Proper tire pressure duratrac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Punisher123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys just had new duratrac tires put on

I checked the pressure they were set to 39 psi same as the door

My question is that enough or should it be more or less. All highway driving FYI

Thx

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If they are the factory size then the door pressure should be fine. The best way to determine the correct tire pressure is to chalk test them.
Draw a chalk line across the tires and roll the vehicle straight and check where the chalk is wearing off. If the center disappears first lower the pressure, if the sides you want to add pressure.
Some situations you adjust the pressure for comfort and the rely on tire rotation(front to rear and side to side) to keep the tire wear even.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If they are the factory size then the door pressure should be fine. The best way to determine the correct tire pressure is to chalk test them.
Draw a chalk line across the tires and roll the vehicle straight and check where the chalk is wearing off. If the center disappears first lower the pressure, if the sides you want to add pressure.
Some situations you adjust the pressure for comfort and the rely on tire rotation(front to rear and side to side) to keep the tire wear even.
I am open to correction if I am wrong, but this wouldn't apply if they are a LT tire though, would it? I believe if it's a LT tire you may have to put more pressure in to retain the same or better load rating.

I seem to recall this to be the case, but if I am wrong... blame it on age and failing memory [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I am open to correction if I am wrong, but this wouldn't apply if they are a LT tire though, would it? I believe if it's a LT tire you may have to put more pressure in to retain the same or better load rating.
As with all tires, the load rating is based how much air is in the tires. The sidewall of the tire will state max load rating at the maximum cold inflation pressure.
On my truck the door pressure is 43 psi but the sidewall since they are Load E (factory tires) have a maximum inflation pressure of 80 psi. No way would I ever need or want to run that much pressure but I will bump the rears up to 50 psi while towing or hauling heavy. I do run 39 psi in the rears when not towing/hauling for a softer ride, so far tire wear is even and the tires are regularly rotated.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I got GY ultraterrain (similar to Duratracs) on my 1500 and they are at at 39 psi as well. I don't tow, 50/50 hwi/city.