Question for RFE guys & gals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Hey everyone, long time no talk.

Just a quick question:

What’s the shifting like on everyone’s trucks (with the RFE)? Mine shifts pretty hard sometimes, but mostly it’s just a slight bump on every shift. I don’t have access to another vehicle with an RFE to test it, so i’m just asking. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 65 shifts nice and firm but I'm also running a custom tune.

When its fully warmed up it does a kind of "clunk" into 4th under certain conditions. But it's been doing that since it was new and it's got 71k on it now.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'd say same as @Hemi395, though I have 66RFE in a 2017 HD truck.

It's smoother since I changed trans oil and filters @ 36k miles......used Mopar ATF+4, an API Group III base oil.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine is a stock 2015 5.7/RFE 40k miles with 3.55 gears, 285/70r17 tires and I corrected the speedometer/tire size with Jscan.

Shift are just a tiny bump barely noticeable under normal driving. On heavy throttle they are slightly more firm but not jarring. No complaints about shift quality.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have no complaints with mine. Since I got the Hemifever tune he activated 3rd gear for me which isn't a huge difference but it helped with there being such a big RPM change between 2nd and 4th. Most don't like the 6 speed and not that I wouldn't rather have 8 speeds but I like firm shifts anyway.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently had the 545RFE in my truck serviced. I was expecting there to be no difference in the way the transmission performed. So what I'm about to say is not the placebo effect. My truck now shifts quicker and a bit firmer. I like it a lot.

I'll add, I like firmer ride of my Bilsteins as well. I want to experience the machine, not ne isolated from it.

Maybe it's the 4.10 rear end, and I know that around here it ain't cool to not be hating up on the 545RFE, but I like mine real well.

Octane

Reaction score
Mine shifts very smoothly cold or warm.Mine had the filters changed at well over 100k for the first time. Now at 156k

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
My 545 shifts great with the Superchips shift points. Shifted fine before too, just a little firmer now.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My last truck, a 2009 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7L , 545RFE five-speed automatic with Overdrive

Shifted like it should, both under light & heavy throttle

There was only one time that it shifted hard
when climbing a 6% grade using Cruise Control at 70 MPH, the engine would lose RPM and Speed & the transmission would downshift from the highest gear to whichever gear it shifted into, exactly when it shifted down, it shift harshly & i was forced back in my seat & before i knew it, i was doing 70+

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My 545rfe 2500 Sometimes shifts awsome and sometimes meh but not enough to hate having it. Biggest gripe is shift points around 28- 42 mph it wants to lug at 1100-1300.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
My last truck, a 2009 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7L , 545RFE five-speed automatic with Overdrive

Shifted like it should, both under light & heavy throttle

There was only one time that it shifted hard
when climbing a 6% grade using Cruise Control at 70 MPH, the engine would lose RPM and Speed & the transmission would downshift from the highest gear to whichever gear it shifted into, exactly when it shifted down, it shift harshly & i was forced back in my seat & before i knew it, i was doing 70+

I actually had this issue too a few days ago.

First time i’ve taken this truck up a hill since i installed a new trans, and it shifted so hard i thought that the trans would fall out. I had to floor it up the hills as it was fully loaded with people, hauling a small trailer, and the A/C was on. After flooring it and the truck went to downshift, it shifted so hard (like i stated) that i thought the trans was going to fall out.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Thanks everyone for the answers, hopefully more will answer later tomorrow and the days after.

Maybe there’s something wrong with my truck (once again), or maybe it’s because i have extreme backlash in the drivetrain? I’m almost 100% sure my driveshaft u-joints are bad because when putting it in drive or reverse there’s a LOUD “BANG” but i can’t feel it physically shifting into gear. Not sure, if anyone has any advise i’d like to hear it.

I just replaced the fluid with mopar OEM filters and oreillys ATF+4, after a solenoid pack replacement. Valve body bolts were torqued for around 5 FT-LBs, don’t know 100% for sure as my torque wrench broke and i was mostly going off of feel.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Maybe there’s something wrong with my truck (once again), or maybe it’s because i have extreme backlash in the drivetrain? I’m almost 100% sure my driveshaft u-joints are bad because when putting it in drive or reverse there’s a LOUD “BANG” but i can’t feel it physically shifting into gear. Not sure, if anyone has any advise i’d like to hear it.
Grab the driveshaft and turn it by hand, if it's the u-joints and/or differential you'll be able to see and feel that. Also drive-line slop can usually be heard/felt if you get on and off the throttle briskly while driving.

OP
OP
TheEnder

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Grab the driveshaft and turn it by hand, if it's the u-joints and/or differential you'll be able to see and feel that. Also drive-line slop can usually be heard/felt if you get on and off the throttle briskly while driving.

Yeah, that’s exactly what it feels like. The transmission mount also might be going out, but i’m not 100% sure about it.

If you get on the gas (doesn’t matter the throttle angle) from 10MPH it’ll sound like you’re hammering a hollow tube with a very noticeable JUMP.

I need to check u-joints still, but i can almost guarantee that’s what’s wrong. The rear diff also howls pretty bad, but not THAT bad.

So, just to restate, the hard shifting has a possibility of not being the tranny and being u-joints?