Quad cab rear door won't open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
1998 Ram 1500 Quadcab Sport Manual Transmission

Awhile back a seat belt got stuck in the door as it closed. In order to get it open I had to hold open the top latch and kick it open. I couldn't get to the bottom latch. Once I got it open I didn't realize that I busted something internally. Now I can't get it open. Any suggestions? I really have no idea because I can't get to the bottom latch.

Also as long as I have had this truck there has been a slow oil leak from where the transmission and engine join. It isn't losing transmission fluid it it does go through engine oil. What in the back would be leaking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So my first question is when you kicked the bottom open were you holding the door handle to make sure that the cable pulling the latch open was in the open position? I ask because it could be something as simple as when you kicked it you may have knocked the cable/wire loose from the bottom latch inside the door. If you were able to pop that trim off or just lose you might be able to see if it's still connected.

Second.. Have you ever done the Plenum Gasket replacement on your truck? If not it wouldn't hurt to do it. Regardless of that answer try reaching behind your intake manifold back where your distributor is and feel around to see if you have oil building up back there. That was where mine leaked for a little while before I replaced my plenum plate and gasket. That will drip down the back side of your engine and down your oil pan. Also whens the last time you dropped your oil pan? It's also Possible that your pan's gasket is leaking now.

Hopefully some of these will point you in the right direction.

OP
OP
N

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
It seems to have a few leaks. The worst of which seems to be from the bell housing. I will pop the trim off and take a look if I can see the cable or not. Hopefully it is something simple like that. I really appreciate the feedback.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
The fastest way to tell is to unbolt the handle from the door jamb itself. The handle you'd use to open it from the outside. That will allow you to see two rods, one going to the top latch and another to the bottom latch.

The top latch is usually fine, but i've gotten a lot of bottoms unstuck across all makes of truck. First get a pair of visegrips or needle nose pliers and try gently pulling up on the lower rod after unlatching the upper, then while pulling try opening the door. Last fall my passenger side rear door was so stuck I had to put a block of wood against the door and beat it for 5 minutes with a sledge and a quarter can of PB blaster to get it open.

OP
OP
N

Neo299

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
The fastest way to tell is to unbolt the handle from the door jamb itself. The handle you'd use to open it from the outside. That will allow you to see two rods, one going to the top latch and another to the bottom latch.

The top latch is usually fine, but i've gotten a lot of bottoms unstuck across all makes of truck. First get a pair of visegrips or needle nose pliers and try gently pulling up on the lower rod after unlatching the upper, then while pulling try opening the door. Last fall my passenger side rear door was so stuck I had to put a block of wood against the door and beat it for 5 minutes with a sledge and a quarter can of PB blaster to get it open.

Thanks that really helps. I will probably have would o go get the Torx bit I need but I will definitely have to do that.