Puddle Lights, How Do They Work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Okay, I have a '12 RAM 3500 diesel dually with the fold out tow mirrors. I'm just sent a text to the original owner to verify that the tow mirrors are in fact the O.E.M. installed mirrors.

Let's assume they are for now, how do they operate? Do they have to be turned on in a setup someplace, or do they just work when the doors are open, or what?

Can't find anything in the instrument cluster setup that deals with the puddle lights. I can find the tip down mirror in reverse option setup, but still nothing about the puddle lights.

I can't believe that a '12 3500 CC dually would not come with fold out mirrors from the factory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great afternoon.

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As long as your dash dimmer switch is not in the off position, they should work when you unlock the doors with your key fob. They are very well known for leaking and causing the lights to quit working over time... I would almost bet they just are no longer functioning. They can be replaced easily. Tons of how-to videos are posted on YouTube.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Okay, I have a '12 RAM 3500 diesel dually with the fold out tow mirrors. I'm just sent a text to the original owner to verify that the tow mirrors are in fact the O.E.M. installed mirrors.

Let's assume they are for now, how do they operate? Do they have to be turned on in a setup someplace, or do they just work when the doors are open, or what?

Can't find anything in the instrument cluster setup that deals with the puddle lights. I can find the tip down mirror in reverse option setup, but still nothing about the puddle lights.

I can't believe that a '12 3500 CC dually would not come with fold out mirrors from the factory.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and have a great afternoon.
In your user settings, it’ll be illumination on approach. When this is set, the headlights, puddle lights, and tails will light up when you unlock the truck.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
D
In your user settings, it’ll be illumination on approach. When this is set, the headlights, puddle lights, and tails will light up when you unlock the truck.

Does a '12 even have a radio with that setting in it????

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Honestly I haven't found many vehicle settings on the radio setup screens. Most of everything I've found has been in the instrument cluster center scroll through settings. But now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll give it another try.

Thanks and I'll also check out the puddle lights themselves. I'll pull them and get 12v to them and see if they work to begin with.

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I've confirmed that the power unlock turns on the headlights and interior lights as suggested.

But still no puddle lights. They are the older white ones like in the video.

I'll pull them out this weekend and add 12v to them using the larger terminal as the ground, again per the video of the Motor City Mechanic. I'll also put my volt meter on the two terminals and check for 12v when I use the power unlock button.

Let you all know what happens.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've confirmed that the power unlock turns on the headlights and interior lights as suggested.

I'll pull them out this weekend and add 12v to them using the larger terminal as the ground, again per the video of the Motor City Mechanic. I'll also put my volt meter on the two terminals and check for 12v when I use the power unlock button.

Have you confirmed that your truck came originally equipped with mirrors with puddle lamps? You can enter your VIN here- https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Look to see if it has “exterior mirrors courtesy lamps” for one of the line items. If it does, there *should* be power getting to them. If not, the PO may or may not have had them activated by the dealer.

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Jimmy, thanks.

It has LOTS of mirror options and one of them is "Exterior Mirrors Courtesy Lamps".

So from this, I would think my truck should have the puddle lights that work. I'll tear them down in a bit and check out that power is coming to them when I use the remote to do an unlock the door etc.

Thanks again, Dan

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just a thought, my puddle lights DO NOT come on when the mirrors are folded in. I don't use the auto function, but I do move them in when I park in the garage, and they don't come in that position.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just a thought, my puddle lights DO NOT come on when the mirrors are folded in. I don't use the auto function, but I do move them in when I park in the garage, and they don't come in that position.
They come on, or at least they’re supposed to (mine do), when folded in. Sounds like there’s an issue with yours?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting, I will have to check the manual, and see if there is anything in the settings about that. It doesn't bother me that they don't come on when folded in, since I only fold them in while in the garage.

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Currently mine are in the two mode flipped up and no puddle lights. I also have no puddle when they're down.

I went through all my dash cluster options and other than the mirror tipping back in reverse, I have no other options for mirrors. I scrolled through the radio as well, and nothing related to the truck in the menus etc.

At least from the build sheet info, they were factory installed on my truck. I still haven't taken the lights out to check for power. I'll do that this weekend.

Thanks.

Romanclan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Flex
I bought an after market tow mirrors for 2017 Ram 1500 SLT and activated the turn signal and the tow mirrors rotation with the alpha app but for some reason I can not activate the puddle lights (approach light) and the defrost on the mirrors. Can someone direct me how to go about it with the alpha app?

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
After connecting to the truck with Alfa, navigate to the Body Control Computer.

Next, scroll down to Doors (most of the way down); under the Door functions you should find approach lighting.

I’ll check the menus regarding heated mirrors, but I think they were in that same section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Just a quick note, not sure if it pertains to you or not but if you have your cluster lights turned down/off your approach/puddle lights will not work. We had this happen to a guy about a year ago and it took us forever to figure out what was going on. I know most people don't have their cluster lights off but thought I should mention it just in case.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juanita Kelley