Purpose of 4WD auto if you have to use gas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm reading in several threads that to make 4WD auto work, you have to press on the gas to bring traction to the front tires. so does this make it completely useless in slippery winter conditions?

if I'm driving slowly on an icy road... in 4WD auto... and i have to press on the GAS to activate the front tires... you don't add MORE speed to slippery conditions!

so if I'm hearing this right, if I'm slipping in 4WD auto.. and i don't press the gas, I'm still actually only using 2 back wheels, right? useless.

makes no sense.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine works ok when it gets nasty enough to warrant it's use around here. Is it as good as something with all time AWD, hell no, but it will keep my truck from facing the other way (I've tried to see if it actually works). That being said the stock SRA's that came on my ram were a joke for anything other than a perfect fair weather day. Upgrading the rubber made a huge difference even in 4Auto.

mboymopar

MOPAR
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Sport
Engine
345 HEMI
On a icy road I Prefer 2WD, couple " of snow is when I will use any 4wd
Just my thoughts.

tourrider

Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
its going to be an interesting first winter with this truck

Find a snow cover parking lot and go play. When I say feather, I mean just a little blip. or slight let up without greatly affecting tire speed. Try not to break what traction you might already have. I've been driving 4x4 for 45 years, and I do miss my floor mounted transfer case shift levelers. You could really get the feel for the gear mesh up with manual shift transfer.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You're way over thinking it.... I use mine a lot during the winter. If I start to lose traction in the rear the fronts will kick to help with traction. It's not like you have to really drive any different then normal, other then a little slower maybe, then usual. That's what works for me.

slam 425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 e-torque
I always leave mine in 4wd/auto...I figure if I start losing traction for any reason rain / sand / oily patch or snow I'm good to go. I've never noticed and tire slippage except for snow and slush and I'm still running the factory good years.
Can I being doing any damage to anything in the drive train or causing premature wear?

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
4wd auto lets the truck run in 2wd untill a rear tires looses traction and then it will engage 4wd for you.

..but I've read elsewhere that it only activates the front wheels when you hit the gas

You're way over thinking it.... I use mine a lot during the winter. If I start to lose traction in the rear the fronts will kick to help with traction. It's not like you have to really drive any different then normal, other then a little slower maybe, then usual. That's what works for me.

Yes. you said it best. I'm way over thinking it. i mean i know how to drive. i just don't want to figure it out while I'm spinning on the highway, going 45 mph, and headed for a tree.

I always leave mine in 4wd/auto...I figure if I start losing traction for any reason rain / sand / oily patch or snow I'm good to go. I've never noticed and tire slippage except for snow and slush and I'm still running the factory good years.
Can I being doing any damage to anything in the drive train or causing premature wear?

..ive read elsewhere that the RAM 1500 wasn't designed to be constantly driven with 4WD auto on (?)

OP
OP
af2018

af2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Find a snow cover parking lot and go play. When I say feather, I mean just a little blip. or slight let up without greatly affecting tire speed.

So.. is it on a timer? like when you hit the gas the 4WD comes on for 10 seconds? or its literally ONLY on when you have the gas pressed?

i need a horse and carriage o_O

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
When in 4wd auto the truck will drive like a 2wd untill the back tires lose traction and then the front tires will kick in to aid with traction.
All this will happen while you are driving and while you are driving you are giving it gas.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wait till it snows---go to a empty Walmart parking lot and learn how to drive your truck in the snow. You can read this **** all night but till you actually do it your not going to have any idea what we are saying.
Jay

jljbtm

Reaction score
I believe if you are in any 4wd mode you will not have ABS. so i will drive 2wd always unless i NEED 4wd

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe if you are in any 4wd mode you will not have ABS. so i will drive 2wd always unless i NEED 4wd

ABS is not turned off in 4WD
You can turn off the traction control and vehicle stability control (which turns back on at 40mph wheel speed).

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just used mine tonight.. To me it almost seems like it's not working. Rear end drifted plenty while not feeling like the front was pulling.

Not sure if there is any other way to troubleshoot it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Barney556180

Don't need no stinkin' mask...
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Here’s what my 2017 1500 manual says for the Five-Position Electronically Shifted Transfer Case (Eight Speed Transmission Only)

4WD AUTO
Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range — This range sends power to the front wheels. The four–wheel drive system will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction. Additional traction for varying road conditions.

This electronically shifted transfer case is designed to be driven in the two–wheel drive position (2WD) or four- wheel drive position (4WD AUTO) for normal street and highway conditions on dry hard surfaced roads). Driving the vehicle in 2WD will have greater fuel economy benefits as the front axle is not engaged in 2WD.

For variable driving conditions, the 4WD AUTO mode can be used. In this mode, the front axle is engaged, but the vehicle’s power is sent to the rear wheels. Four-wheel drive will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction. Because the front axle is engaged, this mode will result in lower fuel economy than the 2WD mode.

Other than lower MPG, looks like 4WD Auto can be used whenever road conditions might not be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just used mine tonight.. To me it almost seems like it's not working. Rear end drifted plenty while not feeling like the front was pulling.

Not sure if there is any other way to troubleshoot it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mine was alot lazier until I changed the fluid. Putting RL C+ in it it seems to work a bit better and its does 4 Low shifts a bit quicker with less noise.