagon and light slide in camper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low_Sky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Hummm... Okay on the "dead thread." Give me your definition of "suboptimal" and your reasons "why." I'd be genuinely interested in your comments. I've discussed and actually shown my set up to one of FCA's Power Wagon designers. He liked what he saw. Nothings perfect and there are always tradeoffs - as in this case some rear axle articulation. So, why would you "not recommend it to people" - specifically.

Because with LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate airbags and Daystar cradles you have a bag with an internal bump stop that can be run at 0 psi, that isn’t connected to the axle and can’t be torn. Lose no or negligible up travel, with no constraints on down travel for the Power Wagon’s already pretty generous droop, and longer droop attainable with the popular Thuren suspension.

Why recommend a 70% solution when there’s already a 100% solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Because with LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate airbags and Daystar cradles you have a bag with an internal bump stop that can be run at 0 psi, that isn’t connected to the axle and can’t be torn. Lose no or negligible up travel, with no constraints on down travel for the Power Wagon’s already pretty generous droop, and longer droop attainable with the popular Thuren suspension.

Why recommend a 70% solution when there’s already a 100% solution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#micdrop

That person at fca was being nice. You might have a decent setup for the average HD ram, but for a PW, keeping suspension travel is key. Limiting it with airbags that require constant contact at the top and bottom is not desirable in our case.

BobWohlers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ah, okay... Thanks for the reply and your opinions. Now, here's mine... I completely disagree and now I realize you may have little or no experience with Hellwig Big Wig Airbags. I have had two trucks with airbags and the Daystar Cradles. Both the airbags and cradles were VERY expertly installed. I've had two Daystar Cradles crack and break on me when off-roading. No problems with the airbags; just the cradles. Will never use them again as I'm off-road 50+ percent of my time in the truck. I've had the Hellwig's on the PW for a little over a year now, along with their auto-level system - ZERO problems. When the actual RAM PW Designer says you are "good to go" with a set up, I trust them. Again, thanks for reaching out.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Ah, okay... Thanks for the reply and your opinions. Now, here's mine... I completely disagree and now I realize you may have little or no experience with Hellwig Big Wig Airbags. I have had two trucks with airbags and the Daystar Cradles. Both the airbags and cradles were VERY expertly installed. I've had two Daystar Cradles crack and break on me when off-roading. No problems with the airbags; just the cradles. Will never use them again as I'm off-road 50+ percent of my time in the truck. I've had the Hellwig's on the PW for a little over a year now, along with their auto-level system - ZERO problems. When the actual RAM PW Designer says you are "good to go" with a set up, I trust them. Again, thanks for reaching out.
So, you’ve had two daystar cradles crack. The entire PW community has shown no failures, and everyone else recommends them (including etrailer.com, who doesn’t even sell them) due to their ability to offer an airbag system with no compromises to off-road capability. What’s the common denominator there?

BobWohlers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are entitled to your own opinions (which I will never argue over and even consider), but not your own facts. Articulation in an off-road vehicle is important; and the PW has lots. It's one of the reasons I chose the PW platform. The Hellwig airbags are 2 inches larger in diameter and up to 3 inches taller than standard (read: Air Lift and Firestone) 2,500-pound kits on the market. Each bag has a best-in-class volume, requiring up to 40 percent less air pressure than a 2,500-pound bag to level the same load. But here’s the clincher regarding the Hellwig Big Wig airbags: The larger airbags also provide better off road performance, as they provide up to 14 inches of axle articulation. I knew I would lose some rear-axle articulation by adding airbags, but with the Big Wig bags I didn’t lose as much as I thought. I’ve yet to lift a rear wheel off the ground on uneven terrain or cross-axle situations. It's not always about how much "articulation" a vehicle has - it's also whose hands are on the steering wheel guiding it over uneven/challenging terrain.

