Problem after installing starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What starter and where did you get it if you don't mind?

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I hate to say this but cheap starters do not have a good reputation in my experience.
I’ve been burned too many times.

OP
OP
K

kyledriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
do you suggest i go buy one from the dealer? i did this all at like 7:30 at night, autozone was my only option. I probably should’ve just waited for a reputable place to open.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I recently replaced my starter, too.
I used a Delco one, got their top of the line with warranty.

Removing that 5-bolt steel bracket was a ******...

I then basted the trigger wire connection and the copper braided line in dielectric grease as well.

With my new H8 Odyssey AGM battery and this starter, my truck has never stared so quickly and efficiently.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
The shing noise is the starter gear not disengaging fast enough. I would suggest you get an OEM, take the other one back to Autozone. It will either die soon or mess up the gears on the flywheel, which is a much bigger fix.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
sounds like it is staying engaged to long i would get OEM starter like Dean2 said starter gear is staying engaged to long and it will probably take out flywheel ring gear ! much bigger fix money and time!

Mike Wenrich

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2004.5, 2023 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.9 Diesel, 6.4 Hemi
Long time ago when I was driving Chebbies that noise after a starter replacement was due to misalignment of the starter. You usually got shims with the starter to adjust it. I don't know if that is the issue but you might ask the parts store if others have had the problem and if it was solved with shims. Might just be a bad starter as stated by others here...especially if it's a rebuilt rather than new.

Bob1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Of the Big Three, it used to be that the "Pillow Block" mount was peculiar to GM. It made them a bit more difficult to install laying on your back in the mud. Not sure if Mopar ever followed that ill-thought out path.