Problems with 2012 Ram 1500 transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
You know what the solution is?

Offer a manual tranny :p

lol

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im having issues with my 12 also but I think its all the computer. It feels like it just doesnt know when to shift or what gear it should be in. Also it has randomly upshifted under light throttle 3 times on me now.

Vray

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 5.7
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am having problems as well. 8k miles on 5.7 hemi 6 speed. Not like yours but my truck makes a thud that you can hear and feel when shifting between 30 and 45 miles per hour. I took in back to the dealer and they recognized that it is happening but said dodge says "normal". I think it is either the 4th or 5th gear shift. It does not happen when I am on the throttle but just driving in town. Anyone else have this problem?

BigSexyBlue05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 dodge ram quad express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problems here with my '12. I had a 2004 Nissan Titan with 120,000 miles on it. Not one problem except for brakes. Traded her in for my ram. Happy of course. Hope she last as long as my Titan. But I brought the extended warranty just in case.

Tim

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having the same "thud" with my 2012 Longhorn. Took it to the dealership and they told me they didn't feel it. I'm going to hound them now!

Edmund - can you give us an update on your situation, please?

-Tim

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
No trans issues with mine and I am the first year of the 4th gen. I have over 55000 miles on mine now and about half have been towing various things. I wish you all well. I don't see why one issue would cause you to leave Dodge even if it is reoccurring it is still one issue. Give them a chance to make it right by getting a person involved through the website they do care and will help most of the time. Personally they have helped me every time.

Texasez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I've got 1600 on my 12. No bumping or knocking so far.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
2500 Miles and Going Strong

Just passed 2,500 on my 2012 Sport 5.7L with no issues.

I have noticed the trans is slow to down shift in stop and go traffic and I sometimes get a rough shift as I come to a stop, in stop and go. No thump, and really not extreme by any stretch.

My 2003 4.7L with four speed had a similar rough down shift in traffic (a distaste for going slow?) and it was still going strong at 140K when I traded it in.

I'm taking a nine hour each way road trip this holiday weekend and I'll certainly let everyone know if I get "Thumped".:driver:

chadandhisram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '12 has almost 500 miles, the only issue I have is a "jump" when changing gears from park to reverse or drive. My wife's '12 GC(hemi) did it horribly when it was new so maybe it's normal. Also when I drive hard, redline that bad boy, it shifts and practically pauses and feels like it is gonna take a poop. Not that I floor it a lot, especially with low miles but once I was in bind and the second time I wanted to duplicate what I felt the tranny do.

Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Mustang GT
Engine
No problems here, 2012 with the Hemi at around 3400km on the clock

Dirtrula

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought my '12 from Larry H Miller also. I have had no problems with mine.

The dealer has 4 attempts to fix the problem or your truck has to be out of commission for 30 calander days. If your at this point you need to see if you can qualify for the lemon law. It doesn't seem right that Larry Miller can't manage to fix your problem.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Back from the road trip including post turkey day stop and go on the return. Did not notice any thumping. Did notice a rough downshift on acceleration a couple of times, but that has been my previous experience with Dodge transmissions not downshifting while coasting/decelerating.
I'm over 3500 miles now and don't feel anything out of the ordinary.

ramtruckdriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, another issue with the rear spring suspension, is axle wind up, thats when the brakes are applied and lighty released, it winds axle and makes a thump noise, more common in reverse while backing up into garage, I can tell you a stealership story, a/c leaked, a valve replaced( not with air tools)lol, a month later evap blew up in truck, green dye all over the floor, had to fight for new carpet, told its common if cold air installed or sparkplugs replaced( just a heads up) now I got to go back and figure out why now after repairs my new truck has an old noisy muddied blower motor uuugh, luv the truck hate the service from dealer

solo12gauge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 12 Ram 1500 5.7 with 4,900 miles also has a thump when stopping but not all the time. I notice it about 2 to 3 seconds after being fully stopped. Took it to the dealer and of course it wouldn't do it then. The head trans guy said it might be the trans shifting down into first after being stopped. I figure maybe the computer doesn't let the tranny shift all the way down in case you aren't staying stopped for a while to prevent giving it gas in mid shift but what do I know. Other than that there are no problems with it that I have noticed.

trucker42

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Transmission Problem

having that same problem today, ive never seen anything like it, i'm so upset, 1985 miles on it, 68 hours on the engine, wow, we'll see what Larry Miller says

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Transmission issues just plain blow.
I'm at 5.5k miles on my 12. I notice stop and go traffic is when I occassionally get thumped. I'm only speculating, but I think the computer is hard wired to try and squeeze economy out of the Hemi. As a result both up and downshifts in traffic are a little wierd, but I haven't experienced anything another vehicle hasn't done to me before and certainly nothing bordering on going nuclear with the lemon law hammer.

dtru1222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 12 Ram 1500 5.7 with 4,900 miles also has a thump when stopping but not all the time. I notice it about 2 to 3 seconds after being fully stopped. Took it to the dealer and of course it wouldn't do it then. The head trans guy said it might be the trans shifting down into first after being stopped. I figure maybe the computer doesn't let the tranny shift all the way down in case you aren't staying stopped for a while to prevent giving it gas in mid shift but what do I know. Other than that there are no problems with it that I have noticed.

I noticed a thump when I came to a stop a few times, the dealership said it was a solenoid fireing. I dont know anything about transmissions so I couldnt argue.

Fatdave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
09 Problems

I bought a used 09 Laramie from a private owner with 31k 2 years ago, over the coarse of a year i had developed a squeal(similar to a belt or pully squeal) it would come and go .....well with 45K on it it turns out to be the front pump and torque converter needless to say $2500.00 later its fixed and now bullet proof.

PED

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't had any thumping noises emanating from the transmission, nor have I had any overall failures, as described in this thread.

what I have had from the beginning is an issue getting the transmission to go into reverse. Sometimes, seemingly when I am stuck out in traffic and need to have the vehicle shift smartly into reverse, it does nothing. Then I am forced to put it into park, or back into D and then on the second try it does go into reverse. Odd. I have had this issue since day one on my 2012 Laramie