Questions about 5’7” bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I’m thinking about trading my 2014 2500 for a 2020 1500 with the 5’7” bed and ramboxes. I’ve never had anything smaller than a 6’4” bed. Do any of you with the shorter bed feel like it limits you? Will I still be able to haul my golf cart? How do you haul lumber and such?

yakalong

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the 5' 7 bed and my brother has the 6' 4 bed. His is so much better. It seems like when we haul stuff from wood, farm gear or anything in mine it is tight where his is just better in my opinion. My next truck will have the bigger bed. The only thing that mine is better at is getting it in my garage. The 6' 4 won't fit.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 5'7". Things like lumber aren't really an issue with the tailgate down; but haven't hauled anything over 8ft. The 6'4" would be nice but another 9 inches is an issue for my garage. Not to mention that I have a grille guard on my truck so I can't move it forward in the garage without a lot of re-organizing.
If I had a quad cab instead of a crew cab, then I would go with a 6'4". As for the ramboxes, I like the idea but I've read a number of negative comments on this site about about the quality of the fit/alignment. Doesn't seem to me that any golf cart I've ever been familiar with would fit in a rambox; think you would need a trailer.

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I have a 5'7". Things like lumber aren't really an issue with the tailgate down; but haven't hauled anything over 8ft. The 6'4" would be nice but another 9 inches is an issue for my garage. Not to mention that I have a grille guard on my truck so I can't move it forward in the garage without a lot of re-organizing.
If I had a quad cab instead of a crew cab, then I would go with a 6'4". As for the ramboxes, I like the idea but I've read a number of negative comments on this site about about the quality of the fit/alignment. Doesn't seem to me that any golf cart I've ever been familiar with would fit in a rambox; think you would need a trailer.

The cart will fit in the rambox width wise. I’m worried about it fitting length wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m thinking about trading my 2014 2500 for a 2020 1500 with the 5’7” bed and ramboxes. I’ve never had anything smaller than a 6’4” bed. Do any of you with the shorter bed feel like it limits you? Will I still be able to haul my golf cart? How do you haul lumber and such?

Yes, I initially had a 2012 1500 CC with the 5.7 bed and ramboxes. I’m currently leasing a 2018 1500 CC with the 6.4 bed and ramboxes. I had problems hauling items with the 5.7 bed when compared to the 6.4 bed. The extra 10 inches of bed length makes a big difference, especially when using the rambox extender. My lease expires on 4/10/2021 and currently RAM does not offer a 5th gen 6.4 bed rambox option. I also don’t like how the CC looks with the 5.7 bed - the cab is noticeably larger than the bed - looks lopsided to me. The 6.4 bed evens out the look of the truck. I get why the 5.7 exists - it helps the trucks fit into standard size garages lengthwise.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As would I, but it seems 99% of 1500s come with the shorter bed, and I really want the ram boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only current option available if you want both the 6.4 bed and ramboxes - is to move up to the 2500 line which offers both.

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
The only current option available if you want both the 6.4 bed and ramboxes - is to move up to the 2500 line which offers both.

I’m aware, which is why I’m considering the shorter bed. I have a 2014 2500 right now and I’m kinda tired of the terrible ride, plus I no longer have a need for a 2500 nor do I want to spend 2500 money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Different Drummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
I have the shorter bed without Rambox. I can tell you this. If you do go for the shorter bed I would recommend to definitely get the Rambox. The reason I say this is because on the 5' 7" box the distance between the front end of the wheel well and the front of the box is so short it is useless. Nothing can be placed into that area. Same applies to the distance from the rear end of the wheel well to the tailgate. There is a little more room here but not much. Having lost this area for any practical use you might as well have the Rambox and have a purpose for those areas. Also, I did haul a BMW motorcycle in mine once and had to leave the tailgate down so the rear tire would ride on the tailgate. I worried a bit about the weight on the tailgate cables, especially when going over bumps etc.
I am very happy with my choice of RAM. I just wish I had ordered the RAMbox. If I had a 6'4" box I might not feel as strongly about it. The possible solution for my needs is to install an A&E topper with the side doors with tool compartments inside. But then again that raises some limitations as well.
Good luck with your decision.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
casey1981