Question & info about A/C condenser fan motor - '02 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B17E1943

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A friend and I rebuilt my '02 A/C condenser fan motor last week. I am a bit of a miser, and he is an electronics genius - he wanted to take a stab at fixing the motor, and that was fine with me.

Anyway - the motor died last year, and I finally got tired of the lack of A/C in town when the truck is not moving - it is just a tad uncomfortable here in Redding, CA - one of the hottest places in the universe in the Summer.

I used my 1947 Snap-on F-70N 3/8 rat for the teardown if anybody cares about vintage tools.

When the motor was out, my bud Charlie uncrimped the rear of the motor, and we discovered that one of the brushes was about half there, and the other was completely gone.

There is a local electric motor guy who rebuilds them who referred us to a guy who rebuilds starters and alternators. He said to give him a couple hrs and he'd see what he could dig up. Couple hrs later he called and said it was done.

He soldered a couple new brushes in; we reassembled the motor, and it works great - it seems to me that the A/C is colder that it was before. Ten whole bucks - can't beat that deal.

The question is - the fan blows towards the front. Logic tells me that it should suck air towards the engine compartment instead of blowing forward against the wind coming in towards the cab. Makes no sense.

We changed nothing to make the motor rotate opposite of the way it logically should.

I have attached a photo of the tag on the motor. I see a notation CCW - I presume that means counter clockwise. Does that mean the rotation is CCW viewed from the front of the truck, or sitting in the driver's seat?

Apologies for the long babblethon - Thanks much!!

AC condenser fan motor, April 30, 2019.JPG

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The fan should most definitely pull air, from front to back. CW and CCW is the thread orientation of propeller shaft. Clockwise threads or Counter Clockwise threads.

Sounds like the brushes were installed backwards, the leads are backwards, or the bottom plate wasn't aligned properly. Have you tried reversing the wire terminals?

OP
OP
B

B17E1943

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. :waytogo:

Not yet, wanted to get a few opinions.

Do you mean reverse the wires in the harness going to the motor? That is pretty easily doable.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct!

The harness should be a simple "2 wire" harness. Reverse the wires, and reverse the flow current.

Brushed-motor.jpg