Problems after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Last week I finally installed a 6" zone lift, and I am having a loud "wubba wubba" coming from the front driver's side. With the lift I replaced the UCA's, LCA's, CV axles, 5100 Bilsteins at 2.1, and I also threw on new brake pads. I put Michelin 35's on the factory wheels with 1.5 inch hubcentric spacers, and got the new tires balanced with good alignment specs. The noise sounds to me exactly like a bad wheel bearing, and so I replaced the wheel hub assembly, still have the noise. The noise is loudest at 30-40 MPH and I can feel the vibrations in the steering wheel and acceleration pedal. I rechecked the torque on everything, no problems there. Just wondering if anyone has an idea as to what might be going on here or where to start. The truck rode perfect before it was lifted.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Last week I finally installed a 6" zone lift, and I am having a loud "wubba wubba" coming from the front driver's side. With the lift I replaced the UCA's, LCA's, CV axles, 5100 Bilsteins at 2.1, and I also threw on new brake pads. I put Michelin 35's on the factory wheels with 1.5 inch hubcentric spacers, and got the new tires balanced with good alignment specs. The noise sounds to me exactly like a bad wheel bearing, and so I replaced the wheel hub assembly, still have the noise. The noise is loudest at 30-40 MPH and I can feel the vibrations in the steering wheel and acceleration pedal. I rechecked the torque on everything, no problems there. Just wondering if anyone has an idea as to what might be going on here or where to start. The truck rode perfect before it was lifted.
What brand wheel spacers?
Did you trim the studs down when you put the spacers on?

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Supreme suspension 1.5", no I did not trim as the studs look flush.

they look flush but they stick out a tiny bit. I know the factory wheels have indents that clears them but that it where my hunt would begin. I would start by taking that wheel spacer and moving it to another wheel. Make sure you’re getting a perfect flush fit. We normally torque spacers to 140lb and the wheels to 130lbs. But after strange issues like your having we now only use Bora spacers at our shop

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You didn't leave the preload spacer in did you? They ship that did mine did not only was there noises but also angles were HORRIBLE.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Did you just do pads or did you do pads and rotors when you did your brakes

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does the noise ever stop or do you hear it all the time? As stated, pics are helpful.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take the truck back to the shop that did the install and let them figure it out. You had a lot of things changed at once so it could be anything.

OP
OP
Postman2015

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
they look flush but they stick out a tiny bit. I know the factory wheels have indents that clears them but that it where my hunt would begin. I would start by taking that wheel spacer and moving it to another wheel. Make sure you’re getting a perfect flush fit. We normally torque spacers to 140lb and the wheels to 130lbs. But after strange issues like your having we now only use Bora spacers at our shop

This is why I started this thread, because that is really good insight. I am going to try just removing the spacers and seeing if it has any effect, if I need to trim the studs I have no problem doing so.

Did you just do pads or did you do pads and rotors when you did your brakes

Just pads. Rotors had no visible wear and no noise/problems just before the lift.
I've considered new rotors, might be worth pulling them off and checking to see if they're warped/worn.

I'll post some pictures in a bit.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
This is why I started this thread, because that is really good insight. I am going to try just removing the spacers and seeing if it has any effect, if I need to trim the studs I have no problem doing so.

Just pads. Rotors had no visible wear and no noise/problems just before the lift.
I've considered new rotors, might be worth pulling them off and checking to see if they're warped/worn.

I'll post some pictures in a bit.

The old pads were worn to the rotor so the new pads could definitely make an odd sound. Also since you have a 13 the old brake fluid in there could have damaged the caliper. I'm one of the only weirdos that replaces brake fluid every 2 years

OP
OP
Postman2015

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Take the truck back to the shop that did the install and let them figure it out. You had a lot of things changed at once so it could be anything.
You didn't leave the preload spacer in did you? They ship that did mine did not only was there noises but also angles were HORRIBLE.

I did all of the work myself, so I am to blame on this one. Wife already said I told you so. I'm hoping that this picture is the preload spacer you speak of, because I did leave those out due to the bilsteins.
Capture.PNG

OP
OP
Postman2015

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The old pads were worn to the rotor so the new pads could definitely make an odd sound. Also since you have a 13 the old brake fluid in there could have damaged the caliper. I'm one of the only weirdos that replaces brake fluid every 2 years

That's possible. However, noise is always present, not only during braking. I've considered that it might be a stuck caliper but the pins slide freely and the truck doesn't pull to the side.
Brake fluid should probably be checked, and it might be the rotors. Now that I think about it, on my commute this morning I had to slam on the brakes as I was doing about 65 MPH and a 50 lb raccoon jumped onto the road. It's hard to remember how responsive the brakes were before I changed them, but I felt like normally I could've slowed down in the distance I had to hitting him. Anyways he didn't have a chance, probably a good idea for fluid/rotors.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did all of the work myself, so I am to blame on this one. Wife already said I told you so. I'm hoping that this picture is the preload spacer you speak of, because I did leave those out due to the bilsteins.
View attachment 225127
Yep good call can't stack with maxed bils. Wish I knew your issue

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Noise is constant, start to hear it at 10 MPH, loudest at 35-40 MPH. Turns/ braking have no noticeable effect. I'll get some pics up tonight.

A lot of variables changed. But the basics can't be overlooked such as the caliper not releasing all the way (enough to not drag), the new wheel bearing being defective, etc.
I would like to see pictures of this 50lb raccoon LOL

I have a 2012 and my calipers started acting up last year some days it would drag other days it was fine etc. You did the lift yourself so you know its done right. Don't second guess yourself. And finally yes that is the preload spacer you properly left out. the shop that did @Ohio5pt7 added that with the bilsteins and apparently they did not do their research before modifying a nice truck.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
A lot of variables changed. But the basics can't be overlooked such as the caliper not releasing all the way (enough to not drag), the new wheel bearing being defective, etc.

I have a 2012 and my calipers started acting up last year some days it would drag other days it was fine etc. You did the lift yourself so you know its done right. Don't second guess yourself. And finally yes that is the preload spacer you properly left out. the shop that did @Ohio5pt7 added that with the bilsteins and apparently they did not do their research before modifying a nice truck.
That they did not. Crap shop wish I would have spent the extra somewhere else as I ended up with $1200 in repairs.

OP
OP
Postman2015

Postman2015

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

Man he was huge. Without the lift he would've definitely taken with him the air dam.
Thanks for your help here, a lot of good info and I really do appreciate it. At least this might give me an excuse to get some powder coated calipers.
I would've gone for the bora's but their website said they were experiencing considerable delays, and I read elsewhere that supreme was potentially a viable alternative.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
That they did not. Crap shop wish I would have spent the extra somewhere else as I ended up with $1200 in repairs.

I had a similar shop do mine as I didnt want-(feel like) to do the install without a lift. That made me open a suspension shop dedicated to proper installations and doing wheels and tires. So along side of my home automation company we do wheels tires and suspensions in our 6,000 sqft shop with 3 bays and 2 lifts.

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Man he was huge. Without the lift he would've definitely taken with him the air dam.
Thanks for your help here, a lot of good info and I really do appreciate it. At least this might give me an excuse to get some powder coated calipers.
I would've gone for the bora's but their website said they were experiencing considerable delays, and I read elsewhere that supreme was potentially a viable alternative.

Yeah Bora is an order and they'll make it company IMO they are worth the wait. I cannot say anything bad about the supreme spacers though, a lot of guys on here run them. @Nick@GotExhaust can set you up with almost any parts you need at a forum discount so that would be my first stop

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn