Ra 5.0 to 8.4 radio bezel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Damn, I need to do another update already?! I just did one!

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I just wish I could get a version where my iPod, aux, sxm and nav ALL work.

It's either sxm/nav without iPod/aux
Or iPod/aux working without nav/sxm.

FML.

What version are yall peeps running, what trim level truck, and does EVERYTHING work(minus in-radio climate controls)????

OutlawTrucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
14.25.05 express, all but climate and my uconnect.

iPod/aux work too?

On 14.25.5 I have no sxm/nav
On 14.47.1 I have no iPod/aux

Everything else otherwise works.

My truck came with Bluetooth.

Starting to think the radio being from a jeep/Durango is the issue.

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
14.25.05 tradesman 3500 drw, all but climate and my uconnect

I just checked 14 ram, and it came up with 14.25, did you use another vin and get a different version?
perhaps you got the RA3 update. I still get 14.25 how did you get this other one?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
iPod/aux work too?

On 14.25.5 I have no sxm/nav
On 14.47.1 I have no iPod/aux

Everything else otherwise works.

My truck came with Bluetooth.

Starting to think the radio being from a jeep/Durango is the issue.

I will check the Ipod and aux tomorrow.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The 14.47.1 (UCONNECT® 8.4AN_RA4_14.47.1_MY15 ) update is for 2015 rams!!! In 2015 Chrysler made slight hardware and software changes to the radio. I have been told by others with 2014 radios that when they tried installing this their radio rejected it as invalid. Did you download this using a 14 or a 15 vin?

I tried half a dozen 14 vins, with late model year production dates and I always get 14.25.5. (I got them off of dealer websites)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Corning, here is what they said
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423079926.555936.jpg
I am currently waiting on the shark fin and other cables. That should do it I hope!

skosturram

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 ram 2500
Engine
yes adding cell ant and its cable will get rid of messages but will not connect to access service

OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I added the toagas antenna and that didn't work. Others have done it and it took care of the issue, it was worth a try.

OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
Looking at the BACK of the radio there is 4 connections, can someone please tell me if I did this right. Far right cell antenna skip one then the Sirius antenna then empty.

domestique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 (1500 Express)
Engine
HEMI 5.7 (8 speed)
Just to verify something.

When upgrading from a 2014 uconnect 5 to uconnect 8.4 NAV...

The only things that do not work like the factory are the on screen HVAC controls and the 911 calling. Do you lose any other features?

Anyone use the lockpick kit to jailbreak their uconnect.

Also, for anyone still getting the 911 error, you can buy a purple cable to turn that off (still won't call 911, but you won't have the error message).

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
If you install the correct antenna, you will also get 911 and yelp capabilities. The things you won't get are uconnect access or the via mobile apps ie slacker, iheart, aha and pandora which is bs because the do not use the embedded aircard to access them they use your personal phone. These apps would have to be reinstalled by uconnect, which they told me they would not do. You can still use the apps by loading them on your phone and streaming them.

I have installed RAX jailbreak silver as well, I also installed the OEM chmsl cam and front cam. The one issue that bugs me is I can only force the cargo cam and cannot toggle thru cams because I have no back button.

You do not totally loose onscreen hvac, they still display and change along with the controls you just can't make changes using the touch screen.

As far as uconnect goes I did successfully ping thier server with my radio but thier server rejected me because my vin is not coded for the RA4 or
the specific s/n of my radio. This would be an easy fix on thief part but they refuse to do it.

One thing I wonder is if you go into engineering mode which I can't yet and put the radio in demo mode would you be able to use the via mobile apps.

Oh Rherman you are correct the third connector is not used, this is for a gps antenna, which is available I have pn for it. This antenna is not required and I believe Chrysler does not install it either. Actually I reread your post you mistakenly said then empty on the am fm ant. Not sure why the confusion the antenna connectors are all color coded just match the colors with the purple end one being used for cellular.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
When my antenna and cables get here I am installing them and will let y'all know what happens! Thanks cptwing

Last edited:

domestique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 (1500 Express)
Engine
HEMI 5.7 (8 speed)
When my antenna and cables get here I am installing them and will let y'all know what happens! Thanks cptwing

Does the 8.4 NAV require an antenna? I thought it was built in?

Has anyone used the normal MOPAR 8.4 console bezel (not the fabricated OEM one) and used that in a truck that came factory with a uconnect 5"?

I plan on using a jail break software, and really need the "back" button from the factory 8.4" bezel to take advantage of the jailbreak software.

Thanks guys.

OP
OP
Rherman1

Rherman1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummings
On the Nav I did not need an antenna for it, I was told that the sirius and nav antenna work together.
Cptwing, I forgot about the white antenna wire and yes they are color coded, I did hook them up that way I just second guessed it as it wasn't working and we had another guy who used the same toagas antenna I have work that was all.

domestique

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 (1500 Express)
Engine
HEMI 5.7 (8 speed)
Does anyone know if buying the factory 8.4 dash is plug in play with the 5" uconnect dash?

I.e I have a 2014 Express with the 5" uconnect and round dial HVAC controls. Can I buy the factory 8.4" uconnect dash with HVAC arrows, back button and screen off and have them plug in and work? Or does this require major wiring?

From this:

9w_800.jpg

To this:

maxresdefault.jpg

I would rather not buy the OEM one for 300 bucks, when it is still missing the back button and screen off needed for jail break operation.

aqualite75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using the factory 8.4 bezel is kind of the holy grail. It's not plug and play, and no one has really been able to pull it off 100%. There is a huge thread on another site, and one I started here as well. To put it simply the climate plug is different and will not work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca