question about the Vararam Air Grabber

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigOrangeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it seems, based on appearance, that the air grabber doesn't have much of an area to grab air from. the weatherstrip seal around the top must come in contact with the underhood liner right? if so, that creates a seal around the edge, seemingly starving the intake of more air, no? and it doesnt seem to have much of a "ram air" type of setup as the from is open but gets cut off when you close the hood... I could see the benefits if you have a working cowl on the hood... but with a factory hood, it just doesnt seem to make any sense to me.... just looking for some clarification.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The air enters from the grille and also the crack between the top of the grille and the hood.

The rubber seal is supposed to seal out heat and contain or route cool air into the filter, in theory, lol :)

Attachments

• 1 Engine Bay 5.jpg
    1 Engine Bay 5.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
OP
OP
BigOrangeRam

BigOrangeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
when you install it, do you have to take the top shroud off and keep it off?

sorry for the beginner questions here

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The front wing on the Vararam covers the top few inches of the radiator which is deflecting air directly from the front grille. You then remove or cut the plastic radiator cover to allow that air to go up and into the airbox. It then seals off to the insulated liner under your hood so that it does not suck in any engine heat from the sides.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is up to you, whether you want to leave it off. For install it would come off, though. And some guys put it on, but cut it open to allow air flow...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
You would need to either remove or cut the shroud to allow the air to come through.

OP
OP
BigOrangeRam

BigOrangeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok, that makes much more sense.

most of the pictures I have seen have the shroud back on and it gives the appearance that it would starve for air!

thanks guys!

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You would need to either remove or cut the shroud to allow the air to come through.

I have no desire for a VRAM, but perhaps a couple more questions for other folks benefit.

What do most do with the thermal management shutters and a VRAM? (Seems like colder stats and/or just normal highway operation would mean the shutters would be closed most of the time)

I apologize for not looking closer at my truck before asking, but,,,The 14 I have has a 'plastic diverter' of sorts that redirects air from the sides of the grille area to the center. Is this 'center opening' narrower than the inlet width of the VRAM? If so, is it something one might want to address?

(RAM added these 2 items after the VRAM was tested/developed,,, Unclear what their impact, if any, they may have on the VRAM and/or what folks may be doing to compensate)

TIA.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The shutters open when you get in the throttle, so you are still getting plenty of air when it is needed, and the last 2014 truck I checked had IAT's about 10* above ambient with the shutters closed at highway speeds. That is well within range for an aftermarket intake.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The air enters from the grille and also the crack between the top of the grille and the hood.

The rubber seal is supposed to seal out heat and contain or route cool air into the filter, in theory, lol :)

You have got the best looking engine compartment I have seen, hands down the best.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi

You should add the caption at the bottom Custom DR Design Vararam pictured!! :favorites13:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think of it as a weather system. High pressure at the grill and low pressure at the intake area. The front line is the top radiator. Pure physics. The high pressure is going to race to fill the area of low pressure. That Volatility in nature creates wind. The higher the pressure differential, the greater the wind speed. 1 1/2" × 24" area under pressure can accelerate a lot of air. Minus the big air filter and a straight shot to the intake plenum = less restriction. Hope this helps.

Dubstep Shep

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The shutters open when you get in the throttle, so you are still getting plenty of air when it is needed, and the last 2014 truck I checked had IAT's about 10* above ambient with the shutters closed at highway speeds. That is well within range for an aftermarket intake.

I'm usually around 10-15 over ambient when cruising around at highway speeds.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Yes it does. Give me 5 minutes, and I will edit the description to include the 2015's.

Kjz3Ro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am sooooooooooooo close to hitting the complete order button on one of these babies.. But I have one question first.. What about rain coming in to it, especially on the highway? Is that not a problem?