Last edited:

BobWohlers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hummm... Such dismissive responses (read: arrogant) to my original post above. LowSky: "Your airbag setup is SUBOPTIMAL for the Power Wagon and I wouldn’t go around recommending it to people." IRSmart: "The entire PW community has shown no failures (Daystar Cradles), and EVERYONE else recommends them..." All opinions.

Rather than using superlatives like "suboptimal," and "everyone," let's see some facts to support what I said about MY experience with Daystar Cradles for airbags. For just ONE example of Daystar Cradle failure, go to the Expedition Portal and type in search: "Long-Term Feedback request: Daystar Airbag Cradles.

Now (not trying to be like LowSky and IRSmart), I grant them that THEY may not have ever had a Daystar Cradle crack in the field - off-road. Also, I don't know how hard they wheel their PW's. I drive mine on really hard trails - all the time; practically every week. Further, the concept of an airbag cradle is genius! Just did not work for me, so I steered clear of them with my PW. I lift tires off the ground in my PW all the time in the rocks (photos to prove it). My low-PSI Hellwig Airbags with large volume barely restrict my rear axle articulation and are not affected by tires off the ground - even with the FWC on the back. I've yet to have a bag failure, but like other mods I have on the truck, I do carry an extra airbag with me when in the field.

I thought forums were a place that enjoyed the exchange of ideas. But like other forums also, there are members that either through ego or chest pounding, want to shut down dialogue prior to exploring all the facts and options. Readers: Filter the advice given on forums carefully. Do your own research - it's not hard. Ask questions of a writer rather than trying to push your own opinions/agenda. If something works for you say why and how. If you believe something else is better, don't admonish the person that went in another direction.

I'm not finished with my PW. It will never be "finished." I may still go with a Carli or Thuren aftermarket suspension at some point. Hell, I may even try other airbags and even Daystar Cradles in my PW. Point is, LowSky and IRSmart did not even take the time to ask why I added the load carrying mods that I did. FYI... it was a dialogue from a FCA marketing friend (Scott Brown). We wanted to know how LITTLE we needed to modify the PW to get it to wheel off-road successfully and carry a camper. Well LowSky and IRSmart... it wheels GREAT on the really hard trails we have here in the Southwest mountains and deserts.

Last edited:

BobWohlers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also... FYI for readers: Google Firestone Issues Warning on Use of Daystar Cradles. Firestone advises against their use.

I realize that many here recommend/advocate the better Air Lift "Load Lifter 5000" bags and not the Firestone, but the link shows what Firestone thinks of Daystar Cradles. Of course this is "lawyer speak," but it's an acknowledgement of possible problems with their bags and the Daystar Cradles. For me, I'm going to order a set of the Load Lifter 5000's and try them out on my PW. I don't like commenting on a product I've never tried.

Last edited:

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Looks like sensitive sally had a nerve struck. I don’t recall trying to shut anyone down. In fact, I did the exact opposite and asked a question.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Well that was interesting lol. Y’all need Jesus :anitoof::anitoof::anitoof::anitoof::anitoof::popcorn:

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Says he never had the tires of the ground... the goes on to brag about lifting tires of ground..... 8af79dcf1c5d1cad0924f463849749f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, if the combo works for you then what the hell right. Especially if the engineer told you it was the bomb setup.

I bet if you put thurens overland kit on there with a set of airlifts and daystars you would seriously be super impressed.
Especially if you used thurens rear track bar setup too.

Meister

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Sounds boring, I try to do three wheels on the ground all the time....not sure your using your PW to its abilities

