Problem with Parasitic Draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram Jon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had my 2012 Ram 1500 Express 4x4 Crew cab for almost 5 years. It has been a great truck. Recently I have had it parked for days at a time and the battery would end up dead. The battery is an EverStart from Walmart that is only 6-8 months old. I took it back and they charged it and tested it and said it was good (I also took it to O'Reillys to verify this) Anyway, after the truck had gone to "sleep", we tested the Amp draw and it would cycle from 0.238 to 1.090 Amps and then back down to 0.238. This is still too high. I have read that 0.044 is the Amp draw the Ram dealer said was normal. We pulled fuses for the radio, TPMS, and instrument cluster. It ended up being the M20 fuse for the "Instrument Cluster Interior Lighting / Sw Steering Wheel/ Sw Bank". When we pulled this fuse it ended up staying in the 0.010 range constantly.
I found a video of a guy changing out the cluster on a 2012 and the dome lights turned off when he unplugged the cluster, so the dome lights are controlled thru the cluster. When we pulled this fuse, the dome lights quit when I opened the door.
So after several hours of testing, my question is...
Has anyone experienced a similar problem and replaced the cluster? Did it help?
I am finding used clusters (out of wrecked trucks) for less than $200 on Ebay and new ones for $400-500 ,but will have to have them set up by the dealer or "cloned" by some technician to my mileage.

IndyDon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would check your door switches first. Another reason for the draw from the cluster, is if you have remote locks. Your keyfob when close activates your cluster to light up. At least mine does.

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ever figure this out?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member