BobWohlers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, you did ask a question... However, (truth) you asked VERY poorly phrased questions IRSmart (my opinion and several others I've shared this thread with). Your posts were ALL character challenging; "read: tall tail alert" - then you get to a question. No nerve stuck here, really don't care at all about you. Don't know you, but would like to. I stopped replying directly to you, but to those that may read YOUR posts. It is interesting that you've not responded to "how" I got my PW up to 120 mph (which I did) or that others have had similar problems with the Daystar Cradles; again you simply went negative, and I quote: "Looks like sensitive sally had a nerve struck." Now, I believe we have more in common that not... so cut out the direct character challenges. We both like PW's. I'm guessing you are an off-roader, so there's something in common. Differences... how we both modified our PW's to make them perform that way WE wanted. There are different ways to skin a cat. Perhaps you've tried Hellwig Big Wig Airbags; perhaps not. They do NOT react like Firestones and Air Lift bags; in my experience they allow LOTS more rear axle articulation than other airbags without the Daystar Cradles. Hellwig airbags are very different. I've owned Air Lift airbags and I like them; just NOT the Daystar Cradles for off-roading. I did not care for the high PSI I had to run in the Air Lifts to get my past trucks to perform as I wanted; even with suspension mods.

This whole experience with IRSmart and Low_Sky is why I don't post very much on forums. Too many egos and and lots of chest pounding. Go back and read how I responded with questions to Low_Sky when he completely dismissed how I set up my PW. I wanted his thoughts. Then he gave them and I realized I had a completely different experience with equipment he'd probably not tried and what he was saying was an OPINION. He stated his opinion as GOSPEL, which it was NOT.

Last edited:

BobWohlers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Meister... I'm cross-axle ALL THE TIME. Sometimes I'm on three or two wheels, sometime not. Ask anyone... Nothing I do is BORING. Plus, picking a good line off-road is all about NOT lifting wheels.

Regarding "never" lifting a tire off the ground, I really needed to say "rarely." What I was trying to explain is that my Hellwig airbags allow my rear to articulate pretty well without Daystar Cradles.

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think there is a lot of curt tone responses on the forum. Everyone should stop being so cunty and enjoy the sharing of ideas.

People forgot its an amazing thing we can even share our ideas with eachother on the internet. 20 years ago you couldn't share thoughts like we do now. Lowsky and IRsmart are like 4000 miles apart. Just think about that.

And Bob. Love your set up. Camper looks like a ton of fun. Idc what airbag setup you have. As in it doesnt effect me. If it works for you sweet. Thanks for sharing your experience. Looking at getting airbags myself to help when i tow. Not considering the cradles btw.

Bock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
[QUOTE="BobWohlers[/QUOTE]

Bob, I want to confirm that the Hellwig Big Wig air bags part #6214, fits your 2018 PW.

Thanks

BobWohlers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bock... Yes, I got Hellwig's part #6214 airbags AND their chromoly HD Rear Sway Bar (#7738). I also have installed Hellwig's auto-level system connected to my Extreme Outback Products IP68 rated dual compressors and 2.5 gallon air tank. The auto-level system keeps each bag completely full and the vehicle level. The auto system rarely comes on. At present, this is all the suspension modification I've done to my PW to hold my FW Camper and make it off-road capable. Now, as I've not had a chance to explain in this thread to this point, I may continue to modify my PW's suspension in future. Initially, I wanted to do as little as necessary to the PW to support the Camper and wheel off-road to my requirements and likes (which is different than others). Thanks for asking. Cheers.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It is interesting that you've not responded to "how" I got my PW up to 120 mph (which I did)
Because I don’t believe you. These trucks are limited to 98 mph, then give up, and I don’t believe that you coasted another 22 mph just by going down a grade. That’s not only obviously illegal, but wildly irresponsible for a vehicle with that amount of weight on it, and highly improbable because you would no longer have any throttle assistance to get to those speeds. But I didn’t feel like getting into an argument over what I thought was a lie, so I left it alone. You wanted to know why I didn’t address it. It had nothing to do with not having a comeback. I thought you were a liar, but didn’t feel that addressing that aspect of the post was relevant.

No nerve stuck here, really don't care at all about you.
I sincerely doubt that as well. No one asked you to dig up a 5 year old thread to plug your website. You did that all on your own. And as soon as people challenged your position, you become incredibly defensive and have a “holier than thou” attitude of “this is why I don’t come around forums anymore” because you get butthurt too easily and get offended when people challenge your views. I don’t believe that you don’t care what we think, your multi-post, war and peace replies suggest otherwise.